Backhoe Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video)

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #21  
I know that this thread is from 2011 but fast forward to 2013 & I'm having a similar problem but with my bucket, not my dipperstick! I was about to attach my new Bro-Tek thumb today when I realized my bucket was curling with just it's weight & gravity! I could physically pull the bucket back to its extended position & then let it go and it would curl on it's own with gravity. I did have to replace a hose on the backhoe last fall just after I got it as it had a hole (it only had 19.8 hours on it when I took delivery). I haven't really used it at all over the winter since replacing the hose. Could it just be air in the system? I don't see any leaks & my fluid levels seem fine. Or is this just normal? This is my first tractor so I'm a newbie!! Here's a video I took of it.

Kubota BH77 bucket - YouTube

I did work the actions of the BH after discovering the problem but didn't do any digging with it and the sagging improved but did not go resolve. I'm planning on trying to maybe try digging a couple of small stumps tomorrow and put it through it's paces to see if that improves it's performance. Any suggestions would be welcome. I only have 29 hours on the tractor at this time & for the 10 hours I've owned it, the BH has only been used for maybe 30 minutes.

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #22  
Glad to hear the dealer had a concience and sees more than $$$.

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #23  
Wow, I just got my tractor with backhoe and loader within the last month, I've got 30 hrs. On it and most of that is using the hoe to dig a trench, and dig out stumps ! Good luck with yours it does sound like air in the system

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #25  
If you have used the hoe then the air should be out of it. And if you are sure there are no leaks. That leaves a bad leaky valve or valve control handle linkage misadjusted or a bad cylinder with by-pass leakage. Must be under warrenty ?? I would call the dealer. He may have a test procedure. But if you want to find out if it is in the cylinder or the valve then extend the bucket and let it rest on the ground. Shut down the machine. Operate the valve to releive any pressure. Disconnect the hydraulic lines from the cylinder, trying not to let any fluid flow out of the cylinder, plug the two cylinder ports with plug fittings, thus sealing the cylinder. Start the machine and lift the bucket off the floor. (Dont touch the extend/curl control of course ). If the bucket curls on it's own like it does now then the cylinder has severe internal by-pass leakage. Which seems unlikely to me for a new unit but you never know. If the bucket is solid then you have a control valve problem like a bad seal, or broken spring, or there is something misadjusted in the linkage.
Hope this helps. Note that I know nothing about your hoe. This is just a generic test to isolate a drifting cylinder problem.

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #26  
It's under warranty still so I'm going to make it Kubota's problem!!!

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #27  
I spoke with the local Kubota dealer about what appears to be a leaking seal in the bucket cylinder. Evidently my BH is out of warranty (since Oct) but the dealers going to go to bat for me with Kubota to see if they'll cover the cost of the cylinder seal replacement out of good will. I removed the cylinder this afternoon & I'm going to run it up to the dealer Wed am. Here's hoping! I want it working 100%!!!

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #28  
I'm supposing the tractor was not brand new when you bought it since it's from 2011 and you got it last fall. It may be that whoever previously had it and blew the hose that you replaced also damaged the seal that's now leaking down. Sounds like my form of bad luck that it waits until the warranty is out and you are the proud owner. Hope the dealer treats you right. An alternative is that any competent hydraulics shop should also be able to do a re-build at a fair price.

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #29  
Grandad4 you're correct - I purchased my 2011 "used" in October 2012 with only 19.8 hours on it when I took delivery. I bought it from a dealer in PA. The hose is a mystery - I'm certain they would have picked up on it had it been a problem when they had it doing the pre-delivery check. I now have about 32 hours on it - I can say that in the 32 hours of it's useful life, I've only ran the backhoe about 1.5. I obviously can't say how many of the 19.6 hours it had on when when it was traded were put on the BH but in any case - it's safe to say that it hasn't seen a lot of work. I too am hoping that Kubota will see it this way. The seal kit was about $123 & the service manager figures 1 to 1.5 hours labor so if it's not covered it's looking like a $200 - $250 fix.

/ Backhoe cylinder problem? (w/ video) #30  
Thought you'd be interested to know the barrel's f-d up & that's tearing up the seals. It's all pitted I guess. Kubota's blowing me off but the dealer I purchased from is going to see what they can do. $580 quote to repair.