Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #11  
Daves1708
I checked and this is what I found. The battery has 12.2 volts in it. When I put the red lead on the starter connection and ground the black lead it read 12.2 volts. When the key is turned (for starting), it reads 11.9 volts. This seems strange! What do you think?
Stu

12.2 volts is only 60% charged.

Before you can trouble shoot, you need a known good fully charged battery. Put it on a charger and charge it until it is at 12.6 volts rested (i.e. no post charge surface charge.) Then get the battery load tested. Yes I know you said it was a new battery, but I've seen defective new batteries. Then make sure all connections at the battery and down stream are clean. This means disconnect at starter, frame or block grounds and inspect and clean. I've seen connections that look good, but when opened up, they were bad.

Since you said it was stored in the barn for 30 days, I'd do a visual on the entire wire harness to ensure the critters have not chewed up some of the wiring.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #12  
You also have the neutral gear sensor in the transmission that must be closed in order for the starter to work. You might check that to see if it is working right. Mine is a little worn and I have to wiggle the gearshift back and forth in neutral for the sensor to make contact. This could be your problem although mine wont make any noise whatsoever if the neutral switch is not contacted.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #13  
Charge your battery up and report back.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E
Thanks. I charged the battery and the charger took it to 12.8 and reported it fully charged. Let it set three days and the click I hear is directly behind the passenger seat. Not on/in the starter. Now the click is louder, slightly and nothing. Please remember this RTV sat for 35-40 days before I started working on it. I can find no evidence of rodent damage to the wires. I have moved the gear many times to make sure it is in neutral.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E
Hello I am trying to upload two images. One when I turn the key on - that shows two icons on the dash, an icon of a battery and a light bulb with a flame in it. The 2nd picture has the same two icons plus an icon with a light bulb and a curly wire inside it with two arrows - one on either side of it. THe latter comes on when I turn the key to start position, the former (or first) comes on when I turn it on. I left it in on position for ten minutes and tried starting it. Nothing! The click happens when I turn it on and when I turn it off! Does this help? I found a slight nick in one wire and taped it.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #16  
The key switch positions: OFF, ON, Glow plug, Start.

The dash lights: When you turn the key to the on position, the battery light and the oil press light will come on to tell you the bulbs are working. When you turn the key half way to the start position, the glow plug light comes on until you turn the key further to engage the starter.

I get a loud click when I turn the key to on and another click a short time after turning it to off. It is NOT the starter. That click is the fuel cut-off solenoid.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #17  
There is the shift lever position safety switch on the main shift shaft, on top of the transmission case. It reads the location of the shift shaft inside the transmission. There is a second safety switch that is only on the turf models. It is the Hyd. lever switch.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #18  
Are you turning the key far enough past when the glow plug light comes on to actually engage the starter?

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #19  
Daves1708
I checked and this is what I found. The battery has 12.2 volts in it. When I put the red lead on the starter connection and ground the black lead it read 12.2 volts. When the key is turned (for starting), it reads 11.9 volts. This seems strange! What do you think?
Stu

You have a weak battery. Charge it up.

Also, check safety switches. For example, the brake switch on my Kioti after a week or two screws up and so i need to cycle the brakes on off and half dozen times to clean up the electrical connection so the computer registers the brake is on and will allow starting.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #20  
Stu---how is it going? I have the owners, shop, parts manuals on the dining table. The electrical schematic is pretty simple so let us know.