Diesel in gas can

/ Diesel in gas can #21  
as long as there is not a gallon of gas left in it when you fill it the rest of the way with deisel. Empty all the gas into your mower or truck, if gas, and just fill with deisel, but remember what you did if you set it half empty in the shed and 6 months later pick it up!!

/ Diesel in gas can #22  
I don't recommend to anyone that they use the wrong colored container, but as with many of you, there was a time when I had red gas cans and no other color, so I used one for diesel. I did write "DIESEL" on that can with a black Marks-a-Lot, and I knew I would be the only person using either can, so there was no problem

/ Diesel in gas can #23  
I had to get a yellow can for my diesel, and red for my gasoline, along with a small red can for my mixed gas. I'm not the only one dumping fuel here, and can't take a chance on a 'mix-up'.

/ Diesel in gas can #24  
I use blue "kerosene" cans for diesel, they are clearly marked "DIESEL"! The reason is the shape of the can, I couldn't find any diesel cans that are bigger on the bottom than the top, making them more stable when hauling. ~~ grnspot

/ Diesel in gas can #25  
My HHO oil tank, and fill neck are black. Do I need to paint them diesel yellow?
Actually, I think the answer must be no, because the big cylinder tank on the delivery truck is white. I wonder how they get away with that. If I'm color blind and I'm buying winter blend diesel with added kerosene....:rolleyes:

/ Diesel in gas can #26  
My HHO oil tank, and fill neck are black. Do I need to paint them diesel yellow?
Actually, I think the answer must be no, because the big cylinder tank on the delivery truck is white. I wonder how they get away with that. If I'm color blind and I'm buying winter blend diesel with added kerosene....:rolleyes:
That requires the yellow can with the blue stripes..........on sale at WallyWorld next week I hear:laughing:

/ Diesel in gas can #28  
I use an old red gas can that I dump varnished gas, water contaminated gas, and contaminated diesel into. Wanna guess which can my ex son in law grabbed when he decided to put "gas" in his mom's truck :laughing:

Ken

/ Diesel in gas can #29  
Laws requiring different colored vessels for different fuels must be state specific.

Not only have I never used anything but a red container for any type of fuel, I have never, to my recollection, seen a yellow fuel container.
I would have no idea where to purchase one.
I had purchased a blue container marked "Kerosine" many years ago. I used it to carry water, as confusing a fuel container,
with a water container,
on a cold morning, in a national park, trying to make coffee by boiling white gas......nevermind
:rolleyes:
Don't ask me how I know

To answer the question at hand, I would not think twice about using an empty container for filling with any type of fuel, regardless of what was in it previously.
Understand that there is only one definition for "empty".

Last edited:
   / Diesel in gas can #30  
Laws requiring different colored vessels for different fuels must be state specific.

Not only have I never used anything but a red container for any type of fuel, I have never, to my recollection, seen a yellow fuel container.
I would have no idea where to purchase one.
I had purchased a blue container marked "Kerosine" many years ago. I used it to carry water, as confusing a fuel container,
with a water container,
on a cold morning, in a national park, trying to make coffee by boiling white gas......nevermind
:rolleyes:
Don't ask me how I know

To answer the question at hand, I would not think twice about using an empty container for filling with any type of fuel, regardless of what was in it previously.
Understand that there is only one definition for "empty".

I still use a 30 gal. green painted very faded for my bulk no alky.gas for the s/b gen and other uses. and Red 50 gal. faded barrow for the diesel. both must be older than 50 years of age. Never have I been asked if this was proper or not.
Also keep in a unlocked shed away from the tractor shed. If some one wants to steal the fuel hope they know the difference in barrows.
if they get the wrong fuel what will they tell there lawyaer should they want to sue .
ken