Winches Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get?

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #1  

xcgreene

Platinum Member
Tractor
2 Kioti DK45SEH's 1969 John D 2510
So I have a Kioti DK45se HST, I'd like to get a logging winch for firewood, as well as wood for timber framing, which can often be timber of 2 1/2ft in diameter. which winch would you recommend putting behind this tractor, the Igland 3501 or 4501? I'm one for leaning a bit on the larger side, but I'd really like to hear from the community on this.

other recommendations will certainly be entertained. Max budget $3000

Thanks all in advance.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #3  
Did you look at Fransgard winch?

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get?
Did you look at Fransgard winch?

Hmmm, that Fransgard V-4000 seems quite nice, just at my max price as well. anyone have one?

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #5  
V-4000--8800lb Pull $3050 cl vt I bought horse hay feeders from him nice guy I don't have any trees left all cleared so no winch:(

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #6  
I recently bought an Igland 3501 for my Kioti NX4510. However, I have not had a chance to use it yet so I cannot report any real world experience with it. I searched this site for quite a while and many folks seemed to think that all of the major brands were roughly equivalent in quality and durability. Since I don't expect to be moving very large logs, I went with the 3501 vs the 4501. In your case, maybe the 4501 would be a better bet. I will list some info here that I put together during my search. Maybe it will help you and maybe not:

Local tractor dealer:

Wallenstein FX85 - 8500 lbs - $4296 + tax
Fransgard V3004 - 6600 lbs - $3285 + tax
Fransgard V3507 - 7275 lbs - $3575 + tax
Fransgard V4000 - 8800 lbs - $3965 + tax

Reed Supply Co. in St. Johnsburry, VT

Igland 3501 - 7800 lbs - $2495 + $125 shipping
Igland 4501 - 10120 lbs - $2925 + shipping

Labonville (did not have any in stock at the time so I didn't buy there)

Norse 350 (same as Igland 3501) - $2595 + tax
Norse 450 (same as Igland 4501) - $3095 + tax

I had hoped to buy from my local tractor dealer but the $1000 price difference was too much. Maybe I could have done better if I haggled but I don't like to do that. From what I found on this site, Fransgard and Igland both seemed to have good reputations. For the same money, you can get an Igland 4501 that pulls 1300 lbs. more than the Fransgard V4000 (at least on paper). I also liked the fact that the butt plate can be hinged in the Igland units by the removal of pins so that it can ride over obstacles instead of catching on them.

Also note that Labonville carries both the Igland 3501 and 4501 but re-brand them as the Norse 350 and 450.

Delivery from Vt. to Maine was only a couple of days.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #7  
I also have a DK45SE HST. I have an older Farnsgard. Can't remember which model, but it is an 8,000# winch. I pull 18"-24" x 16 ft white pine or several 8 to 16" logs out easily. I only run at 1200 rpm. Winch capacity is never the issue. If they dig in or get fouled they try to, haul the 6,000# plus tractor to them. And we have plenty to foul them up here. I guess I would be a little intimidated by a 10,000# winch. I would probably seriously break something very expensive to repair. If I had level, clear land I may have a different view. BTY hi neighbor.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #8  
Look at ground clearance, does the biggest winch leave you with enough clearance for adventures in the terrain? Igland has hinged blade that makes a hughe difference if you don't have a full size tractor with real ground clearance.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #9  
I've had the 3601 for about 20 years....it's held up well. Don't know the rating on it, but I've pulled out 24" logs without too much trouble.

IF you plan on 30" logs regular, I'd probably go with the larger version....but you may run into your tractor being the issue, assuming that is a 45hp tractor you have My current one is a 41hp, the NH in the photo was 33, and frankly too lite weight for doing the things I was doing. I kept breaking things....like the main frame....ahahahahaa.

enhance

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get?
Follow Up.

So I wound up purchasing an Igland 4501 from Reed Supply Co. in Vermont. $3000 shipped. Came with PTO shaft, 3 chokers, 3 slides and 165ft of cable on the drum. Availability at the time was a large factor, as they had them ready to ship. I really liked the Fransgard V-4000 winch but it was no longer available from the supplier that I liked. Other distributors were selling the Fransgard for much more money, around $4000 shipped. This was too far above budget for what I was looking for. I also already have an Igland Sundown GR40 grapple which I have been very please with, so going Igland again was comfortable.

The winch came on a pallet upon delivery, only assembly required was the butt plate, and the 2 cords for the clutch and brake. The PTO shaft was the perfect setup for my tractor, no cutting required in this case.

I was worried before I took delivery that this Igland 4501 would be a bit too large for my Kioti DK45se hst, but now that its mounted, and I have used it, I very happy with the decision. Even though the butt plate can hinge to get over obstacles, the 3pt hitch still lifts it plenty high off the ground, and when it is down, the pto is about parallel with the ground, which is good for operation. The butt plate is about 60" wide, and the winch is about 75" tall. It sits inside my rear tires and below my ROPs

The quality is quite good. Stout and fully enclosed, but easily opened up. Very simple and well organized. But 2 things I think could be improved. When the winch is not hooked up to the tractor, the kick stand that it leans on is not mounted in a very sturdy place. It's very strange as the rest of the winch is built so well. Nothing a few minutes welding in a gusset or two wouldn't fix, so why didn't they at the factory? Something I'll probably fix when I weld in a square receiver into the butt plate so I can tow things around. The way the Butt Plate comes off this should be very easy. Second is the manual. The exploded view diagrams were fine, but the operation/user manual is ****. Poorly written and vague. This machine may be simple, but I still feel it deserve a good instruction and care manual.

I'm very happy with its operation. With the butt plate properly dug in, and the engine at 1200 rpm, the winch pulled smoothly and powerfully. The tractor, in this case, is most certainly the limiting factor here, as I'm sure it could pull itself right over. But with proper operation, this is not an issue. I'd rather be in this boat, then have a small winch, as I will also be using it on my larger and heavier john deere 2510.

Overall I think the Igland 4501 is a simple and stout, easy to operate, no bells and whistles winch that will last a lifetime if properly cared for, which I'm not quite sure how to, as the manual is ****.

At this point, I'm very happy with the purchase.
1 Arrived on Pallet.jpg
From The Back, Winch.jpg
2 Winch Down.jpg
3 Winch Up.jpg
Pulling log out.jpg

Last edited: