Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    MAHINDRA 3510 w/ ML112 FEL

Default Fuel Storage Tank and Stand

Here is a fuel tank stand I built for a 75 gallon tank from a Mack truck. The skids are built out of 6" channel iron with 1-1/2" ID pipe used for the spreaders. 3" flat bar was welded to the open side so it could be securely transported by a set of forks. The cradles were made from a section of trailer house frame with a strip of 1/8" sheet metal cut 3" wide and welded in place to hold the tank. The upper part of the frame was made out of the same 1-1/2" ID pipe and 1-1/2" square tubing. A shackle was cut and welded on top to be used as a lifting eye, and a piece of 1/4" plate was used for the mounting location for the hand rotary pump. Brass fittings, valves and fuel hose finish off the plumbing.
    Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc00541-jpg   -dsc00542-jpg   -dsc00543-jpg   -dsc00544-jpg   -dsc00545-jpg  

-dsc00546-jpg   -picture-001-jpg   -picture-002-jpg   -picture-003-jpg   -picture-004-jpg  

-dsc00088-jpg   -dsc00089-jpg   -dsc00090-jpg  
    The original point and click interface was a Colt.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you... the AMERICAN SOLDIER and JESUS CHRIST. One died for your freedom; the other for your soul.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Default Re: Fuel Storage Tank and Stand

Quote Originally Posted by GIJOE View Post
    Here is a fuel tank stand I built for a 75 gallon tank from a Mack truck. The skids are built out of 6" channel iron with 1-1/2" ID pipe used for the spreaders. 3" flat bar was welded to the open side so it could be securely transported by a set of forks. The cradles were made from a section of trailer house frame with a strip of 1/8" sheet metal cut 3" wide and welded in place to hold the tank. The upper part of the frame was made out of the same 1-1/2" ID pipe and 1-1/2" square tubing. A shackle was cut and welded on top to be used as a lifting eye, and a piece of 1/4" plate was used for the mounting location for the hand rotary pump. Brass fittings, valves and fuel hose finish off the plumbing.
    Enjoy.
    Neat
    Good Job.
    Do you fill it with off road?
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    BX2350

Cool, good idea using a truck fuel tank, nice job.
    BX2350

FEL, RCK54 MMM, 4' Farm Star BB, 5' Farm Star RB, 5' Rake

Tractor
    N.H. TC-30

Geez !! I knew I should of kept that passenger tank off the side of my truck when it was replaced last winter after being banged in the side by a half-wit who did not scrape the ice off of his side windows , ( barely had himself a 6" hole scraped in the windshield to see through ) . That was a 100 gallon model with 2 dings in the side towards the bottom , roughly the size of a baseball each . Cost for new tank ............. $1600 !!!!!

Course , his insurance bought it , so I was not to concerned about the cost .

But for others , that is a good idea . Go check at truck dealerships that do body work . The local freightliner dealership here had a couple of tanks behind their body shop awhile back . Any dings like mine are not fixable , since the aluminum is streched , so guess they would go to scrap ??

Nice work .

Fred H.

Tractor
    Hew Holland TC40A

Makes me feel like a cheapskate! I'm using a couple of 55 gal. drums I paid $5 apiece for. Picked up a Gasboy handpump at a garage sale for another $10 (had to put a gasket kit in that). Lifting a full drum out of the back of the pickup with the frontloader is a bit touchy though. The truck fuel tank is a really good idea!
    TC40A, Rhino 2408TL, Rhino SE6, etc.

Tractor
    A couple

Great fabrication job!
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Tractor
    MAHINDRA 3510 w/ ML112 FEL

Thanks for the compliments guys.

When I bought this house I'm living in now, several years ago, the tank was in the backyard. I was originally going to get rid of it, but I couldn't find anyone to take it. I even set it out by the road for the garbage man to pick up but they consider a fuel tank hazardous material and wouldn't touch it. I carried back up to the house, and after it set in the back yard for a couple of years, I got the idea from this forum to build a storage tank.

LBrown59,
    I just finished it couple of weeks ago and have not had time to fill it yet, but yes, it will be filled with off road fuel.

harwill,
    Lifting a full drum out of the back of the pickup with the front loader is a bit touchy though.
    Yes, I know what you mean. That is why I built this to be lifted by a set of forks or from the lifting eye.

Joe
    The original point and click interface was a Colt.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you... the AMERICAN SOLDIER and JESUS CHRIST. One died for your freedom; the other for your soul.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by GIJOE View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

When I bought this house I'm living in now, several years ago, the tank was in the backyard. I was originally going to get rid of it, but I couldn't find anyone to take it. I even set it out by the road for the garbage man to pick up but they consider a fuel tank hazardous material and wouldn't touch it. I carried back up to the house, and after it set in the back yard for a couple of years, I got the idea from this forum to build a storage tank.

1*Lifting a full drum out of the back of the pickup with the front loader is a bit touchy though.
    harwill,

2*Yes, I know what you mean. That is why I built this to be lifted by a set of forks or from the lifting eye.
    Joe
    1* & 2* I wrestled with this till I realized I had a pump to pump the fuel out of the drum .
    I don't do any handling of drums of fuel.
    You did a great job on the tank:
    Only thing I'd have done different is to have plumed in another hose on the pump.

LBrown59,

3*I just finished it a couple of weeks ago and have not had time to fill it yet, but yes, it will be filled with off road fuel.
    3*I get my fuel delivered even though It's only 25 to 55 gallon at a time.
    Have you checked that out.?
    Cost me the same if I go get it.
    Last edited by LBrown59; 01-18-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by harwill View Post
    Makes me feel like a cheapskate! I'm using a couple of 55 gal. drums I paid $5 apiece for. Picked up a Gasboy handpump at a garage sale for another $10 (had to put a gasket kit in that). Lifting a full drum out of the back of the pickup with the front loader is a bit touchy though..
    The truck fuel tank is a really good idea!
    Park the loader/use the pump.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    jd 2520,jd x530

Quote Originally Posted by LBrown59 View Post
    Neat
    Good Job.
    I don't want to sound stupid but what is off road diesel, and where could I get it,is it less expensive.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast