j.i. case 1949 SC

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
ya i will when my girl freind gets back from town and i replaced the seal in the break and took it down the road and what do you no it STILL LEAKS!!!!!!!!!!:mad: so i dont no what to do i just put 100 dollars worth of oil in the rear if i no it was gonna leak id never replaced it in the first place i put everything back just the way it was everything is tight so i dont no what the deal is i may try jb weld it and let the breaks lay in oil i can live with one break

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #42  
shaft worn where the seal rides? if so ..sleave it

ps.. i put very hevy grease/oil in my vac...

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #43  
It may be possible that you rolled the lip on the seal going over that splined end on the differential shaft. It is very easy to do... I rolled one on my 310B even though it is slightly different,and used a slick trick I learned from another site, to not damage the seal. Yup, it happened anyway, and I was careful.

If you care to try it again, wrap the splined end of the differential shaft with electrical tape. Start from the inside, just where the shaft is smooth, and wrap outwards. Then apply some gear oil to the surface of the tape.This will give it something to slide over, and no edges to catch on. The seal should slide in past, where the tape ends. Leave a tail on the outside end, and when things are in place, you can pull that tail piece, and it will pull right out of there.

From the looks of the exploded view @ Case/IH, it looks like the seal is located in the inside brake ring. Am I correct..??

I got mine right the second time on the 310B, and within 6 months, it was leaking again. I do believe this is the nature of the beast, after talking to some Case collectors.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
well if thats the case i may as well just leave the leak and live with it it the only leak on it besides the raditor and ive yet to tell if it just from the overflow or the corner of it but i can add that when needed. and Mike How much do you think the 49 Case Tractor sc is worth in great condition?

Last edited:
   / j.i. case 1949 SC #45  
Mike How much do you think the 49 Case Tractor sc is worth in great condition?

Is it restored or unrestored. A restored one will bring about $2500 to $4500 and a unrestored one will be about $600 to $1500. It mostly depends on the demand and rarity of them in your area and how much someone wants to pay for one.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
mine is in grade A shape no rust just repainted last year no leaks other then the one break runs great i paid 1300 for it

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #47  
if I were you.. I'd fix that leak. if the seal is rolled, the band is broke. the leak will get worse when the rubber gets loose.

many of us have BTDT and got the greasy tshirt.

It
s not abig deal to drain the sump into tubs, and then re-use if clean, pouring thru a paint strainer.

I've had steering boxes off and apart 2-3 times trying to get thrust bearings correct. sometimes,.. had a bad batch from china come thru.. that and worn sectors.. etc..

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
from what others have told me is it will leak no matter what so ill just JB weld the over the line and try seal it up the old seal had the rubber completly gone looks like it was just sheared off my guess is poor manufacturing on case part cuz i put that seal in just like the old one was it was just as hard putting it in as the other one was coming out

Last edited:
   / j.i. case 1949 SC
but i bit the bullet and took it apart and put another one in this time so far no drips yet the real test will be letting it sit and tommaroe night after work i see if it held now Mike is their a way to tell if it has enuff rear end fluid in it? it does not have a dipstick the filler plug is way up top by seat in the process of drainin it a second time i spilt/left some in the bottom of the buckets it was gritty i dont think i lost a hole lot but maybe a quart or 2

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #50  
The plug to check the level is along the rear casting on the right side as sitting on the seat to the left and down 6 or so inches. It is a square headed plug bigger than the ones on the oil pan, about 1/2 inch in size. It should take approximately 10.75 U.S. gallons.