Rim Guard --> Beet Juice

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #51  
Let me throw another mix into the brew:
At certain wet times of the season those with filled tires may not always be able to get on the turf without badly marking it. It is very easy however to unbolt the wheel weights and leave the weight behind to get on with the chores at hand.

Plus I have seen all kinds of pictures posted here at the tractorbynet site with corrosion damage done to rims that have used fluids in the tires. Cast iron adds no corrosive value to the rim itself.

Still some mighty good reasons for choosing wheel weights over fluids if you ask me. This is just my two cents worth mind you.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #52  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A loaded tire doesn't conform to the ground to the extent a unloaded tire does. )</font>

I don't really understand how there can be much of a difference, but I am in no position to argue with anyone as I don't have the experience to draw from.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have 400 lbs. of cast weights on my tractor and it made a tremendous difference. )</font>

That looks like a neat setup, where the "weight holder" (for lack of a better term) is bolted onto the wheel and the weights are easily removable. With a setup such as yours, I wonder how practicable it would be to have weights that are heavier on one side that the other such that you would gain some of the advantages of fluid where the majority of the weight is below the center of the wheel. The weight would most likely require a bearing in the center.

Kelvin

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #53  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I equated your use of the word 'most' with more than half. )</font>

I still don't understand where the conflict is, if there is any.

When a tire has fluid added, and is not filled to 100% capacity (by volume)with the fluid, then 'most', or 'more than half' of the fluid will be below the center of the wheel.

There must be something simple that I am missing...

Kelvin

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #54  
PineRidge,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Plus I have seen all kinds of pictures posted here at the tractorbynet site with corrosion damage done to rims that have used fluids in the tires. )</font>

I agree that there a potential corrosion problems. There are also techniques to prevent the corrosion. One of the reasons I wanted to bring this post back to life was to open discussion of these techniques.

By reading the posts on this site and also gathering opinions from local Kubota dealers and Farmer's Co-Ops, this is a summary of the various statements I've read & heard and are trying to sort through. Note that I am not necessarily arguing FOR or AGAINST any of these techniques:

(1) Use less corrosive fluid. This makes sense. There are several discussions as to which fluid is least corrosive. This subject is expanded into which fluids are safer for the environment in the unlikely event of a fluid leak.
(2) Fill the tire to over 50% such that the entire wheel is covered; not doing this will allow the wheel to be exposed to air while wet thus creating an situation where corrosion could easily form. Fill the tire to over 50% even if you don't need that much weight.
(3a) USE TUBES; this keeps the fluid off of the metal wheel. Also, tubes help keep tires from breaking the bead under extreme side-loads.
(3b) DON"T use TUBES; This allows moisture to form between the tube and the wheel which allows corrision to form. Tubes can develop a small leak that will expose the wheel to moisture and subsequent corrosion.

Kelvin

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #55  
<font color="blue"> I still don't understand where the conflict is, if there is any.</font>
There isn't.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #56  
Kelvin I have seen a lot of discussion regarding damage done to tractors with acid splashing on various tractor parts. In these cases most opt for a sealed battery such as the Optima to eliminate further damage to their expensive investments. If there are known problems most folks find a solution that will reduce or eliminate the likely event of further damage.

So back to the damage at hand caused by fluid filled tires, will I be putting this stuff in my rims with the investment that I currently have? NOT very likely in this lifetime. While I am sure that there are some very good arguments for fluid filled tires vs. wheel weights I can't justify carrying the load 100% of the time not to mention damage that could result to the tractor itself.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you never encounter any of these problems yourself.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #57  
I will give my experience with loaded tires:

I bought a Kubota B2150DT three years ago from the prior owner of my home. The tires were ag and were loaded with a CaCl2 mixture. I use the tractor mainly for mowing, so I wanted turf tires, but wanted to keep the ag's for loader work. Anyway, I usually switch tires twice a year. I noticed that around the stem hole, the wheel was severely corroded. After further inspection, the stem came out of the tube throught the stem hole! The CaCl2 corroded the brass stem in the tube to the point that it would pop out. I drained both rears in a plastic drum. I found one wheel to be completely unsalvageable and one that I spent a whole day rebuilding the stem hole in the wheel. I now have about 35-40 gallons of a CaCl2 mixture that I don't want to throw out, but I don't want to use for fear that it will corrode my new rims. I did like the weight that CaCl2 added, so I'm torn. One thing to remember: just because you use a tube with CaCl2 doesn't mean that something won't corrode.

I believe that beet juice is the way to go.

John

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #58  
<font color="blue"> Maybe I have missed something but I don't see how you can get as much weight via wheel weights as you can with fluid.
</font>
You may not get as much, but pound for pound it more effective for traction. Fluid doesn't let the tire conform to the dirt as well as cast weight. I think that Art explained it the best a while back, I don't remember if it was here or someplace else. Firestone has a lot of stuff about fluid fill on their site, just about anything that anyone would like to know. They did have some information about how the cast was recommended over fluid, I looked briefly for it and will look again. I was told by someone that Michelin also had something like it, but I haven't looked there. I do know that with weights like I have, you have the advantages of the weights and can remove them easily without the headaches of fluid.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #59  
How does a part liquid part air-filled tire have any different tire contact patch than a pure air-fill? The tire has not "gone solid" - it is still compressible - the air pressure in the (still considerable volume of) non-liquid zone is still set to the same pressure setting as the pure-air tire. That comment leaves me stumped. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have driven tractors with fluid-filled and pure air-filled tires (but never the same tractor both ways) and never noticed any difference in ride consistent with one style of fill or the other - it seemed all due to tire ply count and the dozen other more significant differences between the tractors.

Our '53 Ford has calcium chloride filled rears (have no idea if there are tubes or not) - for close to or better than 20 years on the current set - no real corrosion problems. Storey is that there were a few corrosion issues around the stem holes when the current set of tires were mounted in the still-used original rims - since the last set had also been fluid-filled. Required some repair work - but those rims are still rolling today.

Here's a question - Would wheel weights (like any other weight anywhere on the tractor) end up as part of the tire loading (reducing the amount available to carry the rest of the tractor/load) where liquid would not?

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #60  
<font color="blue"> Here's a question - Would wheel weights (like any other weight anywhere on the tractor) end up as part of the tire loading (reducing the amount available to carry the rest of the tractor/load) where liquid would not?</font>
I would say that as far as tire load goes, you are probably right. but how many compact owners exceed the tire load?
As far as the conforming, from what I have seen, the weight of the water on the bottom of the tire vs the cast load through the sidewall is the difference. Tires are designed to carry their loads through sidewall not the type of load that the water supplies to the contact patch only or should I say in large part.