Backhoe Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video)

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #31  
Do you have any interest in fixing it yourself? Since it's at the dealer right now you could have them break loose the gland nut and do the rest of the work yourself and save some money and learn how to replace seals. If you are not sure if you're up to it but would be willing to try I'm sure we could talk you through it. If you're planning on owning your tractor for some time sooner or later you will need to change a seal so it's worth learning how to do. Changing the barrel or ram is easy when doing a seal. Of course it would only make sense if only the barrel or the ram is bad, if both are then you might as well replace the whole thing. It also wouldn't make sense if the price for the whole cylinder is close to the price of the barrel and seal.

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #32  
I'm definitely in the tractor game for the long haul Crazyal & I'm willing to learn how to do this kind of stuff but in this case it appears that the dealer I purchased from in PA is going to step in & help me out. To what extent I'm not yet sure but it's looking more promising now than if was this AM!!

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video)
Grandad4 you're correct - I purchased my 2011 "used" in October 2012 with only 19.8 hours on it when I took delivery. I bought it from a dealer in PA.

Maybe your situation is different, but mine was a "rental" unit... got it with 89 hours and it was sold as new with full 2 year warranty. I suppose if someone bought it, then returned it maybe it did not come with the usual warranty.

-Jeff

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #34  
Latest update. The local dealership I took the bucket cylinder to replaced the seals in the cylinder but found that there was a lot of "pitting" - quoted me $580 to have it repaired. I called Marshall Machinery in PA where I bought the tractor and they've gone to bat for me!! They had the cylinder UPS'd to them and have had it sent out to a local hydrualics guy there for repair so the good news is, it appears that the problem is being takend care of by the dealership I purchased from.

However, both dealerships had mentioned that pitting is often a sign of water in the hydraulic fluid. This tractor only had 19.8 hours on it when I took delivery and has been garaged since I bought it in October except for 1 night.

Is there any other reason that pitting would occur? I'm now freaking out wondering if there's a systemic problem with water (if there is any water at all) that's eating away at other vital parts of my tractor that only has 32 hours on it!!

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #35  
I think the BH77 runs off the tractor's hydraulics, right? If so, and there's concern about moisture in the backhoe hydraulics, you would have to worry that there might also be water in the tractor's plumbing as well. Maybe it was just the backhoe, from sitting so long, but you'd want to be sure the tractor is OK. Is there any cloudiness to the HST juice?

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #36  
I think the BH77 runs off the tractor's hydraulics, right? If so, and there's concern about moisture in the backhoe hydraulics, you would have to worry that there might also be water in the tractor's plumbing as well. Maybe it was just the backhoe, from sitting so long, but you'd want to be sure the tractor is OK. Is there any cloudiness to the HST juice?

Correct Grandad4. The BH77 does run off the tractor's hydraulics & that's precisely my concern. I'm a complete newbie to tractor ownership. Where does it make the most senses to check for cloudiness? At the fill? Dipstick? Thanks for your feedback.

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #37  
My tractor is an older one with a sightglass for viewing the HST fluid level located next to the PTO shaft. However, I think they changed to a dipstick setup with later models. I guess you'd look at the dipstick to see if there's any milkiness or cloudiness to the HST fluid. It should be a clear, slightly amber color. If there's any doubt, verify your bank account and contemplate doing a fluid/filter change.

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #38  
Great news! My backhoe cylinder was repaired by Marshall Machinery (in PA where I purchased it) & it arrived today! It's all reinstalled, fluid topped off (I will do my 50 hour service early & replace all the fluid with SUTD when I get the chance to pick up some fluids & filters. Back in the saddle, now to get some seat time in!! Thanks for your advice!!!