Magnetic Engine Block Heater

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater
if you dont mind cracking into the engines freeze blocks, those work great. There are also ones that go into the lower radiator hose and they work nice also ( i had one of those on my truck in Montana that had -60F wind chill winters). I myself use the glue on style of heaters made by Wolverine. I didnt want to open a freeze plug, and i couldnt cut the lower radiator hose cause there was already a t off of it for the cab heater. so this was next choice. I am very happy with it. there perminant and put out great heat. 10 minute install.

I have no experience in dealing with the freeze plugs... should I stay away from them? Here is picture of where the block heater is to be installed. It goes in #12. Is that the freeze plug? Is it hard to get out? Why not open it?

Attachments

• yhst-88735448068253_2185_32240927.png
    yhst-88735448068253_2185_32240927.png
    214.9 KB · Views: 928
   / Magnetic Engine Block Heater #12  
I have no experience in dealing with the freeze plugs... should I stay away from them? Here is picture of where the block heater is to be installed. It goes in #12. Is that the freeze plug? Is it hard to get out? Why not open it?

It usually isnt hard to do, but i personally dont want to crack into the engine block.... alot of people do it though.

I just really didnt want to mess with my NEW tractors engine.....i was chicken

Attachments

• ch005.gif
    ch005.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,805
   / Magnetic Engine Block Heater #13  
I've got quite a few of the magnetic heaters as well. They're take-offs from returned rental equipment. They're *better than nothing*, but just barely. In addition to the already-mentioned poor transfer of the heat they produce, there's something else to consider: watts.

While *real* block heaters that go into a frost plug hole are typically rated at anywhere from 400-1000 watts, (even more for large diesels), typical stick-on magnetic heaters are around 150-300 watts. So you're not only transferring the heat far less efficiently, but you also have less of it to transfer.

You could stick on two or three magnetic heaters, and then add a wrap-around blanket heater for your battery, plug them all in simultaneously....and end up with something comparable to the results you'll get with a *real* block heater.

;)

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #14  
Some engines have a plug that actually is threaded in, soe series of kubotas had this including mine. Hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like it might. If so, that is a slick way to go and you get excellent heat transfer right into the block with a very clean setup. The other trick I got from a neighbor is to get one of the 3prong to 2 prong cheaters. Use that for a cap on your cord when you are out plowing, so the part you want to plug in doesn't corrode up so easily. You can tie it right on the cord if you attach something to the little green wire on it.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #15  
In your diagram the freeze plugs are labeled #7. As noted above, #12 looks like some other kind of fitting, which would likely be easy to use if the heater fits it.
Freeze plugs are heavy sheet-metal cups (or slightly crowned flat discs) that you can easily remove with a sharp screwdriver or slender cold chisel, being careful of the block casting. The heater replaces the plug, usually tightening an o-ring or gasket with a central bolt to seal it up. Often draining and refilling the coolant takes as long as the heater installation. Sometimes it goes bad, so I recommend you do the job on a day the parts store is open.
Jim

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #16  
I am looking into the possibilities of purchasing a engine block heater. Do the magnetic ones work or should I look for something else?

Where is the best place to mount it?

No, waste of money. Get a lower radiator hose heater.

Chris

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #17  
One word of caution. When ever installing any block heater or lower radiator hose heater run the tractor up to temp, maybe 15 minutes, and keep a eye on the fluid level and refill as necessary before plugging the heater in. Just like a electric water heater, if there is any air in the system you will burn it out in 1.58937959745987 seconds.:D

On a water heater in your home if you need to replace the element you run the water for 10 minutes on both cold and hot to get the air out of the system prior to powering up.

Chris

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #19  
if you dont mind cracking into the engines freeze blocks, those work great. There are also ones that go into the lower radiator hose and they work nice also ( i had one of those on my truck in Montana that had -60F wind chill winters). I myself use the glue on style of heaters made by Wolverine. I didnt want to open a freeze plug, and i couldnt cut the lower radiator hose cause there was already a t off of it for the cab heater. so this was next choice. I am very happy with it. there perminant and put out great heat. 10 minute install.

grsthegreat, I have a question about your heater install. The Wolverine website says the oil pan surface must be smooth and flat for proper installation. My oil pan has a U-shaped indentation to allow for clearance with the front drive shaft. Would this indentation prevent me from using the stick-on type block heater? Thanks in advance.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #20  
grsthegreat, I have a question about your heater install. The Wolverine website says the oil pan surface must be smooth and flat for proper installation. My oil pan has a U-shaped indentation to allow for clearance with the front drive shaft. Would this indentation prevent me from using the stick-on type block heater? Thanks in advance.

the one i placed on my oil pan was only about 1-1/2" wide x 6" long, so was easy to find a spot on the underside of my pan. Im not sure about a u in it. Before i ordered mine i called the company. They were very familiar with my brand of tractor and told me what one i needed and where to place it. give them a call.

as far as oil heaters.... i had a freeze plug heater (an oil heater) on my old JD870 for 14 years, on my Dodge Cummins for 16 years and on my F350 for the past 3 years and have had no issues. Once you run the tractor, if there is any moisture its burned off. And its not like your heating the oil up anywheres near the levels it heats up while operating the engine. A 125 watt heater running for 2 hours just takes the chill of of 2 gallons of oil.