Solar Trickle Charger

/ Solar Trickle Charger #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
This may have been discussed previously, but does anyone have any information about solar powered trickle chargers with that "float mode" feature? It's a feature that charges the battery when it's low and shuts off when it's full... Then turns on again when the battery falls below maximum charge... Repeating the cycle as needed to keep from overcharging the battery.

I am interested in solar because I have no power where my tractor is except a generator at this time. I would apprciate any information, weblinks or suggestions.
Thanks,

/ Solar Trickle Charger #2  
Most solar trickle chargers are not high enough capacity even in bright summer sunshine to overcharge a automobile/tractor battery. Adding such circuitry just ups the price unnecessarily.

/ Solar Trickle Charger #3  
I agree with the other poster.. Most solar chargers are doing good at pushing a few electrons along thru the battery in directlight. This staves off discharging due to setting.. I use the 9.99$ cheapies from the chinese tool store to 'tend' my cargo van and ih cub.. that get driven like once a year... they both always have strong batteries during that '1' start.

Soundguy

/ Solar Trickle Charger #4  
Rob, On your solar power charger, you might look at www.harborfreight.com. As Sound Guy said you can spend $10- $200. Just don't confuse watts with amps(most solar panels are listed in watts). This site has several options. Good luck - Yugo

/ Solar Trickle Charger #6  
I imagine a 12v solar 'game-feeder' charger.. or the harbor freight ones I mentioned would be a tad easier on the wallet..

The HF units actually have a not-so-chincy microcontroller in them to controll charge voltage.. etc.. not exactly a float charger.. but close as you can get for 9.99$ and free soalr energy..

Soundguy

/ Solar Trickle Charger #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I imagine a 12v solar 'game-feeder' charger.. or the harbor freight ones I mentioned would be a tad easier on the wallet..

The HF units actually have a not-so-chincy microcontroller in them to controll charge voltage.. etc.. not exactly a float charger.. but close as you can get for 9.99$ and free soalr energy..

Soundguy )</font>

That device is hardly chincy. It runs my live stock water tenders all winter long in -20c and below. I havn't had to replace one yet.

/ Solar Trickle Charger #8  
I picked up a cheep solar unit at harbor freight. Now I am looking for an exterior cigarette lighter plug I can add to my tractor to plug it into. I have looked on the net an can not find an exterior cigarette lighter plug any ideas/sorces?

/ Solar Trickle Charger #9  
Try this... You can probably find it at Radio Shack too.