Core Aerator

/ Core Aerator #12  
I have the core aerator from PT and love it. I always get a 3 inch plug and do not have to use any weights. The down pressure of the arms is enough to get great results. I core aerate in the Fall and leave the plugs to break down during the winter. I have found that the ground should have a little moisture in it.
PJ

Are you able to make gradual turns with the tines in the ground without tearing turf?

/ Core Aerator #13  
Yes but gradual only. I usually lift, reposition and start new. A long gradual turn is no problem.
PJ

/ Core Aerator
Any one out there with either a 422 or 425 have the core aerator? I played with mine again today. Can not get it to throw plugs. Tried all types of ground.

/ Core Aerator #15  
Can you tell if it is penetrating the dirt fully? Often that is a issue related to not having enough weight to force the core cutter into the ground and push the last plug out.

/ Core Aerator
The pluggers go in the ground maybe an inch or so. Don't know how I can add weight to the aerator the way it is designed.

/ Core Aerator #17  
That is your problem - as the core cutter goes down it presses out the last plug. (I don't know what yours looks like - sorry)
Two things help, one is weight and the other is soft ground. If the ground is too hard it stops it from penetrating and clearing the last core out. If you can't add weight, timing your "plugging" becomes far more important.
I am looking for a 3pt model currently as the area I am doing is too darn large for the walk behind and most of the ones I personally like run over 500lbs for a 36" model to give you some idea.

/ Core Aerator #19  
I have the core aerator from PT and love it. I always get a 3 inch plug and do not have to use any weights. The down pressure of the arms is enough to get great results. I core aerate in the Fall and leave the plugs to break down during the winter. I have found that the ground should have a little moisture in it.
PJ

Frank,
As PJ (RIP PJ :) ) mentioned in this post back in 2013, his worked well with down pressure.

Have you tried down pressure?

And, what type of soil do you have? Is it hard or soft to begin with?

/ Core Aerator #20  
Also, as you mentioned you watched this video, you can see the operator changing down pressure as he goes. What you don't see in the video is any close-ups of the results.... plugs laying on the surface of the lawn after he passes.