Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips?

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #311  
AlanB said:
I loved the Crescent wrench debate,

So I asked Crescent for their answer.

Alan,

All Crescent branded adjustable wrenches have an arrow indicating the proper direction for use. The proper direction would be; as the wrench is held in front of the user, the moveable jaw would be on the under side. The wrench is used in a downward manner toward the moveable jaw.
This puts the load on the fixed jaw. When used away from the moveable jaw or opposite direction the load is then put on the moveable jaw (weakest part).

Regretably this answer from Crescent is wrong from the standpoint that they have not given the correct reason for turning the wrench in the "correct" direction. I sent the following note to Skyco and Jimmer about a week ago:

"Unfortunately, the flavor of the thread on the subject has served to curb real inquiry. I finally went ahead on my own and applied identical torque both ways, at an abusive level. Neither was close to a slip tho. Below is the P/M I sent Skyco about it.

"I understand the point you made, and share the direction of thought with you. However the wrench is stronger when used such that the fixed jaw is away from you when pulling even tho the movable jaw encounters the bolt flat further out. The reason for this is flex in the neck of the handle where the adjuster is held. When pulling toward the movable jaw this flex tips the jaw inward more and more as torque and force increases, actually tending to squeeze the nut. The jaw actually braces the handle by reacting from the nut back into the handle. - - When used the other way the flex tends to splay the jaws apart. Even tho this direction spares the movable jaw by applying force near the support point it really is strong enuff to take it either way. The situation of design seems to balance the respective benefits such that the wrench has very near the same torque ability in either direction. Not quite tho. In worst case situations pull toward the movable jaw. Its strong enuf to take it even tho the whole system ends up leaning on it.:) "

Crescent, in their predigested answer, does not give credit to the inquirer and gives an answer that stumbles over physics. In truth the strong jaw is more highly stressed when the wrench is used backward - and it flexes causing the small splay I observed and measured.
larry

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #312  
So be it; now which is the side that makes the best hammer?:D :D :D

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #313  
I haven't done it yet although I've changed oil twice. Because of trouble in removing the oil filter I will try to remember to loosen and retighten it between oil changes.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #315  
That was for the woodworker, not the mech.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #317  
I just thot of one that I think I mentioned elsewhere, but not here. -- To better slow without brake wear on downhill control situations, curl you bucket against its stop and hold. Fluid flow thru the relief valve is brake horsepower so to speak.
larry

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #318  
Surely the army is out of step and Johny is in step. Just because the manufacturer of Crescent wrenches and EVERY GOOGLE HIT I READ agrees with what I reported earlier as my USAF training and personal surmise there is no reason to cast aspersions on a lone voice shouting in the wilderness.

Chicken Little may be right. Remember in the words of a terrific president, "trust but verify." All Chicken Little has to do now to preserve dominance in this debate (without being unpleasant toward anyone) is to provide samples of pieces of sky. Said samples to be of significant size so as to be irrefutable evidence.

I suppose the Crescent folks might not know how their wrench works and may never have tested it in either direction much less have compared results of use in the two directions. It is probably prudent to assume that they are just quoting other unknowledgeable folks who are quoting yet other unknowledgeable folks and haven't any useful insight into the function and or use of the wrench that bears their name.

Pat

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #319  
motepoc said:
That was for the woodworker, not the mech.

New Page 1
Click on Products
Click on Specialty

Then click any of the following...

Bricklayers or Mason's Hammers
Bricklayer or Mason's Hammers with Bricklayer Grip
Drywall Hammers
Drilling Hammers <<<<<
Drilling Hammers with Long Handle <<<<<
Welding/Chipping Hammer <<<<
Engineer's Hammer<<<<<
Ballpeen Hammers <<<<<<
Cross Peen Hammers<<<<<

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #320  
Oh, Paul... Those folks don't have a clue about hammers, how they work, how they are used or what physics is involved, whether to concern themselves with Energy = MV*V or Momentum = MV or even if the "collision" between the head (hammer's head) and the struck object is best modeled by an elastic or inelastic collision.) They just copy the shape of something that sells a lot of copies at harbor freight, dressing it up and and making it more aesthetically and cosmetically superior to the uninitiated.

Any claims of being anti-resonant so as to reduce damage to long term users is NOT justifiable as it flies in the face of physics and borders on faith healing.

This analysis must be true as I shared it via PM with appropriate folks, am prepared to repeat it ad infinitum, and I did copious quantities of personal research in my lab (known to the masses as the Exalted Laboratory of Irreproducible Results!)

Pat ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)