Diesel additive

/ Diesel additive #31  
Back in the 1970's and 1980's the big blowout was "Global Cooling", then the world was all going to end on the new millenium 2000 and then Y2K crisis passed without a whimper, then suddenly everything changed and now we are experiencing "Global Warming" all within a period of 20 some years no less.

If we don't escape this solar system in the next four billion years our sun will become a supernova and fry every planet here into cosmic nuclear dust, the closest galaxy is at least 4 million light years away and we can't go even faster than 17,000 miles per hour in outer space..... we wouldn't even make it if the space ship left now.....all is lost my friends, all is lost..... :eek:

/ Diesel additive #32  
SkyPup said:
Back in the 1970's and 1980's the big blowout was "Global Cooling", then the world was all going to end on the new millenium 2000 and then Y2K crisis passed without a whimper, then suddenly everything changed and now we are experiencing "Global Warming" all within a period of 20 some years no less.

:eek:

GC (Global Cooling) was all the rage until someone decided that we used to much fuel, now, we are getting to warm. Some predict when the doomsayers keep failing to predict things such as inceased hurricane activity this year (like they failed this year after Katrina the year before) they sky is falling folks will come up with something new.

I wish they would be like Goldilocks and the three bears. This bed is too soft, this bed is to hard, and this bed is just right. Sadly, the sky is falling folks will NEVER find anything that is just right.
Bob

/ Diesel additive #33  
cp1969 said:
Compared to the results you got when you didn't run additives? But you said you always run them, so what baseline are you comparing to?

Compared to documented MPG I was getting before using any additive

cp1969 said:
Is that your personal experience, or is that what it says on the can? Btw, no additive can remove water from a system unless you are talking about a demulsifier, which allows a water separator to then remove it. But almost all additives are emulsifiers which cause the water to go into solution with the fuel and pass through the injection system, not disappear from it. Stanadyne, IIRC, is a demulsifier.

The additive's I use are demulsifiers which allow me to drain off the water. A emulsifier is useless as it ensures the water is run through your engine.

cp1969 said:
I would like to see the documented increases in mileage. I have not yet; if you have some please share them with us. Since additives are composed primarily of 'petroleum distillates' (aka diesel fuel), of course they will contribute to the amount of work being done simply because they themselves contain chemical energy. However, in the amounts they are usually added, this contribution would be neglible. The question is whether they cause the release of additional energy from the fuel itself. If there is documented proof that this happens, I have yet to see it. The experiment to prove whether this happens is far more elaborate than comparing one tank without additives to one that has additives.

Have no idea what is in the additive, I'm not a chemist and blender. As far as documented increases there are countless large trucking fleets that have done their own testing over the years and shown increased fuel economy, myself included (however, I'm not a large fleet). All I know is that the additive pay's for itself. The MPG gained saves enough fuel to pay for the additive and and then some.

/ Diesel additive #34  
There is a 30-40 year cycle for bad hurricanes that is what a old fishermen in the Keys and old fishermen say the Great Lake's water level drops in 20 year intervals. Montana was a sub-tropic with dinosaurs and Florida was the north pole at one time. Weatherman can't predict the next day's weather and some predict what is going to happen in the next 50 years. We have only been observing weather a 120 years. I truely beleive that there are cycles and changes that earth has and will go though that even the PHDs can't explain, but they are able to get grants to try to explain it! We are along for the ride on this rock, so I guess enjoy the ride!:D

Dan

/ Diesel additive #35  
As far as documented increases there are countless large trucking fleets that have done their own testing over the years and shown increased fuel economy, myself included (however, I'm not a large fleet).

This is what I'm looking for. If you could point us to some of those cases, I'd appreciate it because I've looked and can't find any. We used to haul fuel to a few truck lines and bus fleets and none of them, not a single one, added anything to the fuel we took them. Yellow Freight and Roadway are big enough, and have enough bean counters on staff, and have enough trucks to make the experiment valid that if there was $0.0001 per mile benefit to using additives, it would pay them to do it. They didn't.

/ Diesel additive #36  
Local Equipment Dealer had an older AC Rubber Tire Front End Loader, having trouble starting, etc. Dumped in one quart of Power Service and after it coughed, spit and blew smoke, it started to run like a new engine. Said it hasn't ran this good for years. Evidently the amount of power Service isn't all that critical. Evidently the Slosh, etc. method is good enough.
penokee

/ Diesel additive #37  
SkyPup said:

I was splitting wood a weekend or so ago and listening to the radio. The Clash's London Calling came on and I got a huge chuckle out the following refrain:

The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning and I live by the river

The album was from 1979! Seems just like yesterday. I went to wikipedia to get the lyrics. Its funny the Gloom and Doom that was going through the Clash's head when writing the song.

People talk about how badly the air and water is polluted but I can remember when it REALLY was in bad shape. Nothing like today at all. Many people? Most people? Have no sense of history. They have no knowledge of what has happened, which means they don't know how we got HERE, much less having a good idea of where we are GOING.

The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning and I live by the river

Later,
Dan

/ Diesel additive #38  
dmccarty said:
People talk about how badly the air and water is polluted but I can remember when it REALLY was in bad shape.

I can remember in the late 80's when pollution control devices were just showing up. Sitting in traffic with cars idling with no pollution control devices was enough to gag me. Now, a lot more cars and very clean air. Same for water. We have come along way.
Bob

/ Diesel additive #39  
I hate to do this but I will. My dear wife is a very smart environmental scientist, with a long background is agricultural insect work and such. She is not a tree hugger or earthfirster type. In fact, she is well liked by the local farmers she works with, as an educational administrator, who have a lot of public relation issues with their lifestyles/work vs. the Chesapeake Bay protectors who feel we are destroying the bay. Anyway, she can make a powerful, fact based argument for global warming (I would say that 98% of the scientific community believes we are headed into serious trouble with our wasteful use of energy, based on publications that come thru the house) and when we saw the Al Gore film "An Inconvient Truth" the people we saw it with all agreed it was an uncontroversial reflection on what is happening. I'm an old guy, and will be out of here before our hilltop land becomes oceanfront, but I have a grandson and can't help but feel concerned about what's going on. I would be happier if we started thinking about changing our ways, like most of Europe is doing. And, I hate to see 1 occupant Hummers with blond soccer mom's clogging our roads. We try to conserve in any possible way. My tractor is just big enough to do the work I need done.

/ Diesel additive #40  
1 ounce = 2 tablespoonfuls or 30 cc. I just put in 3 tablespoonfuls. I get the little measuring cups with many of my chemicals, like Roundup, etc.

It's not that critical. That "slosh" that one forum member talked about is accurate enough. You're probably looking for something between 1 and 2 tenths of a %; that's about 1-2 parts per 1,000. In case of the 30 cc, it's 30 out of 5*3781 or 30 out of 18905 or about 1 in 600.

In case you're interested, this is about the dilution of "dewaxing aid" that is used commercially in propane dewaxing plants for wax crystal modification. The gel modification agent in the diesel additive is doing some form or wax crystal modification (probably opposite of what we do in propane dewaxing). It keeps the wax from gelling together. The cetain modifiers work apparently with the same dilutions.

Ralph