Rim Guard --> Beet Juice

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #61  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> I would say that as far as tire load goes, you are probably right. but how many compact owners exceed the tire load?
As far as the conforming, from what I have seen, the weight of the water on the bottom of the tire vs the cast load through the sidewall is the difference. Tires are designed to carry their loads through sidewall not the type of load that the water supplies to the contact patch only or should I say in large part. </font> )</font>

The liquid inside of the tire is actually a help to the sidewall of the tire. Liquid unlike air doesn't compress so the liquid makes the sidewall stiffer and less likely to break the tire bead. This is one of the things that I have noticed about filled tires vs. non filled tires....

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #62  
I wasn't referring to the stability of the sidewall. The weight of the fluid on the contact patch prevents it from conforming to the soil in the same way that a non-loaded tire does. Everyone that still insists on using fluid needs to speak to the Firestone Ag people. They make the tires and know how the get the most traction out of them and it is not fluid. They will tell you that. If you insist by all means use fluid, but cast has proved to be better. That is the reason most large farmers have gone to cast.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #63  
call me stubborn, obstinate, pig headed, etc., but I will agree with you to disagree. This is like so many things in life, it depends on your experiences and personal preferences. I have used both and prefer the filled. I still have my wheel weights and might add them to the tractor at some time in the future, since the philosophy of "more is better"....... As for the people at Firestone making claims, I still remember the debacle of the Ford Explorer where Firestone said that there was no problem with the tires and it was the car..... I didn't agree with them at that time and I still don't necessarily agree with them now.... call me pig headed!!!!!! I may not be correct all the time, but this is my opinion and I am always correct about my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #64  
Re: Loading vrs Not Loading

I have to agree with Junkman. Both of my tractors have and always will have loaded tires. My 2120 has calcium and my TN75 has Rim Guard. The Ford specs on my 2120 with 7309 loader specify that you load the tires 75%, add weights to the rear tires and carry a load on the 3 pt hitch (all 3) for loader stability. All 3 weight amounts are specified but I don't have the manual here. I think that the combined amount is about equal to the loader lift capacity if my memory serves me well.

I also do not believe that Firestone does not recommend loading tires. I searched their site and there was not even a reference to not loading. There was a multi page tech note on how to load tires. The URL for it is here http://www.firestoneag.com/tiredata/info/info_hydro_1.asp

I also think the deflection difference between loaded and unloaded tires assuming they are only 75% loaded is minimal. Remember it's not the fluid that compresses, but the air.

From what I've read on this board many of you seem to under inflate your tires. I've also always run my tires at recommended tire pressures without traction problems.

Just my opinions based on driving tractors since 1958. But opinions are always subject to change.

Andy

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #65  

You have made my day neighbor...... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifguess that I will just have to buy you a beer next time to celebrate.......

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #66  

Firestone has lots and lots of information on hydro fill. That is not to say that is the most current recommendation or the most usefull. Lots of things change as time does. Just like very few plow with horses any more if they have a large farm. When the tractor first came to market most thought it was a joke and tried to stay with their horse till they were put out of business. Has anyone used steel wheels not tires but wheels on their tractor lately? Lots of things come and go and there are always some that hold on to the old no matter how out dated or ineffective it is.
THE END

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #67  

are you implying that I am old and antiquated??????? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #68  
<font color="blue"> How does a part liquid part air-filled tire have any different tire contact patch than a pure air-fill? The tire has not "gone solid" - it is still compressible - the air pressure in the (still considerable volume of) non-liquid zone is still set to the same pressure setting as the pure-air tire. That comment leaves me stumped. </font>

I don:t know if it is a practical consideration, but there is a pressure/vol. relationship with a gas. Since the liquid in the tire is not compressable, it reduces the vol that the remaining gas in the tire occupies.

If volume goes down, pressure goes up.

If the tire flattens out, it seems like the internal volume would reduce. In this case, the air pressure in the bubble on the top would go much higher than it would if it was only air filled tire.

This increased pressure could reduce the amount the tire will the liquid fill would flatten as compared to a non-filled tire.

I have no idea if this makes any practical sense...I know the theory is there...my gut tells me filled or unfilled would be about the same...

Using this logic the original comment seemed possible to me... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Overthink on my part maybe... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The weight of the fluid on the contact patch prevents it from conforming to the soil in the same way that a non-loaded tire does. )</font>

I think this would be true for radial tires.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Everyone that still insists on using fluid needs to speak to the Firestone Ag people. )</font>

I did talk to the Firestone Ag division. The engineer I spoke with said load was a good idea (for my situation and the type of Firestone tire I have).

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #70  

<font color="blue"> Firestone has lots and lots of information on hydro fill. That is not to say that is the most current recommendation or the most usefull. Lots of things change as time does. Just like very few plow with horses any more if they have a large farm. When the tractor first came to market most thought it was a joke and tried to stay with their horse till they were put out of business. Has anyone used steel wheels not tires but wheels on their tractor lately? Lots of things come and go and there are always some that hold on to the old no matter how out dated or ineffective it is.
</font>

Jerry I could not have said it any better myself. We all have choices but I believe filled tires to be the old way, not the best way.

Just my 2 cents worth.