The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
Negative...I am a Gutter Hater.....for you Canucks that would be an Eaves Trough Hater:laughing:

Robert, you are right. Most new tin is Galvalume, so it reacts with PT. Might have to stick some 30 weight tar paper between the two so they don't fight.

I have a question ref slab insulation. Can I/should I put Hd foam board under the basement slab? My concrete guy does not like the idea if I am parking a car on it. What do ya'll think?

/ The Log house Project begins........ #494  
I don't think the foam board under the slab is necessary in this climate.

I don't think the foam board under the slab is necessary in this climate.

I did some reading last night. You may be right as some say it will actually keep the basement warmer in the summer. With a 100,000 btu Soapstone in the basement running all winter, not sure foam would help at all. Now a spray on foam on the walls might be a different matter.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #496  
If you want to do something search on how they insulate the edge of slabs with 2 pieces of foam sheeting. I haven't looked into it closely yet but will probably do my slab that way in a colder climate.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #497  
Now a spray on foam on the walls might be a different matter.

An alternative would be a furred out wall with one inch HD blue board and some kind of finish wallboard. (paneling cedar boards etc)

/ The Log house Project begins........ #498  
I would use insulation and vapor barrier under the slab. Can you get over 4" thick were you are parking? Use rebar on chairs min 24" square pattern. The slab would then act like a heatshink with your heat souce on top.

Dave

/ The Log house Project begins........ #499  
Hi M7

When I got the cabin in western N C the basement floor was dirt, and over the years the dampness was creating mold and I could see the beginning of problems...

I cleared all the mould out with copper naphnate (sp) which in the enclosed area almost did me in---I was young then--but it did scare me.....I then got the person who built the house to put a plastic liner down and then he got a cememnt finishing company and they poured the floor.....Over the years , on heavy downpours, some water got down there, but luckily it mostly drained out through the crack between the foundation wall and the cement floor...The barrier cut down tremendously the dampness, so with your setup I don`t think you need anything other than the barrier.....Tony

/ The Log house Project begins........ #500  
When we built our house our contractor just put a vapor barrier under the slab. We then insulated the walls of the basement before we finished them. It has always kept a reasonable temperature down there. I would not worry about insulating under the slab. Heat rises and the ground temperature at that depth is well above freezing. Perimeter insulation around the garage would keep cold from coming in on that edge. Your house is really looking good.
Rick