Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting?

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #161  
Re: splitters

For years I used a heavy splitting axe and then more recently an electric splitter. Then a neighbour told me about the Fiskars splitting axe. Here is a link:

Amazon.com: Fiskars 7854 Super Splitting Axe with 28-Inch Handle and 4-1/4-Pound Head: Patio, Lawn & Garden

In Canada it is available at Canadian Tire. In doing a bit more reading I notice the Fiskars US site shows a 36" axe while the Canadian site stops at the 28" model.

The Fiskars splitting axe (they also make regular axes) is light and looks like a regular axe. But the shape of the head (gentle sweep) makes it very effective. It has a light, hollow, plastic type handle that seems virtually indestructible--even on hard, hand-jarring, over-shot blows. It is amazing to me how easier and more effective it is than a regular, heavy splitting axe. I find it much quicker for "coarse" splitting than using the electric splitter. I split my wood small and do the final splitting on the electric splitter.

Another advantage of the light weight and almost-regular axe shape is it is useful for clipping off the add branch stub missed while gathering the logs.

There is a video about the axe on the Fiskars website here:

Axes and Striking / Yard and Garden | Fiskars

I can't say enough about this axe and how it makes splitting fun (and NO, I'm not connected with Fiskars or anyone who sells them). :)

Which electric splitter do you have? We have a Ryobi, although most are virtually the same. We made a few modifications to ours to improve both splitting speed and ease of use.

Sean

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #162  
The splitter is a Power Fist from Princess Auto. I think the same machine is marketed as other brands sold by Rona. I dug out the manual to see where it is made but there is no information as to where it is made. But I think somewhere on the machine I saw it was made in India. The manual has a parts schematic showing the parts but no parts list describing each item. For any problems in the "trouble shooting" section it says "Contact the dealer".

It has worked well for the 2.5 years I've had it and it has seen a lot of use. I heat with wood and last year I lent it to a neighbour who also heats with wood. He purchased one for himself this past autumn when Princess Auto had their annual sale.

Here is a link to the splitter:

http://www.princessauto.com/all-sea...splitters/8142606-5-ton-electric-log-splitter

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #163  
I converted my 24 ton to be able to switch between electric and gas power by swapping motors. The 5 HP electric works nice. I prefer the electric, only using the gas when i have to split down in the woods. The small commercial electrics could never handle the 24" diameter hardwood logs.

Ken

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #164  
I converted my 24 ton to be able to switch between electric and gas power by swapping motors. The 5 HP electric works nice. I prefer the electric, only using the gas when i have to split down in the woods. The small commercial electrics could never handle the 24" diameter hardwood logs.

Ken

True enough, anything past 14" or gnarly stuff and it won't split them easily. Most of my firewood logs are 12-14" or smaller, if it's straight grained it'll handle bigger stuff.

I'm guessing your 5 HP motor is 220V? Any pics of it?

I'm considering building a bigger electric splitter, or a 3ph one for the bigger stuff if I end up having to buy 8 foot lengths. Unless I find a good 3ph model on sale I'll build one.

Sean

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #165  
Yes, it is a 5 HP motor. I upgraded the pump to a higher flow pump. It was a pretty simple install - i made a metal platform to go where the gas engine went. Mounted the motor to that and a bracket to hold the pump. No pictures as of yet.

Ken

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #166  
Yes, it is a 5 HP motor. I upgraded the pump to a higher flow pump. It was a pretty simple install - i made a metal platform to go where the gas engine went. Mounted the motor to that and a bracket to hold the pump. No pictures as of yet.

Ken

Is that a true 5HP motor. Like a farm-duty TEFC type. Over 100lbs

or

Is is one of them air compressor type motors That really arent 5HP and only weigh 30-40lbs??

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #167  
I've also been using the Fiskars splitting axe for a year and find it much better than a maul. I just wish the helve was 6" longer.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #168  
I've also been using the Fiskars splitting axe for a year and find it much better than a maul. I just wish the helve was 6" longer.

You may be in luck, this is an answer to an email I sent to Fiskars.

Thank you for your inquiry about our new X27, 36" splitting axe. This axe will begin shipping to retailers in February:

USA: Menards, ACE Hardware and Amazon.com
CANADA: Canadian Tire

As of 1/17, the axe has shipped to ACE Warehouse Online only:
Fiskars® 36in Splitting Axe (78846935) - Axes - Ace Hardware

I have the Fiskars Super splitter and when I first got it, I wished it had a longer handle. After using it for a while, I like it anyway. The newer one is $50 so I don't see ordering one.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #169  
Cool thread, glad I found this one. This is mainly what we use our tractors for. For the smaller stuff the bucket works well, but for largers rounds we use logging tongs on the 3pt boom. Quick loading and unloading when you stack 'em like this on the trailer!

IMG_3203.jpg

DSC02207.jpg

DSC02205.jpg

Last edited:
   / Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #170  
Is that a true 5HP motor. Like a farm-duty TEFC type. Over 100lbs

or

Is is one of them air compressor type motors That really arent 5HP and only weigh 30-40lbs??

It is one of the "fake" ones. A true 5 HP would be nicer but I have split about 20 face cord with it as it is.

Ken