QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires?

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #31  
Nobody here yet has talked about why there is lead in the front axle. Mostly it's there because when you turn a corner the front tires travel a longer distance than the rear tires and if the lead isn't there then when you turn, the front tires hold back the turn. If you want to experience the front tires holding back just try making a sharp turn on dry hard ground, no loader, with inside wheel brake on in a sharp turn. Do it once in 4x4 and once with out. You'll make a sharper turn without 4x4. Years ago on my 4410 I switched my front 27x8.5x15 out for a pair of 26x12x12. Yes they are a little smaller but that was the closest size I could come up with at the time. Yes my tractor doesn't turn as well in 4x4 as it did with the 27's but I don't have as much slippage on the straight with the 26's as I did with the 27's. My solution in the dry is to turn my 4x4 off for sharp turns. In the wet there is enough slippage that it doesn't matter. The 26's added the flotation and the traction that I wanted and I was willing to live with the other compromises. 2000 hours, two sets of front tires and no problems so far.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #33  
With some work you can find out 100% what each wheel turns.
Jack up the entire tractor and block it up. with some help keep it locked n 4wd, have a friend watch as you turn the rear wheels exactly one turn. Watch how many turns the front wheel has turned. you can then use how many revolutions the front wheel turns to each turn of the rear wheel. Some thing else to take into consideration is to use the rolling diameter. set the tractor back on the ground and measure the radius, from the centre of the axle to the ground and multiply by 3.14. use this number. the distance traveled by one complete revolution of the rear should be matched by the front axle.
I have done this with polaris atv's and side by sides. the front and rear axles turn at very different speeds on the earlier models. My 01 sportsman turn 22% faster ont he front axle. No wonder the machine was a beast to steer with tracks on.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #34  
When I bought my tractor (L4200) from a company,
it had, and still does have 28's on the rear.
The specs call for 24", they had several tractors like this one, all had 28's.:confused:
Always kept in 4x4 and never had issues. (GST drive-train)
Personally, I don't see a problem, run it it 2x4 in summer, and 4x4 in winter.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #35  
When I bought my JD 4500 new, I had a choice of 13.6 X 28 or 14.9 X 24 rear R1's, both with the same 8 X 16 fronts. The lower sidewall of the 13.6's made them close in height to the 14.9's, but there was still approximately and inch on OAH difference checked sitting side by side in favor of the 13.6's. The actual rolling radius/circumference was even more, yet they were both sold with the same front tire. I asked several Deere dealers about this, including my own, and they all said the same thing- there is a certain range that they can vary and still be within design specs/tolerances, at least on the JD's.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #36  
This thread is making me glad I was too poor to afford FWD.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires?
Thanks for all the comments. I did a quick measurement last night, the 10x16.5's are roughly 29.5" tall, while the 12x16.7's are about 31.75" tall... so the sidewall height difference is about 1.125".

I'm going to call the dealership today and see what they think.

Ok, dealer says no. Says not to change the ratio, will damage the front end.

I guess that settles it.... poop.

/ QUESTION: any problem adding larger front tires? #39  
Ok, dealer says no. Says not to change the ratio, will damage the front end.

I guess that settles it.... poop.

Ask them what the mechanical ratio is....hint, they won't know.

I don't think it's enough difference to worry about, but all the folks screaming it will cause problems are doing so based upon opinions, not math. The front end only cares about the math.

Ask them what the mechanical ratio is....hint, they won't know.

I don't think it's enough difference to worry about, but all the folks screaming it will cause problems are doing so based upon opinions, not math. The front end only cares about the math.

I know, but since he's (the dealer) the one that would be doing warranty work on it, if something does break, he might not be able to get it covered