Magnetic Engine Block Heater

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #31  
and you know this how??? lets hear the facts.

Ive had a glue on heater on my satellite dish for over 6 years. Works flawlessly.

I think this thread was about heating an engine block in cold weather, not a satellite dish.
Glueing a heater on an engine block is not a long term solution. The block expands and contracts dislodging the bond which allows rust, mosture and dirt to get between the element and block. End result is very poor heat transfer and heater element finally falling off.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #32  
I think this thread was about heating an engine block in cold weather, not a satellite dish.
Glueing a heater on an engine block is not a long term solution. The block expands and contracts dislodging the bond which allows rust, mosture and dirt to get between the element and block. End result is very poor heat transfer and heater element finally falling off.

well, well see if this happens. its siliconed on the edges and very strong adhesive. Ill let you all know if it lasts or not....ill get back to you in 10 years or so :laughing:

the sat dish sits on the roof and roasts in the sun and freezes in the winter..it hasn moved one iota in 6 years.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #33  
grsthegreat said:
and you know this how??? lets hear the facts.

Ive had a glue on heater on my satellite dish for over 6 years. Works flawlessly.

The fact is that for a diesel engine one needs to heat the coolant in the block, not the oil in the pan.

And heating my sat dish has Never helped Any of my vehicles to start.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #34  
grsthegreat said:
well, well see if this happens. its siliconed on the edges and very strong adhesive. Ill let you all know if it lasts or not....ill get back to you in 10 years or so :laughing:

the sat dish sits on the roof and roasts in the sun and freezes in the winter..it hasn moved one iota in 6 years.

The temperature ranges are much greater on an engine. And I am sure that you sat dish gets lots of vibration parked up there on your roof.

When was the last time you started your sat dish on a -10 day and drove it for a couple of hours?

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #35  
The fact is that for a diesel engine one needs to heat the coolant in the block, not the oil in the pan.

And heating my sat dish has Never helped Any of my vehicles to start.

the sat dish was just a reference to its adherence principals. Now for the next point.

Why do you need to heat the water and not the oil??

The water is protected from freezing to about -40F with antifreeze. The oil gets thicker with cold. I would assume that heating the oil would help with viscosity and thus help with engine life.

When i start my engine in 17F without plugging in the heaters i have installed the engine really groans. If i start it after a few hours of plugging it in it purrs. so you tell me whats not working.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #36  
Heating the coolant warms up the block which helps a diesel start better, while heating the oil helps the viscocity of oil, but most of the oil is just sitting in the oil pan. The block heaters are a higher wattage also, usually 1000-1500 watts. The radiator hose heaters are usually 600 watts.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #37  
the sat dish was just a reference to its adherence principals. Now for the next point.

Why do you need to heat the water and not the oil??

The water is protected from freezing to about -40F with antifreeze. The oil gets thicker with cold. I would assume that heating the oil would help with viscosity and thus help with engine life.

When i start my engine in 17F without plugging in the heaters i have installed the engine really groans. If i start it after a few hours of plugging it in it purrs. so you tell me whats not working.

Warm cyclinders will start an engine in cold weather much better than warm oil will. Heating the oil just lets the engine crank a little better which may make the difference of it starting or not, but does not radiate heat to warm the fuel. A block heater will warm the cyclinders, warm the oil, warm the fuel all in one. If sticking a heating pad worked as well or better it would be offered by the manufactures.
A heating pad works great for critters water bowls also, but that is not what this thread is about.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #38  
Warm cylinders will start an engine in cold weather much better than warm oil will. Heating the oil just lets the engine crank a little better which may make the difference of it starting or not, but does not radiate heat to warm the fuel. A block heater will warm the cyclinders, warm the oil, warm the fuel all in one. If sticking a heating pad worked as well or better it would be offered by the manufactures.
A heating pad works great for critters water bowls also, but that is not what this thread is about.

errrrr.. the post was about a magnetic stick on heater. not a block heater. My post is alot closer to the OP question than your is.

Also, i still happen to disagree with your idea of what an engine needs to start up. the glow plugs can actually start my tractor just fine without any heat. all i wanted to do was give it some added help.

Oil or lack of oil will destroy a cylinder wall faster than anything . Heating the oil to assist flow is all that i want to do, and is all that needs to be done.

So you keep spouting your ideas and ill keep spouting mine. But don't you dare say that my ideas have no place on this forum.

thats just plain rude and condescending

now, back to the OP's question, a magnetic heater sucks.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #39  
grsthegreat said:
errrrr.. the post was about a magnetic stick on heater. not a block heater. My post is alot closer to the OP question than your is.

Also, i still happen to disagree with your idea of what an engine needs to start up. the glow plugs can actually start my tractor just fine without any heat. all i wanted to do was give it some added help.

Oil or lack of oil will destroy a cylinder wall faster than anything . Heating the oil to assist flow is all that i want to do, and is all that needs to be done.

So you keep spouting your ideas and ill keep spouting mine. But don't you dare say that my ideas have no place on this forum.

I an sure that is why every diesel truck that I have drivin has come with the factory option block heater.

use the right oil and starting should not be a problem.

Only when your ideas are encouraging people to do things to damage their equipment.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #40  
Originally Posted by grsthegreat

Go back and read the mans question!!!!!!!

Last edited: