Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install

/ Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install #1  

flyash

Tractor
Kubota L4400/LA764, B2710, RTV1100, Z122R
The directions with the kit are simple to follow. I'm not going to get too detailed because there isn't much to it. I took pics also but seriously.....nothing to it!! Feel free to PM me for questions.

1-Remove deck from mower.
2-Remove blades from deck.
3-Remove discharge guide, bolts and nuts from deck. I had an issue here. Rounded off the nuts (12mm) on #1 in diagram see pic. Remove anti scalp wheel (9/16) for easier access. Ended up grinding off bolt head and touching up with some Kubota Orange paint.
4-Install baffles and use correct hardware in designated places.
5-Install new blades. Align them as Owner's Man directs.
6-Install deck back to mower.
7- Belt on pulley!!! Take tension spring off first......place belt on drive pulley.....then use strong strap to loop in spring to install spring on deck.

I know this isn't much.....but I hope it helps somewhat.

Attachments

• Capture14.JPG
    Capture14.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 4,351
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 7,791
  • Capture13.JPG
    Capture13.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 7,354
   / Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install #2  
The directions with the kit are simple to follow. I'm not going to get too detailed because there isn't much to it. I took pics also but seriously.....nothing to it!! Feel free to PM me for questions.

1-Remove deck from mower.
2-Remove blades from deck.
3-Remove discharge guide, bolts and nuts from deck. I had an issue here. Rounded off the nuts (12mm) on #1 in diagram see pic. Remove anti scalp wheel (9/16) for easier access. Ended up grinding off bolt head and touching up with some Kubota Orange paint.
4-Install baffles and use correct hardware in designated places.
5-Install new blades. Align them as Owner's Man directs.
6-Install deck back to mower.
7- Belt on pulley!!! Take tension spring off first......place belt on drive pulley.....then use strong strap to loop in spring to install spring on deck.

I know this isn't much.....but I hope it helps somewhat.

Thanks for input. You lost me with number 1.:eek::thumbdown::shocked::confused3:
No, just kidding.:D:thumbsup: But I was hoping you would say you did NOT remove the deck and it was simple easy peasy by just lifting front end with tractor FEL and only took 10 minutes with simple ratchet, wire pliers and one socket. :cool2: But alas, you did not.:laughing:
Had another installer said he finally removed the deck or that he should have removed the deck for easiest install.
Guess I'll just start by removing the deck and proceed as you did and sure I'll strip at least one screw head.
Thanks again.:drink:

/ Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install
LOL...wish I could have had an easy out on a few of the steps, but no dice man! Only way to leave the deck attached to the mower for this install would be to flip the whole mower over. Should be an easy install if you don't round off the two nuts as I had done. Tightened by a freak then painted over.....was aggravating!

Think I may add a suspension seat next. I do like that my girth isn't restricted by the arm rests right now tho

Good luck on your install bud!

/ Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install #4  
I tried to install the kit without removing the deck but quickly came to the conclusion that it was necessary.

/ Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install #5  
Thanks for input. You lost me with number 1.:eek::thumbdown::shocked::confused3: No, just kidding.:D:thumbsup: But I was hoping you would say you did NOT remove the deck and it was simple easy peasy by just lifting front end with tractor FEL and only took 10 minutes with simple ratchet, wire pliers and one socket. :cool2: But alas, you did not.:laughing: Had another installer said he finally removed the deck or that he should have removed the deck for easiest install. Guess I'll just start by removing the deck and proceed as you did and sure I'll strip at least one screw head. Thanks again.:drink:
Come on JT! I see you've had the kit for at least 3 weeks! Your wife deserves better!

/ Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install #6  
Come on JT! I see you've had the kit for at least 3 weeks! Your wife deserves better!

:D:D:D It came just before we went on a weeks vacation. 1st excuse and I had a 24'x48'x10' metal barn built last year and wife "insisted" I wanted a concrete floor instead of the gravel and I finally gave in and had the floor poured 2nd excuse and then my grandkids took over the barn for bike riding and just took it over with complaints of my tractor and mowers being in the way so I built a 10' x 24' loft 5' off the floor across the back this week, final nailing down of floor sheathing to do 3rd excuse and I'm old 4th excuse and it's hot 5th excuse and I hate laying down on concrete and even worse gravel 6th excuse and was hoping for a divine intervention of coming home and finding it already installed 7th excuse or at least an answer of how someone installed it easier than you did 8th excuse soooo yard now needs mowed again so I'll nail some sheathing down today and get the deck off today and maybe do some mowing today unless a better option comes up. :dance1: We do have a new Harbour Freight store opened about 3 weeks ago and I haven't been yet to look at it and I've got scads of coupons and want some things so I might need to go there today and do nailing and modifications next week!!!:cool2: Hey, that's excuse number 9.:thumbsup::drink:

/ Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install #7  
Mulch kit installed and deck back on mower. Had to use impact tools to remove bolts and had to cut one by wheel off with metal cutter.
Seems to have excessive vibration now when blades engaged? Ideas/suggestions?.

/ Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install #8  
Mulch kit installed and deck back on mower. Had to use impact tools to remove bolts and had to cut one by wheel off with metal cutter.
Seems to have excessive vibration now when blades engaged? Ideas/suggestions?.
:thumbsup: Hmmm... on the vibe issue. I haven't experienced that. New mulching blades, correct? Should be decently balanced. No clue on how to check/correct. Wondering if the deck has seen some abuse to sort of knock it out of balance?

How about the cut? I hope you tell me you (the better half) like it better than side discharge spraying.

/ Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install #9  
I would expect the blades to be balanced just fine out of the box. Maybe remove them and spin to see if they are the culprit. Hope so, or... the spindles are tweaked?

/ Kubota Z122R Mulch Kit Install #10  
:thumbsup: Hmmm... on the vibe issue. I haven't experienced that. New mulching blades, correct? Should be decently balanced. No clue on how to check/correct. Wondering if the deck has seen some abuse to sort of knock it out of balance?

How about the cut? I hope you tell me you (the better half) like it better than side discharge spraying.
Cut and no grass spray is fantastic
I would expect the blades to be balanced just fine out of the box. Maybe remove them and spin to see if they are the culprit. Hope so, or... the spindles are tweaked?
I had no smoothness issues with other blades but will check exterior appearance of pulleys and belt threading and if I don't see anything, remove blades and see if they are balanced. May put old blades back on (lifting machine and NOT removing deck) and see what they do.