Chains Who needs chains??? I DO!

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #31  
RICK: u found me out , i imbelished a bit /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif MY 2400 IS FINE FOR MY 9 ACRES BUT THERE IS THAT OCCASION WHEN I WISH I HAD A 2910 or larger.(damm stumps)

/ Who needs chains??? I DO!
update...

Hard to believe for some reason...but I called and ordered chains from tirechains.com yesterday and they arrived today!

Yestersday... after ordering on the internet, I realized that I forgot to order the tensioners...so I called and ordered them as an add on, without specifying exactly what I wanted. Then I checked the web site and saw what I wanted and assumed that I would get the tractor tensioners.

Didn't. Called and the guy I had first talked to was out to lunch, but the guy I talked to this time remember my order and said they had discussed what I would want, and decided that most people choose the cheaper ones...and so they sent those.

Now I am certain that the cheaper ones would work, but they have five springs instead of six, and just look <font color=red> cheaper</font color=red>...less macho...and so on...

They offered to send the better ones with no charge for shipping, and to credit me for the returned chains, which would also go back at no charge to me, as they will include a shipping label.

I guess as a happy customer...I am just a happy customer!

Will post a pic after I get the chains installed and the tensioners on.

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #33  
I also got real good service at tire chain.com. The set I got for the wifes 224 showed up in two days. Would have been the next day, but I orderd them late. Very happy. Are they the cheepest? Can't tell you, I could not find any around in the size I was looking for. The last few sets of chains I needed, I made up from an old set of chains from my dads old Farmall C.[Can make up a lot of small tire chains from a set of those/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I was going to make a set for that tractor also, but just did not have the time.

Also wile on the subject. To make up the chains, I used something called "Monkey links" They are for fixing broken chains. My dad had a few boxes of them left over in the plow truck I got from him.[I rember as a kid, he had a TON of these things. Every truck he had had 10, to 15 boxes] Well I used the last ones, on the last chains I made. Are they still made? Is there something else on the market like them? Thanks.

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #34  
Those yesterday big rim tires in which use those tire chains,can come in handy for other projects also.

Dragging behind to smooth the ground,keeping the cows in until the fence is repair,help hold load of hay & wood in place on a flat bed trailer,cleaning out culverts etc..

Also throwing mud all over one when stuck. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #35  
There should be two labels on the 4WD selector. It should also read "4 Wheel Brakes"

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #36  
I've got the ladder chains on my 2910 and they do make a huge difference. I think you will be happy.

By the way, anyone know if the tirechain.com chains are the hardened type (I don't know the proper term). Regular chains will wear down over the years, but the hardened cross chains are way more durable. My lawn tractor chains at home are flattening out after a number of years of snow blowing, where my 2910 chains show no signs of wear - they just brighten up when I use them.

/ Who needs chains??? I DO!
Hi,

<font color=blue>By the way, anyone know if the tirechain.com chains are the hardened type (I don't know the proper term). </font color=blue>

Yes, they are hardened, I believe "case hardened" may be the term. The spec to which they are hardened was listed on the web site I think...

Bill

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #38  
Paul; I think that chains on the front of the tractor will help alot. I noticed the same sliding when I plowed with my old Ingersoll 448 and my Dad's Case 444. I have a friend in Vermont who plows snow with a Farmall C, and he has chains on all tires.
Wish I could give you more help on the chain repair items. Have you checked Labonville, the logger's supply company? I remember looking at one of their catalogs awhile back and they seemed to have alot of chain hardware.
Take Care,
Will

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #39  
Hi Pete, Hey were did you get the chains for your tractor? Mine are wearing and spend more time between the treads then over. Of course this could be because I made them from oversize chains. How's the family? Hope everyone is well. Have a nice Thanksgiving!!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #40  
Bill,

Did you order front and rear? I did not see enough clearance for chains on the front of my 2910 and would be interested in seeing a picture of them on the machine. I used ladders on the rear tires and they have to be kept very tight, you will notice the two bolts at the bottom front of each inner fender where it attaches to the frame, very tight fit. If they loosen at all they will catch the fender at that point. I used automotive chains on the front of my TC 29 and they worked very well, the rears came from TC.com and the delivery was within a couple of days, great service. I have a truck to plow with now so I will not use the rear chains unless I have to, and if that becomes necessary, I will purchase the wheel spacers first.