Core Aerator

/ Core Aerator #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
I purchased a core aerator (used) this summer. I tried it today. It isn't throwing plugs. I cleaned all of the holes and tried again. It just plugs and stays plugged. I tried it at different speeds and different heights with same results. Ground is soft and loamy.

/ Core Aerator
yes, it is pt aerator. Not sure why it isn't throwing the plugs.

/ Core Aerator #4  
It could be that the ground is too soft. That will sometimes causes the tines to plug up.
What kind of depth are you getting with the PT aerator?

/ Core Aerator #5  
I purchased a core aerator (used) this summer. I tried it today. It isn't throwing plugs. I cleaned all of the holes and tried again. It just plugs and stays plugged. I tried it at different speeds and different heights with same results. Ground is soft and loamy.

Two years ago I was thinking about buying the aerator attachment for my PT 425. I watched the PT video on the attachment. It did not seem to be pulling up plugs. I asked a PT rep if it could pull up 4 inch plugs as most aerators. The reply was that I would have to add weights to the top of the unit. I did not purchase it. The top of the attachment is smooth and slightly tilted. Some sort of weight bar or other mechanism would have to be wielded on the unit to hold weights or concrete blocks. I doubt if downforce can be applied with the arms because float mode would be needed to traverse an uneven lawn.

/ Core Aerator #6  
I was skeptical about the performance due to the tine layout on their aerator. They have all of the tines in a row which you never see on purpose built aerators. Normally they are staggered so you don't have as many tines in the ground at the same time.

Does anyone happen to know the weight of their aerator?

/ Core Aerator #7  

Frank, if the ground is soft and loamy, it probably doesn't need aerating. I think what is happening is your pluggers are just pushing into the ground and the ground itself is not firm enough to push the plugs of dirt up and out of the top of the pluggers. Its just squishing the soil down.

/ Core Aerator #8  
I was skeptical about the performance due to the tine layout on their aerator. They have all of the tines in a row which you never see on purpose built aerators. Normally they are staggered so you don't have as many tines in the ground at the same time.

Does anyone happen to know the weight of their aerator?

I mentioned in another thread that I think they are staggered, they are just lined up pretty in the picture. It appears each wheel of pluggers is independent on the shaft. Otherwise, you could not turn the unit with the pluggers in the soil. It would trench. I could be wrong, though.

/ Core Aerator #9  
Frank, if the ground is soft and loamy, it probably doesn't need aerating. I think what is happening is your pluggers are just pushing into the ground and the ground itself is not firm enough to push the plugs of dirt up and out of the top of the pluggers. Its just squishing the soil down.

My thoughts exactly :)

/ Core Aerator #10  
I have the core aerator from PT and love it. I always get a 3 inch plug and do not have to use any weights. The down pressure of the arms is enough to get great results. I core aerate in the Fall and leave the plugs to break down during the winter. I have found that the ground should have a little moisture in it.
PJ