Oil & Fuel Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #12  
Yes. It pounds into the first freeze plug hole on the injection pump side. Its a super easy install, like 30 - 45 minutes at most. I'll see if I can grab a pic without having to strip the front clip off the tractor.

OK those with the pound in block heater, have you used them. I got one for my l5740 and from what I can tell is it gets really poor circulation. The heating element in encased in the fitting that is pounded into the block. When it is plugged in it gets blistering hot in 15 seconds which indicates minimal heat transfer. I would wonder that the extreme localized heat might crack a cold block because of expansion at the fitting.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25
OK those with the pound in block heater, have you used them. I got one for my l5740 and from what I can tell is it gets really poor circulation. The heating element in encased in the fitting that is pounded into the block. When it is plugged in it gets blistering hot in 15 seconds which indicates minimal heat transfer. I would wonder that the extreme localized heat might crack a cold block because of expansion at the fitting.

Thats an interesting point.

I know what your saying about the element being shrouded vs. what ive traditionally known a block heater to look like, but it is a factory part and its made by a company who's products Ive installed before without issue so I'm going to trust their engineering, matter of fact, they are one of the few OEM suppliers for block heaters Phillips & Temro - Heating Technology They are in alot of vehicles. If you have a question on its heating efficiency or risks to your engine, Im sure the company would have no problem answering you (they have their contact info on the website). They make their heaters in Winnipeg.

I think the heater design for the Kubotas is a bit of a compromise because the water jackets and frost plugs on these small engines are TINY!!! There really is next to no clearance between the outer wall of the block and the cylinder sleeve. Maybe 1/2-3/4" at most? There really isnt the space to have more of an exposed element then what is supplied when you consider installation issues.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #14  
Nice job Jason and well thought out. I can see something similar in my future. Also nice to have a block heater. oh and I very much doubt any block heater could EVER be the cause of a block cracking due to heat.
I've installed dozens in my lifetime and never had an issue or even heard of one but installing them in the proper location is imperative.

Well we got 60cm's of snow on the way so its seat time for the 5740. :D

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #15  
I hope I am not derailing the original thread by commenting on Kuboman's post.

Kuboman, check out post #3 on this link: New L4240 - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota. Apparently, when installed on the left side of a 4 cylinder Kubota engine, the block heater is not effective. Also, the Kubota block heater installation instructions say "MX5100, M59, L3940, L4740, L5040, L5240, L5740, L4330,L4630, L5030, and L4400 applications require installing the block heater in the freeze plug port on the right hand sde of the engine block closest to the flywheel. The hydraulic pump must be removed for installation in this location." If yours is installed on the LHS, that might be the cause of your heater getting extremely hot.

Kuboman, check out post #3 on this link: New L4240 - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota. Apparently, when installed on the left side of a 4 cylinder Kubota engine, the block heater is not effective. Also, the Kubota block heater installation instructions say "MX5100, M59, L3940, L4740, L5040, L5240, L5740, L4330,L4630, L5030, and L4400 applications require installing the block heater in the freeze plug port on the right hand sde of the engine block closest to the flywheel. The hydraulic pump must be removed for installation in this location." If yours is installed on the LHS, that might be the cause of your heater getting extremely hot.

Great info for Kuboman.:thumbsup:

The design on the 4clys sounds to be significantly different than the 3 cyl. I can say that while the plug on the left side of the BX is small, there is clear access to the water jacket (I know because I had my fingers stuck all the way in while recovering the darn frost plug:eek:)

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #17  

Thanks for that info. I checked out the local Kubota dealer and they are all installed in the left front frost plug. For anyone that has not seen this once you get the freeze plug out you discover that there is a false wall with just a slot for antifreeze to circulate. There is virtually no way for a heating element to get any circulation hence the block heater gets extremely hot and I am sure would not last an hour. This also gives me concern about block damage as the extreme heat is concentrated in one small area. Needless to say I will not be using it. I will plumb in a circulating heater instead.

I checked out the local Kubota dealer and they are all installed in the left front frost plug.

Is that just what your dealer does, or is that the Kubota recommendation? Given the design of the 4 cyl engines around the frost plugs on the LH side, and the post above recommending installation on the RH side, you have to wonder if it's just a case of the dealer trying to take a shortcut against what the instructions say.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #19  
Is that just what your dealer does, or is that the Kubota recommendation? Given the design of the 4 cyl engines around the frost plugs on the LH side, and the post above recommending installation on the RH side, you have to wonder if it's just a case of the dealer trying to take a shortcut against what the instructions say.
The instructions that came with my kit make no mention of where to or not install so I am guessing that the dealer is taking the easy route.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #20  
When I asked my dealer, the service manager said that they always install the block heaters on the left side, and said that, as far as he knew there were no problems. However, the salesman who sold the tractor to me said they rarely install block heaters. When I provided the installation instructions to the service manager, they made arranges to take the tractor back and install the heater on the RHS (good dealer!). I also emailed Kubota service and got a phone call back confirming that the heater must be installed on the RHS. I've attached a copy of the installation instructions. Also, check out this thread: L3940 Block heater - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Document.pdf
    355.3 KB · Views: 428