Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting?

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #141  
Here's how I like to do it, not real hard work with all of the right toys (the beverage bill for keeping everyone moving gets steep though)! When I can't do it this way, I will cut into smaller lengths & move with the FEL & fork set-up on the 3320.

Attachments

• wood processing sm.JPG
    wood processing sm.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 622
   / Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #143  
Harleyenough
That box looks like it will hold the wood in, but how easy is it to get the wood out?
Appears to be a bit of work to stack the wood in it, as well as remove the wood.

Are they stackable? Just curious.

Nice Deere and forks.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #144  
A lot easier to untie than a overhand knot (an overhand knot that has been used for such a load would need pliers or a knife to remove it), but not as easy as a carabiner.

Aaron Z

One trick with either of them is to put a piece of wood in the of the loops.
I learned this at rescue school they used a pick handle with the larger side in the bight of the rope to take it out it slid right out and gave you room to flip the knot apart.

tom

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #145  
My uncle and I pulled a number of trees out of a piece of property years ago that was way too steep for vehicles.

I used a snatch block (like this: https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=3-1021-8&catname=winches) and 3/8" cable. Tied the snatch block to the back of his vehicle and then used my truck to pull the cable with that had a tree tied to with chain up the hill to where we could buck it.

No need for expensive winches etc. Cable is pretty cheap, as is a snatch block. You do need to have two vehicles or a tree to attach the snatch block to.

Good luck.

Al

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #146  
In my woods, the trails are so muddy that most of the time you can not get a tractor down into them. No way i could ever get a truck down there. So I use the portable winch to get the logs to the edge of the trail and then when the trail is frozen or dry, i take those logs out. There is also very little in the way of straight paths that would allow a vehicle to do a long pull with the use of pulleys.

I demoed one to a local fire department. It was neat to watch them lower a couple of people and a gurney over a 250' cliff with it and then bring them back up. They used a safety line with an automatic brake setup also. Now a couple of fire departments have gotten them for rescue work. Before getting it, they would have to wait (usually for hours) for a large crew of men to get there to work the ropes.

Ken

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #147  
It seems like most people are cutting live trees instead of dead/dried still standing trees. Is there a specific reason for this other than not enough dead trees to supply the demand?

Ever bring a log into the house and find out that it was full of carpenter ants when it warmed up?

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #148  
DO NOT transport ash wood from another property to yours or off your property.

We're trying to control the Emerald Ash Borer.

Ralph

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #149  
a few days before we got snow my brother went an cut up a bunch of wood.then took the tractor an flatbed trailer an hauled it out.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #150  
Ever hear of widow makers ? they are found more on dead trees the live.

As for the dead trees, you need to ask yourself why is it dead? Its mostly because of bugs or disease. Many states now have laws on "transporting" dead or diseased trees. Quite ofteen they say diseased wood cannot be moved more then 50 miles, or cannot bring outside wood into state parks, etc. I can go on and on as it varys from state to state but how often do you see the rules/law being enforced?

Widow makers don't all come from dead trees. The Redwoods in Caifornia will drop GREEN limbs that are 6-7" at the butt and 20' + long for what ever reason. Had one drop across the road in from of me when I was late going to work. Too big to drive the commuter over and it was a struggle to get it out of the way.