Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with...

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #1  

Frankdozer

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Case 580CK Backhoe / Loader
I just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with a 200 loader. I paid $1600.00 delivered. It is being delivered today. I looked up the serial number,....... JGF 308806, ....... and it seemed to be a 1963. Gas engine. Runs great and starts right up. On the back there used to be a backhoe. The seller, years ago, removed the backhoe and mounted a forklift. This was done so as he could load the logs onto his sawmill. I need to repair a few things. The sediment bowl leaks which is an easy fix.
The bigger problem is the power steering does not work. I will check the fluids before doing anything drastic.
I need to get all the manuals for it also. Anyone know this model?
Frank

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #2  
You've got yourself a good machine. The 202 is the industrial variant of the MF35. Thick, strong front axle, proper power steering (rather than steering assist), generally has 14.9x24 rear tires on it. There are other differences as well, but they're a true workhorse. I have a MF 35 Utility, which is basically a 202 that looks like a 35.

First and foremost, check the fluid level. There is a large o-ring at the bottom of the reservoir that can dry out and leak. If you find that to be the problem, send me a private message, I have a whole pack of them, I'll send ya one for free. That was the issue with mine, I'd put fluid in, and it would run right out the bottom of the reservoir.

I use Traveller's brand Universal Trans/Hydraulic fluid in the power steering, loader, and in the transmission/rear end of my machine. I like to keep the number of fluids I have onhand at a minimum, Congrats on a sweet purchase! Post up some pictures when you get it. Here's mine:

Attachments

• image-4255718031.jpg
    image-4255718031.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 1,202
  • image-1437884415.jpg
    image-1437884415.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 569
   / Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with...
Hi Shaeff, there is no picture in your reply.
How do I post pictures with an iPhone 6 ?

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #4  
Hi Shaeff, there is no picture in your reply. How do I post pictures with an iPhone 6 ?

Weird, pics show up on my work PC, home PC, and my iPhone.

Are you using the TractorByNet app? If so, press the little + sign in the upper right, attach from photos, then pick whatever you want and upload it.

Press the back arrow in the upper left when you're done uploading, and send in the upper right to post. :)

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #5  
I've had my 203 for a few years. It's got the 222 hoe and 200 FEL. This series (202, 3, 4, 5) are built like tanks. Parts are easy to find except the hoe (speaking from experience as I've done a lot of repairs). There seems to be more issues with steering than anything else. My manual calls for automatic transmission fluid (type A or Dextron) in both power steering and hydraulic system. There's also a small oil filter inside the ps pump. If you haven't already, check out AGCO.com.

Is my Massey 202 normal.....??? I have 3 levers for the tranny. One is high range, low range. One is 1st, 2nd 3rd ... and says shuttle shift. And the third is forward, reverse.
Frank

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #7  
Is my Massey 202 normal.....??? I have 3 levers for the tranny. One is high range, low range. One is 1st, 2nd 3rd ... and says shuttle shift. And the third is forward, reverse. Frank

Yep, well, you're lucky! Mine has the same setup. You will never need to put the gearshift in reverse. The shuttle shift is for reversing direction.

So a normal transmission will have hi/lo, 1,2,3 gears. You're limited ONLY to the reverse gear ratio with a normal trans.

With the shuttle shift, you can leave it in say 3rd gear low, drive the loader into a pile of dirt, press the clutch, flip the shuttle lever to reverse, and you'll be in 3rd low reverse. It's much faster for loader work or tight areas.

My 35 utility has shuttle shift, my cousin's 202 does not. The shuttle is much faster and easier.

Lastly, the levers on your trans are:

Gear shift (R,1,2,3)
Hi/lo range
Shuttle shift (basically a geared reverser)

My gear shift only has 1,2 & 3. No reverse. The forward and reverse is in the shuttle lever.
I removed the gas tank yesterday and the sediment bowl assembly was junk. Would not totally shut off and had no screen. So I知 off today to NAPA for a new one. The tank itself is good so I値l reuse it. I値l swoosh around a mixture of drywall screws and lacquer thinner in it to somewhat clean it inside then reassemble with new gas line.
Frank

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #9  
My gear shift only has 1,2 & 3. No reverse. The forward and reverse is in the shuttle lever.
I removed the gas tank yesterday and the sediment bowl assembly was junk. Would not totally shut off and had no screen. So I知 off today to NAPA for a new one. The tank itself is good so I値l reuse it. I値l swoosh around a mixture of drywall screws and lacquer thinner in it to somewhat clean it inside then reassemble with new gas line.
Frank

Same premise applies, you'll have 3 reverse gears in high range, and 3 reverse gears in low range. Much easier, much faster, overall better than a machine without shuttle shift.

Sounds like you're off to a good start!

Edit: I've added a pic of my shifters. Mine has R-1-2-3 in an H pattern, plus the two other shifters (hi/lo, and shuttle F/R) The shuttle shifter is supposed to be attached via linkage that goes up to the left side of the steering wheel, but mine's long gone and has a small shifter in it's place.

Attachments

• trans.JPG
    trans.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 2,088
   / Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #10  
I just purchased a model 204 with Revers-O-Matic. I have not yet seen the backhoe because it is stored elsewhere (resurrecting that is sure to be an adventure). Loader is model 102. Serial number seems to indicate my tractor is a 1959 model. The learning curve begins.