Rim Guard --> Beet Juice

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #71  
Re: Loading vrs Not Loading

I don't know about these little compact tractors on acreages but from a farming standpoint you are much better off with weights. There are many times that the weight has to be varyed depending on what you are doing. Not many tractors these days for farms or ranches are filled with fluid anymore. The choice for the most part is to use weights so you can take them off and on as necessary depending on the field conditions and what crop you are producing. About the only time you fill tires anymore is when you are going to have a dedicated loaded tractor, usually with 4wd, that you aren't going to do any crop work or will be using the tractor where compaction isn't an issue.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #72  

Nothing better then seeing the difference of two identical tractors doing identical tillage work and watch the change by removing the cast and adding the exact same weight of calcium. You can go lighter with cast by 1/3 and still have the same as with juice. I always thought that ballast was ballast but I had to wait till I was nearly 50 to see it proven it isn't the same.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #73  

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #74  
timb,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How does a part liquid part air-filled tire have any different tire contact patch than a pure air-fill? The tire has not "gone solid" - it is still compressible - the air pressure in the (still considerable volume of) non-liquid zone is still set to the same pressure setting as the pure-air tire. That comment leaves me stumped.
)</font>
I have no practical experience with filled tires but if you take one of those 2 litre plastic bottles - let the pressure off of it while its mostly full, then seal it tight and squeeze. Compare the amount of deflection you can cause on a completely empty one (filled with air and sealed) - I haven't tried this with just water in it instead of coke.. maybe the Co2 is swelling the bottle a bit...but I suspect its cuz liquids are compressible but not as compressible as gases - any way something to think about. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

floyd/fwc

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #75  
<font color="blue"> suspect its cuz liquids are compressible but not as compressible as gases </font>

For all practical purposes, Liquids are NOT compressible. If you filled the coke bottle 100%, any squish you get will be countered by a bulge in the other direction.

I think my fluid dynamics professor would get a kick out of this discussion. I can see it now: For homework: How much stiffer is a 75% fluid filled tire than a 100% air filled tire? You could make the labratory exercise lots of fun - Class, go move some dirt with those two tractors & report back!

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice

Does anybody know if it is possible to get 500+ lbs per wheel in wheel weights for the larger compacts.

Also what does the OEM wheel weight set-up go for?

I have a friend who I helped pick out a tractor this fall. Its a Kubota L4330 with loader and backhoe. We did not have the chloride put in. We wanted Rim Guard, but no local dealers yet. So I was thinking, after fluid vs wheel weights discussion, it maybe better for him to go the wheel weight route.

Thanks

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #77  

<font color="blue"> Does anybody know if it is possible to get 500+ lbs per wheel in wheel weights for the larger compacts. </font>
If the Kubota Operator's Manual is like my NH manual, there's a section on wheel weights and it will list how much weight per wheel Kubota recommends. Odds are it will also list the different weight recommended based upon the tire type. In the case of the NH, Ag tires and wheels can handle more weight.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #78  

The attaching parts is the is the most important. They don't normally recommend it but it can be done and is.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #79  
I guess you could rough it by saying that you have a 400% stiffer "air spring" in theory since you have but 25% of the compressible volume - at the same pressure - but I'm going to guess that the enclosure structure (i.e. the tire) is not a bystander in this situation. Quite a lot of the (sidewall) stiffness or shape "holding" (and subsequently the tire contact patch/shape and "ride") is from the tire carcass itself. Going to a 75% fill isn't going to turn the tire into a railroad "steel wheel on a steel rail" situation. On top of that - is it possible that the fluid weight/pressure actually *increases* the tire patch from the effects of the fluid inside of the tire? (think of an air-filled ballon sitting on a table versus a water balloon). Well possibly at least there is some "expansion" offset to any reduction in overall compressibility of the tire from loading.

And certainly radials are going to react a *lot* different than bias-ply tires but I don't know if any of the CUT mfg's offer radials either standard or as an option. I do believe the tire mfgs. give very different recommendations for radials than more traditional bias tractor tires.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #80  

Rowsiki,
I don''t think that it would be feasible to put that much on. I have a 40 hp compact and have 200 lbs. per side. I do quite a bit of ground engaging work, bottom plowing, cultivation and box blading. The total 400 lbs is enough. I think that if you have much more that you will be over weighted. More is not always better. If you put so much on that you are not getting some tire slippage, then you have to much. That is very had on the drive train and uses more fuel than needed. As far as price goes, I have about $350 in my weights and brackets.