Valve stem protectors

/ Valve stem protectors #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The only thing I got extra with my 3054XS was this watch dog. )</font> Maybe you should go back to the dealer and get him to put that hood ornament on the hood where it belongs! Seriously, what a great dog. John

/ Valve stem protectors #22  
I just put a valve stem protector on a half hour ago because a beach limb cleaned off my rear valve stem.This is the third stem that has been broken like this. I used a 1.5" tall piece of 2 " pipe. I took a strip of paper and wraped it around the pipe to make a template,Then i taped the two end of the paper together to make a paper pipe. Then out to the tractor with a pair of sissors and trimmed the paper pipe till it fit the wheel flush. Then i went back to the real steel pipe slipped the template adound it and marked the outside of the pipe with a marker. On to the grinder to remove the area needed took the pipe to the wheel and welded it in place i also made a light weight tin cover that will, with two small sheet metal screws attach to the top of the pipe and compleatly block off the stem.Tomorrow i will take the tire to the shop and get a new tube and re-fill with calicum.about $150.00 if i remember right. Please forgive any spelling erros i am a tinkerer of sorts not an english teacher.By the way this is my first post but i always seem to end up at this forum so figured i might as well join in.

Last edited:
   / Valve stem protectors #23  
Welcome to TBN Jeff. I admire your ingenuity. The valve stem protector should work fine. Not sure the tin cap is really necessary though. What are you goimg to do for the other wheels? I would imagine if your tires are loaded then you could safely weld protectors on them without removing them so long as you weld "underwater" but don't try it if they are just filled with air. I've seen videos of tires exploding when someone welds the wheel while it is inflated with just air.

/ Valve stem protectors #24  
Welcome to TBN Jeff. I admire your ingenuity. The valve stem protector should work fine. Not sure the tin cap is really necessary though. What are you goimg to do for the other wheels? I would imagine if your tires are loaded and dont have tubes !then you could safely weld protectors on them without removing them so long as you weld "underwater" but don't try it if they are just filled with air. I've seen videos of tires exploding when someone welds the wheel while it is inflated with just air.
Theyll melt.

/ Valve stem protectors #25  
SPYDERLK said:
Theyll melt.

??????

What will melt?

I was saying that he could weld the protector on the other wheel if it was filled with CaCl. You don't think so?

/ Valve stem protectors #27  
The tube.

/ Valve stem protectors #28  
SPYDERLK said:
The tube.

Yep. Forgot that CaCl requiires tube. I was thinking about fluid on the inside to absorb heat. Welding with a tube inside would not be a good idea.

/ Valve stem protectors #29  
If you want to cap it off just use black water pipe. Then put never seize on the cap and screw it on.

/ Valve stem protectors #30  
Well for now i will get by the way it is .The next time i have the tire deflated i will put the other on the rear i have it made already.I put the tire on this morning with the help of my son. it took an hour to get the tube replaced with the ballast added. I cover the protectors because some of my land is quite wet and mud and rocks would eventually find their way into the protectors.They may or may not last but for probably a penny each it really is not a big deal.The cost of the tire repair was $75 not $150 i guess i just dreaded it so much i got the ammount confused.