Core Aerator

/ Core Aerator #21  
I have a tow-behind plug aerator that is just gravity driven. I put 4 concrete blocks on it for weight. Sometimes it pushes out cores and sometimes it just pushes into the soil. A lot of it depends on the soil type, moisture content of the soil, turf conditions, and of course, quality of the implement for sure.

/ Core Aerator
I have tried with the float and with down pressure. I have tried in all different soil conditions. My guess is it needs more down pressure like with weight. The only problem is there is no real easy way to add weight to the aerator. Was hoping someone out there has this same core aerator and has a simple fix or pictures of how they added weight to it.
Moss, How long ago did PJ pass? Was he sick? Sorry to hear he will no longer be with us.

/ Core Aerator #23  
Yes, he had a terminal disease. He chose quality of life over quantity. He and his wife were driving through this area with their mothers on a road trip many years ago, and they stopped by. Then a couple years later, my wife and kids and I were on a road trip out west and we returned the visit for a couple days. Great guy. Very good influence on me. :)

/ Core Aerator #24  
I am a bit surprised by the news about PJ. Did I miss an announcement? He was a very active member here, just figured he was busy with other things. Really sorry to hear this

/ Core Aerator #26  
PJ and his wife had a one room schoolhouse near Bozeman, Montana, that they converted into a house with an addition. Really cool. It was on HGTV, I believe. Had a greenhouse attached. They'd supplement heat with wood. They built a barn into a hillside out back. PJ dug the foundation with his PT. Stored his tractor on the bottom level. On top, they built a really elegant shed, that turned into a wedding chapel setting and they held ceremonies there. They had many types of ornamental grasses all over their yard. They also got a plastic hoop greenhouse and grew popcorn. They really like it. And so did our kids. :licking: PJ and his wife did a lot with mentoring kids. They also drove school buses. In summer, PJ even drove forest fire fighter crews around in a bus. Don't know how many years they did that. He also made small wooden chests for newborn babies and put a blanket and some other baby stuff in there for the new parents. They decided to move to another state to be closer to family towards the end. So, they sold the house with PT and moved well over a year ago. I just got a letter from his wife via group email. They'd to that every year around the holidays. She is doing well. :)

/ Core Aerator #27  
Personally, I thought that what they did was nothing short of amazing, and a real testament to creativity and industriousness.

I'm glad to hear that his wife is doing well.

All the best,

Peter

/ Core Aerator
Moss did you meet PJ through this forum? It saddens me that he is gone, yet I never met him. Its funny that I never met any of you on this forum, yet I feel as though I do know you. I take that back I did meet Dan at an auction in October 2015.

/ Core Aerator #29  
Yes. PJ and I started talking about Power Tracs and he purchased his shortly after I purchased mine. His was the model with the engine at the rear, all pumps forward, the battery over the pumps and the gas tank in the hood. We talked for a couple years and then one year they were taking their moms for a several week long road trip. They happened to be passing through South Bend and I asked them to stop by. So there we are, PJ and me looking over my PT425 and comparing differences and there's my wife and his wife, never met before, looking at each other and thinking "Aren't we NOT supposed to meet up with people we talk to on the internet at their homes, but in a public place?" :laughing: And there in the back seat of their SUV were their little old moms, happy as could be. :) They had a couple gifts for our daughters and they really enjoyed that.

PJ and I had the PTs in common, and he had worked in the aviation industry and I started in the private aviation industry and had been around planes all my young life, so we had that in common, too. So, we got along quite well. Lots of stories to tell.

He did some really heavy excavating with the PT. You can search some of his earlier posts. I don't know if the pictures are still there or not. But he basically dug a 10' deep trench as wide as a one car garage into the side of the hill for that garage foundation with his buckets, tiller and mini-hoe. Lots of landscaping. And he made a man-lift so he could step up on the tire of the PT then up onto the lift to trim hedges. And he had the core aerator, which he used a lot, which is what got me going on this thread. ;)

/ Core Aerator #30  
Moss did you meet PJ through this forum? It saddens me that he is gone, yet I never met him. Its funny that I never met any of you on this forum, yet I feel as though I do know you. I take that back I did meet Dan at an auction in October 2015.

I've met a few folks from TBN besides PJ. Its a pretty good community, indeed. :thumbsup: