The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
MKane, thanks I'll check with him on the Hemlock.

Another thought, I have a buddie living in Tyler TX where my first house still stands down on Lake Palestine. I am going to send him over there & see if the owner will let him do a quick "inspection". It's 28years old & I bult it out of SYP, butt & pass....almost identical to this one I am starting now. It would be nice to know what I did right and wrong before I do it all again. Then again, if it was all wrong, he may get a shotgun shoved in his face:cool:.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #112  
The un-finished project is back on track. After inventorying all available trees I came to the conclusion that I would be woefully short. At the beginning of last winter I began to contact loggers in my area to buy raw cedar logs. It was the most frustrating experience I have had in a long time. You would think in this type of economy folks would want to sell you something. After numerous pjone calls and a local add in the paper I talked to (4) different loggers. All said, "yep we have them or can get them", so a price was agreed on and then I waited and waited. 3 of them just never called me back and didn't answer my calls.

The last one was supposed to deliver logs in april/may & I had agreed to pay $1.87 a linear foot for 10' or better logs. I called him 2 months ago and he said, "Oh yes, we are working on it".....????:confused:

So I had enough and started calling cedar log home companies in TN. My first price for finished logs was over $10K, the second price was Western Red Cedar @ just under $20K. Then something great happened....I found a Mill that specializes in ERC....they have milled 6x6" cants 8' long for $20 ea. These are exactly what I am cutting on my mill, rough cut full 6" by 6", so I bought 300 of them. I think $6K for milled logs is a great price:D. My local tractor dealer has an 18 wheeler, so I am lining that up to go get them(200 miles away). So it turns out that these milled logs are not much more than the raw logs I had agreed to by locally.

I need to get my block filled and pour the basement slab & we start on that in about 2 weeks. I am off to order my 30' trusses which will be made here in my county by a local truss company.

I feels good to get the ball rolling after two years:thumbsup::cool2:

Man I hope I don't have that much trouble. I'm building a butt and pass log home and hope to get 20-24 inch logs, 40 to 50 feet long. About 60 ought to do it.

Good grief Bo, how are you going to move them around? I put a 26' 24" Jack pine on the mill and it took three of us to roll it over. I am guessin it was 2K lbs. Your logs are going to weigh around 5K.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #114  
Good grief Bo, how are you going to move them around? I put a 26' 24" Jack pine on the mill and it took three of us to roll it over. I am guessin it was 2K lbs. Your logs are going to weigh around 5K.

Ta daaaa

Attachments

• CAT.jpg
    CAT.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 463

Oh, man...now I'm jealous. Don't ask me how I'm getting my rafters set....I have no idea yet. Most likely I will have to hire a small crane. I am not looking forward to hanging them, or the tin roof on a 12/12 pitched roof 30' off the ground.

I just got a ball park quote on the trusses:

28 free span trusses- 30' 2x4&24" tall floor trusses- $2500

I'm going with 16" on center as opposed to the normal 24"...I don't like the bouncy deflection I have felt in other houses.

Moved 140 tons of fill up to the house site. I used the Kioti to backfill the foundation and build a turn around for the cement trucks.

I ran into my neighbor who is a logger...said he is on a property that has Hemlock......he is supposed to bring me a load of 16"x25' logs soon....:)

Now for the first snag. I juat talked to a guy who just started his house here in my county. The county just implemented a "Building Permit"( a two letter four letter word) stating that the state of TN was going to mandate it anyhow. One of the reasons I moved here is because there were no permits. Anyway, the guy said he was told that sawmill lumber is not allowed under the permit at all.....:confused: Sooo, next week I guess I will have to go see the Mayor and find out what the scoop is....{sigh}

/ The Log house Project begins........ #117  
Moved 140 tons of fill up to the house site. I used the Kioti to backfill the foundation and build a turn around for the cement trucks.

I ran into my neighbor who is a logger...said he is on a property that has Hemlock......he is supposed to bring me a load of 16"x25' logs soon....:)

Now for the first snag. I juat talked to a guy who just started his house here in my county. The county just implemented a "Building Permit"( a two letter four letter word) stating that the state of TN was going to mandate it anyhow. One of the reasons I moved here is because there were no permits. Anyway, the guy said he was told that sawmill lumber is not allowed under the permit at all.....:confused: Sooo, next week I guess I will have to go see the Mayor and find out what the scoop is....{sigh}

MotorSeven,
I just read this thread all the way through. I do like it all.:thumbsup: How about some photos of the mill?
I am anxious to see more photos:drool: as my retirement place will be a log house. So I keep looking for ideas.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #118  

Ahhh....so let the games begin.....:( .....always a snag. or 10. I would also be interested in seeing your mill, I'm thinking about doing the same thing down the road with some property I have out west. Only thing is some of the logs are HUGE, big cedar and douglas fir.....whats the biggest log you can run on your mill?

Frank

Frank, the LT15 can handle a 28" log. But.....I keep in mind it's a all manual mill, so the logs have to be turned by hand(Cant hook) and a big long log is a chore to turn. The biggest I have had on my mill was a 25' Jack pine that was 22" on the small end...it took 3 of us to turn it.
If you are going to be using a lot of large long logs, get a mill that has a hyd log turner and save on the hernia surgerys.......

Bin, here are some shots of the mill and that big pine log I was talking about(it got made into barn wood for a different thread):

Polebarnzilla004-1.jpg

Polebarnzilla006-1.jpg

Polebarnzilla007.jpg

Polebarnzilla009.jpg