QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires?

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #21  
Why would the manufacturer offer two different size (circumference) rear tires with the same fronts if it was outside of the acceptable range?
I believe that is because the wear will still not break anything until after the warranty. Why should they care if you break your tractor in 6 years? More money for them. Yes, I am cynical. Serious, too.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #22  
T
Your assertion that normal wear is OK so why not bigger tires on one end or the other. Normal wear can be understood by the manufacturer and the system is capable of coping with this change when the original ratio of diameters is utilized. Once you inject a new variable, larger tires on one end or the other, into the system, the envelop is subject to changes outside the original design. Example, the rears have two inches of wear to the bar tread which assuming stock fronts, new or not is OK. Add two inches to the front and subtract two inches from the rear and now you are out not two inches but four.

I just hate to see a guy damage his drive line on the assumption that "diameter doesn't really matter", "that much". I would want specific information from the OEM....that's all.

Cheers

That isn't my assertion. Wear was just one of the variables I mentioned. I also mentioned that the OEM offers two different sized rear tires, with the same front tires, so there is clearly a range of acceptable size combinations. Also, I never said diameter doesn't matter, I just said the folks stating, with absolute surety, that it will cause damage don't know what they're talking about. They don't know the mechanical ratio between the front, and rear tires, and haven't figured out the difference in lead....in short, they're guessing.

I'm the one suggesting to figure it out with specifics before deciding either way.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #23  
Auto, and tractor systems aren't the same...evidence vastly different size tires on tractors to start with.

Did you run the numbers through the formula on the site I linked?

Why would the manufacturer offer two different size (circumference) rear tires with the same fronts if it was outside of the acceptable range?

Recoveryhill explained it nicely I think.

Gman, if TSO decides to go with the larger tires based upon your argument, are you going to warranty any premature failure?

I still say to swap on a set of 10 plys and be done with it. Cheap and effective. Sorry, no chart or link here...it just worked for me.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #24  
Recoveryhill explained it nicely I think.

Gman, if TSO decides to go with the larger tires based upon your argument, are you going to warranty any premature failure?

I still say to swap on a set of 10 plys and be done with it. Cheap and effective. Sorry, no chart or link here...it just worked for me.

All I'm saying is to figure it out using a formula rather guess. That way he won't waste money, or do any damage....simple, smart, and cost-effective.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #25  
All I'm saying is to figure it out using a formula rather guess. That way he won't waste money, or do any damage....simple, smart, and cost-effective.

Maybe. The formula was obviously made by a smart guy. I've been dealing with smart guys for over 35 years...guys like engineers and architects. Ever heard of a change in a set of plans / drawings made during a build? How about structural failures on buildings built to specs? As much as we'd like them to, formulas and calculations don't always work out in the real world. I'd err on the side of caution myself.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #26  
Hello folks. The fronts will have an lead ratio ie they cover a bit more distance than the rears on a properly setup tractor but its only something like 0-5%. Several Kubota models including mine have 10-16.5's and actually lag which isn't good. I replaced them with 12-16.5 on my L5030HSTC but the lead ratio is excessive so you can only use 4wd on slippery surfaces or I will bind and wear the gears etc excessively.

Someday I will replace the rears as well to correct the ratio but I'm soon to be on my 3rd set of fronts while the rears are barely worn. Just shy of 2000 hours.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #27  
Also, I never said diameter doesn't matter, I just said the folks stating, with absolute surety, that it will cause damage don't know what they're talking about. They don't know the mechanical ratio between the front, and rear tires, and haven't figured out the difference in lead....in short, they're guessing.

I'm the one suggesting to figure it out with specifics before deciding either way.

Hummmmm....I guess then we are in agreement, almost.

Don't stick bigger rubber on one end of your FWD tractor until and unless you have "figured out" the mechanical ratio between the front and rear tires and haven't figured out the difference in lead. Sounds like good advice to me assuming the source of same is the manufacturer of your tractor.

Thanks for suggesting how to do all of this and asserting that Rice University "The Cereal Knowledge Bank (CKB) is the worlds leading repository of extension and training materials related to cereal and cereal production" is the ultimate source of guidance, not the OEM design engineers of your particular make of tractor.

Over and out....

Last edited:
   / QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #28  
If you change sizes you probably wont be able to move it without it bucking around. Mine is starting to with just front tire wear. Rears still look new.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #29  
Hummmmm....I guess then we are in agreement, almost.

Don't stick bigger rubber on one end of your FWD tractor until and unless you have "figured out" the mechanical ratio between the front and rear tires and haven't figured out the difference in lead. Sounds like good advice to me assuming the source of same is the manufacturer of your tractor.

All you need to figure out the mechanical ratio between front and rear tires is a jack....no need to talk to the tractor manufacturer. TSO is a pretty resourceful, bright dude, and I'm confident he could manage that one with no trouble.

Over and out? It's one or the other, not both....both makes you look look like a 70s sitcom, and that isn't a fate any TBNer deserves. :eek: Over means "it's your turn to talk"; out means "I'm hanging up". Out.

Last edited:
   / QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #30  
I would bet even your stock tires are not the perfect size to prevent binding in the drivetrain. I have a Newholland 4wd TC30 with a little over 200 hrs, so not much tire wear. A portion of my driveway is paved and steep enough that it is faster to put the tractor in neutral and coast, there is enough resistance between the front and rear axles when 4wd is engaged that I can tell the difference in speed from 2wd.