Winches Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get?

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #31  
Yep, there痴 only a few small bolts holding a tractor together. Running a strap under the tractor and anchoring directly to the skidding winch would be a lot safer bet.

I guess snatch-blocking off the logging winch from the front winch would fix that possible disaster from happening.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #32  
I guess snatch-blocking off the logging winch from the front winch would fix that possible disaster from happening.
I think NOT! You still are pulling on the front of the tractor...

Why not just run a chain from the REAR winch forward to a tree or ??

SR

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #33  
I think NOT! You still are pulling on the front of the tractor...

Why not just run a chain from the REAR winch forward to a tree or ??

SR

What I meant was to run the winch cable to the rear of the tractor to a block and then forward to my anchor point. Not the other way around.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #34  
What I meant was to run the winch cable to the rear of the tractor to a block and then forward to my anchor point. Not the other way around.

Tractor won稚 be anchored unless the winch is up against the anchor tree on the same side of the winch plate or somehow connected to the anchor tree on the opposite side of the winch plate with a solid chain (like running a chain directly under the tractor, out the front and then to the anchor).

Winch running to snatch block on anchor tree to log ( making a V) doesn稚 change the force on the winch plate unless the winch plate is physically anchored to the tree as above.

Newton痴 third law- equal but opposite force.

Ordered a 3501 for my 1736. Should be here today. Looking forward to pulling some hardwoods this weekend.

W

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #35  
As to where to store saws, oil, etc. I put a plastic larger ammo box on the right side FEL Support. One bolt throught the existing hole in the orange upright, (seen in SCGreene's pic of his ammo box mount), and done. I shimmed the underside of the box to make it level where the grey support is that attaches to the tractor frame.
For my saw mount I bought a one piece Kolpin saw bracket kit, and mounted it to the right side above the fender. It is attached to the ROPS bracket, with no drilling or added bolts beyond what comes with the kit, except for a couple of U bolts which attach to the kit's mounting plate. It is up out of the way of the PTO and that general area and the saw is protected by the ROPS and tractor structure.
Neat, clean and no need to construct anything, no extra brackets or fab work.
I also added a small vice and another Kolpin saw kit to my ATV back rack to work on saws and carry a spare saw, ready to go. For oil/gas etc. I put small quart size oil behind seat, and tie a small mix fuel to convenient place behind the seat too.
Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #36  
Was searching for posts regarding the Igland 4501 & 3501. Also looking at the Wallenstein products. Was wondering now that it has been a few years how you like the 4501. I will be mostly using it on a 4066r JD. Any new updates or thoughts on your unit at this point? Thanks!

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #37  
I like my winch and it has been working out great for me. I try to use stumps or thr base of a tree for an anchor rather than bulldozing the ground if the tractor gets pulled backwards. One thing that you need to do when you get one is to run you cable almost all the way out. Hook the end of the cable on a swivel that is anchored. Put you tractor in neutral and pull on the winch cord and roll the winch cable back onto the spool. Mind must have spun 8 - 10 times while reeling it back in. Try to never feel it in with a weight on it. The cable will cross itself and be a real PITA to unspool by hand. I did it once and had to tie off the cable and go forward with my tractor to unspool it.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get?
I've used my 4501 pretty extensively over the last 2-3 years since this post. I would definitely buy it again. It's a very straightforward winch. Rugged and easy to operate. I remember having concerns about sizing of the 4501 on the dk45se. Its a great fit. I have never wished it were smaller. The ease of moving the pulley higher or lower so quickly has been handy. I've also welded on a few more hangers on the guard rail.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #39  
I like my winch and it has been working out great for me. I try to use stumps or thr base of a tree for an anchor rather than bulldozing the ground if the tractor gets pulled backwards. One thing that you need to do when you get one is to run you cable almost all the way out. Hook the end of the cable on a swivel that is anchored. Put you tractor in neutral and pull on the winch cord and roll the winch cable back onto the spool. Mind must have spun 8 - 10 times while reeling it back in. Try to never feel it in with a weight on it. The cable will cross itself and be a real PITA to unspool by hand. I did it once and had to tie off the cable and go forward with my tractor to unspool it.
Spellcheck got me on this post. Try to never reel the cable in without any weight on it.