Oil & Fuel Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #31  
Dave. Only one dealer for Stanadyne in the province it looks. Ive heard good things. Most guys here run KleenFlo... because its cheap and available everywhere. Howes is too.

I remember reading a comparison that compared the big brands of additives, wish I could find it again.

You might be thinking of that Wear Scar test. Interesting data, from what looked like an independently done test. Sorry, don't have a copy handy.

'Dyne Performance Formula didn't place all that high, as that is a lubrication test. So, I run their Lube too. Also liked the no alcohol aspect. In the additive that is.... I'm fine with alcohol for other applications ! :drink:

Dyne additives are pretty pricey here too (Central ON). I pick mine up at D&W Diesel, upstate NY. Haven't asked, they might ship to Canada ? Looks like closest dealer to you would be Bangor ME. USA pricing is no more than half what I've seen here.

If you want to try a small bottle locally, I've seen 'Dyne at International dealers, and also one NH dealer in Canada.

I always hear good things about Howes, and I've used Kleen Flo in gas applications. I liked how 'Dyne approached the water issue.

Rgds, D.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25
Im going to look into it a bit further.. Racor fuel products are available locally.. Im sure they are a rebrand of somebodies though.

Right now, Im using PS.. I think I treated the tank of fuel before I had my gelling issue... but im not 100% positive, so im going on the assumption that I didnt. That said.. Im still not sold on the PS products. The 911 that is supposed to be a miracle worker didnt do that much, it was not until the temps rose that I thawed enough to move the tractor... But then again, the new fuel that I put in, that Im positive I treated with PS White has given me no issues.. I dont know if thats do the new filter.. treated fuel .. or a combination of both?

What kind of prices are you seeing for the Standyne products? There is a dealer in Halifax, so if I go with them, I wont have to ship.

I think were talking about the same test? Not sure though. I cant remember where I came across it to be honest.. I do remember that some products that get rave reviews, didnt do that well in the testing.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #33  
Im going to look into it a bit further.. Racor fuel products are available locally.. Im sure they are a rebrand of somebodies though.

Right now, Im using PS.. I think I treated the tank of fuel before I had my gelling issue... but im not 100% positive, so im going on the assumption that I didnt. That said.. Im still not sold on the PS products. The 911 that is supposed to be a miracle worker didnt do that much, it was not until the temps rose that I thawed enough to move the tractor... But then again, the new fuel that I put in, that Im positive I treated with PS White has given me no issues.. I dont know if thats do the new filter.. treated fuel .. or a combination of both?

What kind of prices are you seeing for the Standyne products? There is a dealer in Halifax, so if I go with them, I wont have to ship.

I think were talking about the same test? Not sure though. I cant remember where I came across it to be honest.. I do remember that some products that get rave reviews, didnt do that well in the testing.

I'm paying about $20 USD for 64oz, in the USA. The one 16oz bottle I bought here was something like $14 C, so I didn't bother pricing here after that one - you may be able to do better than that.

Rgds, D.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #34  

I finally found it. The wear scar test. Theres a link to the PDF in the first post here:

Lubricity Additive Study Discussion - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

I'm pretty sure this was the original thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-confused-about-various-diesel-additives.html

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25
That was the one. Thanks Don.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #37  
   / Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #38  
Just found out the local Loves has biodiesel. Has me wondering if a little in the scar test was good would running it straight be better. But this say
The cloud point of soybean biodiesel is about 34ーF
That has me thinking it would be a bad idea in the winter. How could they sell the stuff to truckers or anyone in the winter if it causes problems at freezing ?

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #39  
Just found out the local Loves has biodiesel. Has me wondering if a little in the scar test was good would running it straight be better. But this say
That has me thinking it would be a bad idea in the winter. How could they sell the stuff to truckers or anyone in the winter if it causes problems at freezing ?

I've learned a little about this topic, still have lots to learn though. Suffice to say, one of the realities of ULSD is that the lubrication property of the fuel is not the same.

You'll find various opinions on how to treat ULSD (ranging all the way up to flamewars, on other forums); IMO the key things are:

1) Recognize the problem.

2) Do enough research to begin to understand what is appropriate for your vintage of diesel. As a safe place to start, good quality products like Stanadyne have endorsements from major OEM diesel engine manufacturers.

Ex. - if you live in California, and drive a 2013 diesel, the solution that works for a Manitoba farmer may have you replacing REALLY expensive emission components the next time your diesel is tested.

I think biodiesel can be a good solution, IF you have a consistent good quality source AND don't run really high % Bdiesel right out of the gate. (Biodiesel tends to clean out normal deposits in a fuel system; done too rapidly and you plug a fuel filter).

For my older 7.3, if/when Biodiesel becomes more common here I want to start out with B5 in the Summer.

For lube, some guys just run a good quality 2 stroke oil. Again, you likely won't get into too much trouble doing that on a 1970 era diesel Ag tractor; a late model Ford, Dodge, or Chev diesel p/u might be another story, esp. if you have strict emissions testing in your area.

Another popular solution that did well (from memory...) in that test is Opti Lube XPD. If I was to move from Stanadyne to anything else, that would be it.

Rgds, D.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #40  
Keep in mind, that the wear scar test I linked to was done in 2007. Things may have changed since then because ULSD was just being pushed on us at that time, as well as biodiesel in most places.