Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with...

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with...
I searched the Operators Manual and I am convinced it is a 12 volt negative ground. So the previous owner had the battery positive terminal grounded with negative going to the solenoid.
Why did it start and run so good grounded wrong?????
I will negative ground it and see how it runs.
Frank

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #22  
You're getting along just fine, nice work. I have a manual around somewhere, but I do know it should be 12v negative ground. Weird that it's not set up that way.

You're lucky, you've still got the shifter linkage for the shuttle under the steering wheel, mine's gone, hence the three shift knobs on the transmission on my 35.

I attempted to install the battery today and the existing cables aren稚 long enough to do the 12 volt negative ground. New cables are short money but I知 really concerned about the ground and how it ran like that for years.
Frank

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #24  
I attempted to install the battery today and the existing cables aren稚 long enough to do the 12 volt negative ground. New cables are short money but I知 really concerned about the ground and how it ran like that for years. Frank

Only issue I could see you having is with the generator. Might have to rephase it. There are instructions around here somewhere, could probably find on google too.

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #25  
I searched the Operators Manual and I am convinced it is a 12 volt negative ground. So the previous owner had the battery positive terminal grounded with negative going to the solenoid.
Why did it start and run so good grounded wrong?????
I will negative ground it and see how it runs.
Frank

Maybe it is from Australia where electrons circulate backwards when they go down the ground wire?

:jester::jester::rotfl::rotfl::jester::jester:

LOLOLOLOL
⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #27  
I had one of these machines, a hand me down from my dad. It was a really good tractor, iron from front to back. I am reminded of the two things that troubled me.
One, don't leave it outside in the rain. Moisture WILL get into the shift leaver boots, etc. Two, keep fresh gas in it and don't let the tank corrode. As old as it is, not having fuel topped off all the time can, ahem, can lead to rust and funk in your tank. Good luck with the steering. These were real stout tractors. The loader assembly and hydraulics were powerful and true.

n

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #28  
I had one of these machines, a hand me down from my dad. It was a really good tractor, iron from front to back. I am reminded of the two things that troubled me. One, don't leave it outside in the rain. Moisture WILL get into the shift leaver boots, etc. Two, keep fresh gas in it and don't let the tank corrode. As old as it is, not having fuel topped off all the time can, ahem, can lead to rust and funk in your tank. Good luck with the steering. These were real stout tractors. The loader assembly and hydraulics were powerful and true. n

I put new boots on the trans shifters and keep mine under a cover. 3ish years so far and no water ingress yet.

I keep mine topped off too, and installed an inline filter in conjunction with the factory screen/bowl.

Steering is the main issue with these, the system uses a weird recirculating ball valve or something odd like that. Parts are expensive. If mine fails I'll probably go hydrostatic. Easy enough to build if you can find parts cheap on eBay.

I have looked into purchasing the 2 new boots. But each boot is different. The one on the left side is for the speed range and is readily available as it covers only one lever.
The right side boot needs to cover two levers which is the shuttle lever and the high / low range lever. I can not find this boot.
Frank

/ Just purchased a 1963 Massey Ferguson 202 with... #30  
I have looked into purchasing the 2 new boots. But each boot is different. The one on the left side is for the speed range and is readily available as it covers only one lever. The right side boot needs to cover two levers which is the shuttle lever and the high / low range lever. I can not find this boot. Frank

I will look when I get home, I have the part number for the boot you're looking for. It's expensive but well with it.