Diesel additive

/ Diesel additive #21  
did anybody mention that those additives are nuthin but a placebo, a waste of money and serve no practical purpose or am I speaking to the converted?

/ Diesel additive #22  
Yup, your talking to a wall. :) Been using additives in my fuel as long as I can remember with great results. Better fuel economy, add's to lubricity therefore prolonging injector/pump life, removes the water from the system, reduces combustion chamber and exhaust valve deposits, etc...

If they are a placebo how do you explain documented MPG increses? How do you explain ASTM bench test results that show decreased injector scuffing? How do you explain injection pump manufacturers like Stanadyne releasing TSB's that show that lubricity additives increase pump life? Let me guess, there's no such thing as global warming either. :)

/ Diesel additive #23  
CurlyDave said:
Just dole them out into the diesel container and move it around a bit and maybe let sit for a spell before using.

Hot Tip: Put the additive in the 5 gal container before you get it filled.

Filling the container stirs the contents much better than any amount of sloshing the container around can ever do.
I used to work with a guy that had what he called a crazy gas can. I asked him to explain. He said if he put in 5 gallons of gas (it was a 5 gallon can), it wouldn't hold a can of oil for his mix. But (get this), he said if he put the oil in first, it would hold the oil and the 5 gallons of gas. I told him no, it's only holding 4 gallons-3 quarts of gas, because the quart of oil made up the rest of the 5 gallons. He never did get it.

/ Diesel additive #24  
BTDT said:
I used to work with a guy that had what he called a crazy gas can. I asked him to explain. He said if he put in 5 gallons of gas (it was a 5 gallon can), it wouldn't hold a can of oil for his mix. But (get this), he said if he put the oil in first, it would hold the oil and the 5 gallons of gas. I told him no, it's only holding 4 gallons-3 quarts of gas, because the quart of oil made up the rest of the 5 gallons. He never did get it.

LOL. Apparently, he never understood that liquid is liquid. And both gas AND oil take up space.....

Oh, was at Walmart today, the PS there is right at $15.00 or so for the one that treat 300 gallons...... how about your neck of hte woods?

/ Diesel additive #25  
Do any of you guys use an additive strictly for better mileage? If you do, how many mpg does it add, 1,2 or?

/ Diesel additive #26  
Kaliburz said:
LOL. Apparently, he never understood that liquid is liquid. And both gas AND oil take up space.....

I love these type of comments. Take any measured amount of alcohol, and put that into a glass. Mark the liquid level on the side of the glass with tape or crayon. Then take the same measured amount of water and add that to the glass. I suggest that you use 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 1/4 cup, and tap water 1/4 cup. Now, has the volume of the two combined liquids doubled??
Dusty

Oh..... where do you think that the water goes that is in your automobiles gasoline tank when you add Dry Gas to it???? :D

/ Diesel additive #27  
MtnViewRanch said:
Do any of you guys use an additive strictly for better mileage? If you do, how many mpg does it add, 1,2 or?

Nope, just Power Service to keep my fuel from gelling during winter. Brrrrrrr.
Bob

/ Diesel additive #28  
mythbusters did a program on additives for gas engines. They had several of the most popular ones you hear about. Most of the ones that had testimonial ads made the mileage worse. Nothing they added improved it any. I suspect diesel additives would do the same.

/ Diesel additive #29  
DieselPower said:
Yup, your talking to a wall. :) Been using additives in my fuel as long as I can remember with great results.
Compared to the results you got when you didn't run additives? But you said you always run them, so what baseline are you comparing to?

Better fuel economy, add's to lubricity therefore prolonging injector/pump life, removes the water from the system, reduces combustion chamber and exhaust valve deposits, etc...
Is that your personal experience, or is that what it says on the can? Btw, no additive can remove water from a system unless you are talking about a demulsifier, which allows a water separator to then remove it. But almost all additives are emulsifiers which cause the water to go into solution with the fuel and pass through the injection system, not disappear from it. Stanadyne, IIRC, is a demulsifier.

If they are a placebo how do you explain documented MPG increses? How do you explain ASTM bench test results that show decreased injector scuffing? How do you explain injection pump manufacturers like Stanadyne releasing TSB's that show that lubricity additives increase pump life? Let me guess, there's no such thing as global warming either. :)
I would like to see the documented increases in mileage. I have not yet; if you have some please share them with us. Since additives are composed primarily of 'petroleum distillates' (aka diesel fuel), of course they will contribute to the amount of work being done simply because they themselves contain chemical energy. However, in the amounts they are usually added, this contribution would be neglible. The question is whether they cause the release of additional energy from the fuel itself. If there is documented proof that this happens, I have yet to see it. The experiment to prove whether this happens is far more elaborate than comparing one tank without additives to one that has additives.

Last edited:
   / Diesel additive #30  
DieselPower said:
Yup, your talking to a wall. :) Been using additives in my fuel as long as I can remember with great results. Better fuel economy, add's to lubricity therefore prolonging injector/pump life, removes the water from the system, reduces combustion chamber and exhaust valve deposits, etc...

You had me to global warming... I use PS or Lucas Fuel stabilizer 80% of the time. To make me feel warm and fuzzy if nothing else. Global warming is only a half truth. Yes the avg temp is rising globally, but it's just following the historical climatological pattern. How do you think we got out of the ice age? Was that pollution too?:eek: