Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E
Yes I turn the key all the way to try and start it. When I turn it on it shows two icons and when I turn it as far as it will go it shows three icons on the dash BUT NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS. When I first turn it on, I hear a click and when I turn it off I hear a click. I tried uploading two photos but that died! They were 3 meg photos of the dash!

I have to leave to go to town in a few minutes. Should be available tomorrow whenever! Thanks!!!!!!!

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #23  
When you first turn the key on, it should show two icons (the battery and oil pressure) and you will hear the click of the fuel shut-off solenoid. As you turn the key further, the glow plug icon will show. If nothing else happens, we will now proceed further to help....(getting manuals ready)

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #24  
To determine if the problem is the starter or something else like the relay or safety switch, you can jumper 12v to the small wire (black/yellow) going to the starter solenoid. You could also just check that the wire is getting 12v when the ign sw is in "start" position. If the starter solenoid does nothing with that wire energized, something is wrong with the starter. We know the 2 big fuses are good because you are getting the glow plug lamp. If the B/Y wire is not getting 12v, it is either the ign switch, safety switch, starter relay. The black/white wire leaving the ign switch should have 12v when the key is turned to the start position.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #25  
Yes I turn the key all the way to try and start it. When I turn it on it shows two icons and when I turn it as far as it will go it shows three icons on the dash BUT NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS. When I first turn it on, I hear a click and when I turn it off I hear a click. I tried uploading two photos but that died! They were 3 meg photos of the dash!

99% your problem is battery related. The new battery you installed was dead from the factory, and more than likely ruined - having the voltage drop 0.3V just from having key turned tells me it is junk. Once left dead, batteries destroy themselves and there's no going back - regardless of whether or not they take a charge. A new fully-charged battery should read ~12.8V or so - before you do anything else, return that junk gel battery and get a new one.

Also, check the ground line from the battery to the chassis and make sure it is well connected and clean. Use jumper cables and try to start the RTV with your car/truck to eliminate the battery from the equation. It could also be a starter relay - put a meter on the starter lug and have somebody turn the key to see if voltage is getting down there.

Lastly, it is possible that your key switch locking collar has loosened, and the switch has rotated slightly in it's hole - sometimes the switch won't engage the momentary start position when that happens - my BX2200 does that all the time.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #26  
OK Stu, with the dump box open and secured, open the electronics panel that is on the back of the drivers seat. The starter relay is the second from the right with 4 wires connected to it. A fat B/W and B/Y, a skinny R/BL and B. Does this relay click when you turn the switch to start? If so, you should then be getting power to the starter solenoid through the fat B/Y wire. Now, after unplugging the connector, none of the wires will have 12v until you turn the switch to start, or all the way to the right. First, check that you have power on the fat B/W when you turn the switch. That is power from the ign switch. Next, check that the skinny R/BL wire has power with the switch turned. That wire is coming from the safety switches. If both of those are ok, the relay should be clicking when you turn the key to start. You should then be getting power to the starter solenoid through the fat B/Y wire.

Last edited:
   / Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #27  
Thanks. I charged the battery and the charger took it to 12.8 and reported it fully charged. Let it set three days and the click I hear is directly behind the passenger seat. Not on/in the starter. Now the click is louder, slightly and nothing. Please remember this RTV sat for 35-40 days before I started working on it. I can find no evidence of rodent damage to the wires. I have moved the gear many times to make sure it is in neutral.
I think this is your problem. A charger should take a battery to 13.8 volts to show fully charged. You may have gotten a bad battery if it is new and wont take more than 12.8 volts to fully charged. Have you tried this battery in another vehicle to see how it performs?

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #28  
By the way, I just put on a new starter solenoid on my ZTR mower that was just clicking when the key is turned. It would start when I jumped the two terminals with a screwdriver. Have you tried that? If it wont turn over when doing that, your battery is for sure bad.

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #29  
Ok this might sound stupid but this happen to me when I put a new starter on mine the bolt on the starter turned when I was putting it on and it would not work at all with the bolt tight move the wire side to side then see if it will turn over

Hey Guys

Just finished talking with Optima Tech Support. I just learned that the highest voltage it will charge to is 12.8 volts. I have an Optima Red Top Battery! Didn't know that! Life is continuous learning!