Off Topic -Pellet Stoves

/ Off Topic -Pellet Stoves #71  
Not quite right ! These pellet systems are still rather new here and the installers are not yet familiar with all the details. They are coming back next month to plug the hot water pump in the right circuit this time so that we get hot water immediately at the tap and don't have to wait and waste water.

In many ways the European community is light years ahead of the United States in energy consumption because no matter what form of energy you consume over there, it costs more so there is more impetus to develop alternative energy sources and utilize them.

When I started heating my 2 story century farmhome 16 years ago with a pellet stove, people thought I was bonkers and when I upgraded to a multi-fuel (corn/pellet/grain) unit, 6 years ago, they caught on with my neighbors who were paying out the butt for propane. Now all the neighbors have multi-fuel units as well.

With a little regular maintenance and annual cleaning upon shutdown, units will last over 10 years with a payback (in this area) of around 4 years.

No more freezing at 65 and dreading the propane bill. We keep the house at a comfortable 70, no matter what the outside temperature is.

The only problem encountered is RH and we just run a portable whole house humidifier to keep the RH up and the heating 'feel' at a comfortable level.

I believe this summer I'm going to purchase a pellet milll and make my own pellets from the excess hay that's always here. At that point, my only expense will be the diesel to run the tractor pto to run the mill. My customers defray the hay cost because thats the business I'm in.

/ Off Topic -Pellet Stoves #72  
In many ways the European community is light years ahead of the United States in energy consumption because no matter what form of energy you consume over there, it costs more so there is more impetus to develop alternative energy sources and utilize them.

When I started heating my 2 story century farmhome 16 years ago with a pellet stove, people thought I was bonkers and when I upgraded to a multi-fuel (corn/pellet/grain) unit, 6 years ago, they caught on with my neighbors who were paying out the butt for propane. Now all the neighbors have multi-fuel units as well.

With a little regular maintenance and annual cleaning upon shutdown, units will last over 10 years with a payback (in this area) of around 4 years.

No more freezing at 65 and dreading the propane bill. We keep the house at a comfortable 70, no matter what the outside temperature is.

The only problem encountered is RH and we just run a portable whole house humidifier to keep the RH up and the heating 'feel' at a comfortable level.

I believe this summer I'm going to purchase a pellet milll and make my own pellets from the excess hay that's always here. At that point, my only expense will be the diesel to run the tractor pto to run the mill. My customers defray the hay cost because thats the business I'm in.

I like your idea of a pellet mill, but do some research on the net before buying one, most of the info you will find is not good, except from the people selling the mills, lol. I looked at it a few years ago, and couldn't justify the cost, and the time involved, I was better off growing my own corn, as it is "close to ready to use" right from the field. I am going to go the path of solar water heat, with building my own collectors, and storage tanks, and using my corn boiler as a supplement heat source. Keep us posted if you do the pellet mill. There is a guy on the hearth.com forum about to get a pellet mill, and he is documenting his story. Another bad thing with hay pellets is the excess of ash after burning, you have to make sure your system can handle the ash. Good luck, I don't want to change your mind at all, I just wanted to inform you of what I found.......

/ Off Topic -Pellet Stoves #73  
I like your idea of a pellet mill, but do some research on the net before buying one, most of the info you will find is not good, except from the people selling the mills, lol. I looked at it a few years ago, and couldn't justify the cost, and the time involved, I was better off growing my own corn, as it is "close to ready to use" right from the field. I am going to go the path of solar water heat, with building my own collectors, and storage tanks, and using my corn boiler as a supplement heat source. Keep us posted if you do the pellet mill. There is a guy on the hearth.com forum about to get a pellet mill, and he is documenting his story. Another bad thing with hay pellets is the excess of ash after burning, you have to make sure your system can handle the ash. Good luck, I don't want to change your mind at all, I just wanted to inform you of what I found.......

I'm well informed. Actually I host a corn burners site and I'm involved with design of new technologies in the solid fuel arena.

Corn is not a viable heat source when adjusting cost per BTU versus NG or propane at this time. Corn at 12-15% RM must be below the $5.00 per bushel mark to break even against the commonly accepted fuels available. You would be money ahead selling your corn at the elevator and purchasing NG or Propane with the proceeds. Thats how it works in the present, ethanol fueled economy.

I have residual grass type hay that can be easilty converted into pellets. I've reasearched various machines so I'm very informed as to the attributes and drawbacks of each.

/ Off Topic -Pellet Stoves #74  
I'm well informed. Actually I host a corn burners site and I'm involved with design of new technologies in the solid fuel arena.

Corn is not a viable heat source when adjusting cost per BTU versus NG or propane at this time. Corn at 12-15% RM must be below the $5.00 per bushel mark to break even against the commonly accepted fuels available. You would be money ahead selling your corn at the elevator and purchasing NG or Propane with the proceeds. Thats how it works in the present, ethanol fueled economy.

I have residual grass type hay that can be easilty converted into pellets. I've reasearched various machines so I'm very informed as to the attributes and drawbacks of each.

Hey Flip,
I am only going to grow what i need to burn, more of a hobby, that is what you will find out also with a pellet mill, a labor of love, lol......

/ Off Topic -Pellet Stoves #75  

I would love to make my own pellets from the wood of the trees uprooted by storms or getting old and dangerous that I have to burn anyway, but it doesn't seem to be easy to find the necessary implements. From what I understand you have first to reduce the wood to sawdust, then to compress the dust into pellets, requiring at least two machines.

/ Off Topic -Pellet Stoves #76  
Absolutely (on just pelletizing for my own use). I have no desire to commercialize the operation. The up front cost would be too much.

I typically burn 5-6 ton per year x 3 households, my neighbors so just within a 1/2 mile, I have all I can handle. 6 ton is 4 large rounds. I typically mulch that much.

Pelletrs have stabilized (here) around 200 per ton and have stayed that way for the last 2 years.

Corn, on the other hand has risen to around 6 bucks a bushel.

/ Off Topic -Pellet Stoves #77  
I am a bit worried about that, but no moisture so far. The walls are thick (granite on the outside and cinderblocks on the inside), the floor is isolated from the ground and the pellets rest on wooden slopes. I keep my fingers crossed. The only incidents I've heard about concerned metal silos.

We just had a problem with the pellet feed. Quite a lot of saw dust was loosened when the pellets rubbed against the inside of the pipes , against each other or on the silo walls. When the collecting part of the screw was finally filled with loose dust, the screw stopped feeding anything to the burner and the system came to a halt. Had to empty the remaining 2 tons of pellets by hand to clean the screw and put them back in the silo. A very tiring job that took 2 persons a whole day. The good news is there was no moisture. Hope this does not happen again soon !

Attachments

• DSCF2034 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF2034 (Copier).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF2035 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF2035 (Copier).JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF2040 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF2040 (Copier).JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF2042 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF2042 (Copier).JPG