Bent pivot pin

/ Bent pivot pin #21  
MR, your correct about the layout of the pin. I have had mine welded on both sides and one has split open again. The welder came by today and will re-weld again. Most of my very heavy work is finished for now so will try and make due with the new weld. If all else fails, I will replace the pin and sleeve with heavier stock.
PJ

/ Bent pivot pin #22  

Talked to Terry. He said to ship the Lift Arms to Tazewell as soon as I can, and they would repair it.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bent pivot pin
Toy,

Terry told me the same thing about what caused my break, but I don't do that type of ramming motion. I don't think that cause he stated is correct. Wouldn't seem to produce enough of the compression force nec to do the damage. Seems like the damage would possibly occur

1) with the mini hoe fully extended and pushing down? (maybe not?) or even more likely
2) with the hoe up and retracted and reversing the pt with the bucket hooked on an ridgid item like a rock or stump

I'll eliminate #1 myself. I think it is #2

lt

/ Bent pivot pin
mr,

Description - exactly correct

Pin WELDED to lift arms - poor design but probably a cost measure so understandable. If pin was "Pinned" to lift arms, Piece of cake to replace unless damage already occured.

If pin is already bent and/or sleeve broken, replacement of pin is not that easy to do. Pin must be cut out not only from lift arms but also from sleeve as it will not slide out of sleeve anymore. Not that fast of a repair.

Regarding rewelding a cracked sleeve, see my following response to pj.

Consider a reinforcement like mentioned before. 10x easier

lt

/ Bent pivot pin
pj,

Sorry to not reply earlier regarding your post of rewelding the cracked sleeve. I got tied up.

I did notice the flaw in your repair description. The rewelding just repairs the damage done. However, the problem doesn't go away. It just moves the location where the next crack will occur outside of the reinforced weld area.

Agree, best bet to replace pin and sleeve.

Just a thought, as a second best option, consider reinforcing the pivot arms together distribute the load to the sleeve and pin more evenly.

lt

/ Bent pivot pin #26  
It looks like everyone with damage to the pivot pin is a mini hoe user. Anyone not own a minihoe that has the problem?

/ Bent pivot pin #27  
After following this thread for awhile, yesterday I went out to the shop and took a careful look at the pivot area. I don't see any sign of a problem, incipient or otherwise. I don't own a mini-hoe, but have been thinking about getting one.

Now I'm not so sure.

SnowRidge

/ Bent pivot pin #28  
Further thought. When we took the service training from Terry, I recall him mentioning how critical it was to grease that pivot point. He then said something like, "That part of the machine has more stress on it than any other part." He mentioned there had been some failures, and I think they had one in for repair at the time.

I believe he indicated that owners not following the lubrication schedule was the primary cause of the failures.

SnowRidge

/ Bent pivot pin #29  
I always grease everything at 8 hours or less. The pivot pin get grease until I see it coming out the ends. My guess is it isn't the grease, but the force on that area. Could be the weakest link, so to speak.

/ Bent pivot pin #30  
I took mine in last thursday with a bent pin I beleive it was the 29 of April. I hope he was not refering to mine as not being serviced regular. Since the 8 hr service only takes a few minutes I service mineeven more regular than the 8 hr schedule, but I also always service at the 8hr interval to make sure that I don't go over I want my machine to last a long time and am a fanatic about servicing it.. Mine only has 88 hrs on it, and I have had to change the oil and oil filters once.