Bent pivot pin

/ Bent pivot pin
J,

Always a possibility. However, why make the weak link in the frame? If the frame is strenghtened sufficiently (which is no big deal $$$ in this particular case) and the "weak link" is in the hydraulic system or wheel traction, no frame damage will be done that needs to be repaired costing $$$. The tractor will just bog down and not do the work. Makes more sense, I think.

I am not a designer by any means, just throwing out ideas.

lt

/ Bent pivot pin #12  

Similar problem!!

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My recent (2/4) model PT-425 bent the pivot assembly about 1/4" out of alignment where the right and left sleeves are welded to the pivoting plates. It does not look broken or cracked, and seems to operate OK, just bent. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So, there is an internal solid pin that runs all the way across from the left arm to the right arm??

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif How is this replaced??

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif How does it come apart??

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif You are using a 4140 replacement?? From where??

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I do not understand where, or what, you reinforced, or how it helps!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bent pivot pin
F,

Be careful (i.e. repair the damage before it gets worse). The pin will probably bend more eventually breaking the sleeve over it.

Internal solid pin - yes, runs from between lift arms

Replacement - Pin welded to lift arms. Cut out welds. Sleeve is one piece with 2 pivots arms welded to it.

4140 - commonly used high strength pin

Reinforcing - I'll take photos by the end of the week and send.

MUCH, MUCH EASIER to learn this one from others and reinforce prior to damage. I hope others take note.

lt

/ Bent pivot pin
p.s.

In case others got the wrong impression. Didn't mean to complain about the PT. It is an excellent machine. Highly able and easily repairable. My opinion hasn't changed. Still highly recommended.

This post is just to help others avoid the same problem. See "PT abuse" thread for more.

I just don't like reinventing the wheel. Waste of time.

lt

/ Bent pivot pin #15  
When I was doing my 8 hr service on my 425 I noticed that grease came out between the two arms that piviot the tilt on mine also. I believe that the sleeve is broken between the two arms and the pin is bent. I took it back to Tazwell today as it is still under warranty. Terry; told me that they would fix it, call back in the middle of next week to check on it. He said that jamming it into the work was what bends that part. I can't remember jamming it into anything. I did unload a coal furnace with it . The furnace weighed 700 lbs , I first unloaded the fire brick and the blower motor and other small items, whick the people that made the furnace said would reduce the weight about 100 lbs. It lifted it without any troouble and set it in place , I don't think that bent it . I also used the minihoe to pull up some small bushes, but Terry said that that didn't do it . He said that it was caused from pushing into the work hard [ like running into the work with the pedal down ] which I haven't been doing because I can't stand the jolt myself so I don't know how it got bent. Terry was real nice about it and said it was no big deal, so far those folk impress me as real down to earth good people to deal with. I asked if they could reinforce it some way I don't recall his answer though, I will let you know how it goes.

/ Bent pivot pin #16  
<font color="green"> I asked if they could reinforce it some way I don't recall his answer though, </font>

That's 'cause, Terry being Terry, he didn't answer. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sedgewood

/ Bent pivot pin #17  
Well I hope this results in an upcoming design change. It's obviously a problem.

/ Bent pivot pin #18  
Just a thought. Do you think PowerTrac changed the design of the pivot pin. The bent/broken pins seem to be on the newer units. The older (or previous design units) which have been thrashed pretty hard have not indicated any problems.

Duane

/ Bent pivot pin #19  
Regarding the picture of the pivot . I have a PT-1445 Is the 2'" shaft that goes through the pivot assembly supposed to welded to the outside arms, or does it float inside the assembly?

/ Bent pivot pin #20  
From the looks of things, there is a shaft that is welded between the lift arms. Then there is a sleeve that is over the shaft that has the curl/dump cylinder linkage attached to the sleeve.

Apparently, they assemble it, then slide the pin through, then weld the outside ends of the pin to the lift arms. It looks like you could get the pin out by grinding off the welds on the outside of each lift arm. Then replace the pin with the stronger steel stock mentioned by the others.

I've beat my machine very hard, so I'll inspect those areas mentioned the next time I wash it. Doesn't look like too hard of a repair if it should happen. Just wondering if I should do a pre-emptive replacement before it happens. NAH! I'll let it ride for now... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif