Diesel in gas can

/ Diesel in gas can #11  
From another source:
ASTM F852, Standard Specification for Portable Gasoline Containers for Consumer Use,
4 Requirements; 4.1 Color: The container shall be predominately red in color. Pigments, coatings, or other means used to impart color shall not be affected by gasoline.

ASTM F976, Standard Specification for Portable Kerosene and Diesel Containers for Consumer Use:
4 Requirements, 4.2 Color: Kerosene containers shall be predominately medium blue in color. Diesel containers shall be predominantly medium yellow in color. Pigments, coatings, or other means used to impart color shall not be affected by kerosene. [Note: the ASTM misspelling of "kerosine" has been corrected.]

For liability purposes, an individual service station may have a policy against fueling containers that don't meet ASTM standards. You best ask a lawyer if using a container of the wrong color is illegal, but I've never heard of anyone getting arrested for carrying fuel in the wrong container.

/ Diesel in gas can #12  
Its illegal for one thing. Go buy a new diesel can and be done with it.
Who is going to stop you using a red can for diesel? it been done so many times, its rare to be arrested if ever for using "wrong color can as per ASTM" They are already a safety can with different pigment in plastic. The only issue here is will the unsuspecting person picking up the can filling up a gas engine with diesel notice it or will they get pissed after the fact is the real issue here.
"
Only problem I am aware of is that some plastic containers are only suitable for petrol , putting diesel in is a no no

I dont think so. its just a color change via dye with same plastic. The only difference I know of is the red can has a metal screen in spout for fire arresting from flashing into the can. I dont know if all diesel cans have this and serve the same purpose or what?

/ Diesel in gas can #13  
I can see it now, the sequel to 20-year-old Arlo Guthrie being convicted of littering in the Berkshire County town of Stockbridge, and the song "Alice's Restaurant Massacree."

Banner News Flash: New York Homeowner arrested for filling gasoline can with diesel. Details at 11.:shocked:

/ Diesel in gas can #14  
ASTM standards are in no way a legalality issue for use but an engineering standard for minimum requirements. Those exist specifically for reference to a quality standard when building or purchasing. One may choose to ignore, use a standard or specify upgrade requirement for private purchase. When a manufacturer states made to ASTM standard XXXXX you can be assured that it meets those minimums for manufacturer.
OSHA standards are legal requirements that can get you a fine for not complying however there is barely enough OSHA inspectors to cover the commercial jobs, so I dont think they will be coming to your local gas station or your home residence to give you a hard time over labeling.

/ Diesel in gas can #15  
I can see it now, the sequel to 20-year-old Arlo Guthrie being convicted of littering in the Berkshire County town of Stockbridge, and the song "Alice's Restaurant Massacree."

Banner News Flash: New York Homeowner arrested for filling gasoline can with diesel. Details at 11.:shocked:

What really scares me is I know the words to Alice's Restaurant and hum the tune regularly. :D

/ Diesel in gas can #16  
"I got good and drunk, the night before. So I looked and felt my very best". Those words, seem to be, what some people live by.

Chuck

/ Diesel in gas can #17  
Any harm in switching a plastic can that was used for gas to diesel ?

No. No harm at all.
Don't let guidelines for making containers, scare you into your personal use of them.

/ Diesel in gas can #18  
I had a few plastic blue kerosene cans I used for diesel for 15 years. Last year I went to fill them up and the pump operator wouldn't let me, so I went to a different place and filled them. Since then I painted my 5 blue kerosene cans and a red gasoline can with oil based John Deere Yellow paint. A smidgen of gas in the can won't hurt anything. No tags on it, just spray on yellow paint and they look nice and the paint doesn't come off. There is no way to mix them up now.

/ Diesel in gas can #19  
????
OK. So I felt extra frisky, so I drove my yellow truck to the station to put gas in it. Operator wouldn't let me. He said gas goes in red, not yellow. So I went home loaded up my Massey tractor on my trailer and went to fill it up. That attendent said no. "Diesel can only be pumped in yellow containers", and my Massey is red.

Last edited:
   / Diesel in gas can #20  
give the guy a brake every one dose it but u