Chains Who needs chains??? I DO!

/ Who needs chains??? I DO!
Hi,

No bayrat, I just put chains on the back. I have a bit more clearance than you describe...I think, but I don't know why I would. I have the chains tight...I think there is probably a half inch clearance, but the point at which the extra links of the side chains are tied back may be closer. I will have to take another look.

Today with a little melting snow on the ground, I tried that same slope that I slid on the other day. I went up with the chains on in 2wd without problem. I tried going down, a little faster, and did slide, but only a few feet. Much different than without the chains.

I then tried to back up the slope in 2wd, and did not get far, even with the chains on. I put it in 4wd, and got up most of the way, but then had to use the differential lock to make it over the top.

All in all, the chains will make a huge difference for me in the snow and wet. I am happy with them and will keep them on until spring.

Bayrat...did you get rid of a TC29 in favor of a B2910? Sounds like it from your post...could you share the reasons why, if this is indeed the case?

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #42  
I guess my idea of a tight clearance on tire chains is 1/2 inch, that is what I have with mine. Having used chains for many applications over the years, I know that they can loosen or a link can break and then that half inch is meaningless. As far as the N/H goes, I have mentioned the problems in the past, probably more on jPlan than this board. I traded pretty much tractor for tractor as far as HP, equipment and price range goes but since my N/H had 160 hours on it, the cost was pretty steep. Any manufacturer can have a lemon, both in tractor and accessories such as mine was, but a good deal of my initial frustration came from poor dealer prep due to the volume he was pumping out. He had the salesman and his brother (paid under the table) put the stuff together and there was little attention paid to proper functioning of the tractor or accessories. As I have said, I loved the ergonomics, ride and handling of the TC. If I had not dealt with numerous service problems due to poor/no dealer prep as well as a trashed machine when it was delivered to their dealership, I would have kept it. The last straw was when they were going to start charging me to haul it to repair ongoing warranty issues that were never corrected properly to begin with. I also had a problem with the initial Q/C of the machine. The wire harness that had come unglued from the hood was left dangling into the engine and made it to my house that way (dealer/factory QC again). Grommets were sliced open rather than being run through (factory QC), it did not start the day after delivery and when it did it sprayed hydraulic oil all over my garage and yard from leaking fittings. The MM mower deck gearbox was junk, it ground itself to peices the first time I used it and having a new one installed took a letter to N/H. The tilt steering gave out and was repaired temp with the understanding it would be replaced later due to a bad cylinder (that was the start of the charges to haul it for warranty work). I never could quite get it to stop creeping with my foot off the hydro although I was able to adjust it out to a much more acceptable level than when it was delivered to me. The thermostat would stick open and cause it to run cold and the dash fogged up for which they told me to not spray water on it when I washed it /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif. I don't get my boat wet either /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. All in all, problems aside it is a great machine! I just had a run of bad luck, part lemon/part dealer prep. Could happen to any brand though, I have heard stories here that make my experience pale in comparison. I am a happy owner these days though and much of that has to do with my new dealer /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif.

/ Who needs chains??? I DO!
Bayrat,

Thanks for sharing that with those of us that had not read it anywhere before...

I wonder where the spacers for the wheels can be purchased. I suppose you need longer bolts for the wheels as well.

When I was putting my chains on I could not help but wonder why a machine made for working in mud would be manufactured with such close clearaces between the wheels and the stationary parts!

Are all the tractors in the compact tractor class like this?

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #44  
<font color=blue>Are all the tractors in the compact tractor class like this?</font color=blue>
Must not be, I have an L series Kubota and have at least several inches of clearance. Not even an issue and that's with R1's........

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #45  
Bill,

Try your dealer, that is where others have purchased them. If memory serves me, they are around $100. I plan on purchasing a set, I just forget every time I am at the parts counter. As to why, perhaps they don't use chains in Japan so it never crossed the minds of those that designed it, I don't know. I'll bet when it is reworked in the future it has fiberglas parts, features and looks of it's main competitors though.

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #46  
Seems the R-1's have more room as they are narrower than the R-4's.

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #47  
yep, you're right - I was thinking about the clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender, not from the sidewalls but I have a lot of clearance there too, or so it seems. That could be different with R4's, espceically if I set the rims to the narrowest setting instead of the widest, which is where I keep them.