Diesel in gas can

/ Diesel in gas can #31  
As for gasoline in a diesel engine. Yanmar and VW allow mixing of up to 1/3 gasoline with 2/3 diesel for us in extreme cold.
Problem is when Bubba's Mom borrows her boy's diesel truck, runs the tank down to the low fuel light. Then fills the tank with gasoline.
Of course we all know how well low octane and low volatility diesel does in a spark ignition engine.

/ Diesel in gas can #32  
I used a red can when I first got my Kubota in '98. Shortly after I needed a new can anyways, so got the yellow 5gal diesel jug. Now, I have two, since the tank on my TC40 is much larger.

My wife, son, and Dad also use my tractor. All know, diesel goes in yellow, yellow goes in tractor.

My Dad worked at a Dodge dealer in parts for a long time. When the Cummins pickups came out, he said it was frequent that they got trucks in for repair because someone accidently fueld up with wrong nozzle or jug. And then, got to have their motor replaced; Cummins, Powerstroks, and Duramx's are expensive to replace. Guessing the motor in my tractor would be too.

Just because you can, dont mean you should...

/ Diesel in gas can #33  
"I knew I should'a chosen the blue pill"

Tractor supply- Identical 5 gallon cans- Red $18, Yellow $20, blue $15. No kidding, saw it today at the store, and just looked online.
I guess yellow dye adds $5 over blue dye.:rolleyes:

/ Diesel in gas can #34  
My Dad worked at a Dodge dealer in parts for a long time. When the Cummins pickups came out, he said it was frequent that they got trucks in for repair because someone accidently fueld up with wrong nozzle or jug. And then, got to have their motor replaced; Cummins, Powerstroks, and Duramx's are expensive to replace. Guessing the motor in my tractor would be too.

Just because you can, dont mean you should...

Who fuels a new warantee covered big $40,000 diesel truck with a 5 gallon can? If nothing else, that's a good way to throw an evaporative system leak code.
Not to be mean, but I think anyone who would blindly ( pun intended ) pour fuel out of a jug, that they themselves, did not fill, or at least had recent conversation with the person who had- deserves the possible repercussions. If you ignore all common sense, that would say to double check what is in the container if you didn't fill it, or had a good memory of it,, be it by visually verifying, or by smell.... To go on blind faith of an expensive machine by the dyed color of a used container is, sorry to say it..ignorant of the possible consequences. That is like "assuming" a gun is unloaded
In fact, you could have the right colored container, but it has the wrong fluid in it anyways. Always double check.

/ Diesel in gas can #35  
I agree.

I also noted people also used wrong nozzles; get in a hurry, not paying attention... Between both and above thread, diesel pickups coming in for blown motors with gas are common...

Who fuels a new warantee covered big $40,000 diesel truck with a 5 gallon can?
Not to be mean, but I think anyone who would blindly ( pun intended ) pour fuel out of a jug, that they themselves, did not fill, or at least had recent conversation with the person who had- deserves the possible repercussions. If you ignore all common sense, that would say to double check what is in the container if you didn't fill it, or had a good memory of it,, be it by visually verifying, or by smell.... To go on blind faith of an expensive machine by the dyed color of a used container is, sorry to say it..ignorant of the possible consequences. That is like "assuming" a gun is unloaded

/ Diesel in gas can #36  
I agree.

I also noted people also used wrong nozzles; get in a hurry, not paying attention... Between both and above thread, diesel pickups coming in for blown motors with gas are common...

Who fuels a new warantee covered big $40,000 diesel truck with a 5 gallon can?

/ Diesel in gas can #37  
I'm not going try to get the statistics just right, but I'm going to guess off the top of my head, that a careless type person who would wrongly pour a correct red jug with gas in a diesel engine, is just as likely to incorrectly fill the yellow can with gas in the first place. That would make the color in this case a mute point. I have this string on my finger. I know it's suppose to remind me of something, but I can't remember what.;)

/ Diesel in gas can #38  
As stated earlier, only the color is different, for ID purposes. The legality, if enforced, would come under EPA guidelines....means of clean up if spilled, etc. having been a truck driver for the past 20 years, in the winter, I would run a gallon or so on a fill up of 300 gallons, (.3%), as an anti gel. Nominal, (dew from unleaded in the container), isn't going to hurt anything. However....
Speaking from experience, having run straight gas in my $600 Stihl chainsaw, and taking years off of it's life, mark the can to indicate it's contents CLEARLY, especially if anyone else might have access to the fuel or equipment.
$20 for a fuel specific container is chump change compared to blown injectors, turbos, etc.
Murphy's Law is always in effect, lol. (;~}€

/ Diesel in gas can #39  
A couple of years ago I saw a guy fill his diesel powered car up at a gas pump. He didn't twig to it until he got it full, too, but at least he didn't start it once he realized what he had done. A moment of inattention was all it took. He didn't even have the excuse of saying he grabbed the wrong hose because that station only sold gas, no diesel at all.
Back when I was a youngster, a neighbour was having trouble with the local kids stealing fuel from his gas barrel so he simply filled it one day with diesel. That was the last time he lost any fuel! :laughing:

/ Diesel in gas can #40  
well i dont want to tip off john law but i have some D in G cans....all i can do is paint em and stencil em in big letters and hope i dont get too senile to remember whats what.

i guess my jerry cans are bad too....they are green so they dont know whats going in em..they are more confused than i am! :laughing: