An Old Goat Ranch in Texas

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas
Can You See The LIGHT?!
(The Father / Daughter Dance Redux)

By the time Precious Dafter and I rolled up to the Jubilee Feed Store, Tire Center and Hair Care Emporium (We Rent Stuff Too), John the Goat Guy And Master of all things Mechanical was already holding Court on the Bench of Wisdom out front ...

A few moments chatting with John are always worth it ... he is a certified Character with a capital "C"...

At first sight, John looks like he should be playing guitar for "ZZ Top" ... a long grizzled gray beard and shaggy head of the same color hair frame a face covered in a weather-beaten hide that has crinkled permanently along the laugh lines, as if John's good nature needed a permanent advertisement there.... it makes him seem ready to bust out laughing at any moment which, in fact he IS.... his eyes sparkle with the light of someone adept at mischief in all it's forms ...

I love swapping stories with John The man is a good time looking for a place to happen....

John's pasture shares a short piece of fence with The Old Goat Ranch, and his house and shop are a stones throw down the road between TOGR and MIL and FIL's house ...

The front of Johns roadside pasture houses the finest collection of rusty old agricultural equipment and tractor implements in the county ... and after coffee and "Court" each morning he can generally be found tinkering a piece of equipment or some old truck back to a useful life on the driveway in
front of his cramped little shop ... if anyone cares to question his abilities a beautifully restored Ford model A sedan sits in the driveway on the other side of the neat little house ... and the vintage pickup he runs around town in is a perfect match to the driver.... lots of miles but lots of character too....

In another life John was a mechanical engineer of vast experience and skill ... now he is enjoying the fruits of a life of "High Pay, Travel and Adventure" and loving every minute of it ...

I want to be just like John when I grow up....

Our work out at the Ranch has been an endless source of entertainment for him and he is delighted / horrified that someone else in the area wants to run meat goats ... he HATES them ... but they provide him a modest income and hate 'em or not, his place is awash in plump, happy, healthy goats ...

....apparently his dim view of all things caprine has resulted in a constant baby-boom amongst his herd .... just to spite him...

The kids and many of the adult goats think that the farm equipment museum in his front pasture was placed there just for them to play on and can be found scampering over the stuff constantly.

After giving a progress report to John, who nodded approvingly and gave his usual grinning encouragement, I went in to the Store and let the Boss know I was ready to load up the trencher I had reserved the other day.

I walked out back to the shop building just as the yard-guy finished checking the oil and gas and pulled the starter cord....

....and slung parts all over the driveway as the starter housing ripped off the engine and spewed springs and bolts at the two of us in defiance....

Yard-Man said ... "Gee ... it worked just fine the other day ... "

I refrained from offering any comment at that point and settled for banging my head briskly against a nearby telephone pole ...

Well as I said before, I wasn't in a rush since I have no inspectors or contractors waiting, so I told the man to see what he could do to fix the thing as I went back into the Store to get a cup of coffee and let Precious Dafter know what was happening....

PD was decidedly un-impressed with the whole situation ... "Wow...this ranching stuff is FUN...!" sez she ...

I said something philosophical about how all mechanical things are destined to break while in my care and we talked for a while about not getting too emotional about these minor setbacks (after I covered up the lump on my forehead with a ball cap....)

I was fired up by the coffee and a sudden headache and wanted to keep an eye on Yard-Guy, and PD was content to snooze in the truck while I kept vigil over the repairs ... so I trotted back to the yard to "supervise"...

Yard-Guy gave it an honest try, but the starter was Null and Void with the main spring broken. But the wisdom of the Briggs and Stratton engineers being what it is, the hub left on the engine had an angled notch built into it ... designed for a manual pull-rope ... which, once Yard-Guy rounded up a piece of strong cord, started the engine up without a problem.

He did salvage the handle from the former starter cord .... so that was SOMETHING, I suppose....

So ... I survived disturbing PD's nap, and we drove around to the yard and loaded the trencher up ....

Out at TOGR the trencher started up again with no problem ... we got it unloaded without incident and then proceeded to lay out the wire ... my first try at pulling the spool with a chain thru the center was a bust ... the wire spooling out from near the center of the heavy spool, in effect produced a continuously variable transmission that wanted to accelerate the rim of the spool ... not fun on the dry earth ... and worse, this threatened to kink the cable....pushing the spool by hand was not much better .... so PD and I ran the tractor out to Machinery Row, dropped the rake and put the forks on ...

...she is getting GOOD at spotting that tractor on the implements ....

....and with an old fence post thru the spool as an axle, we lifted the spool clear of the ground and soon had the wire all laid out ....

Precious Bride already has her eye on that spool for some sort of Hippie plant stand, so I will have to hide my new portable work-bench behind the barn for a while....

I started up the trencher, waltzed it over to the corner of the barn and lowered the boom slowly into the ground ...

And that's where the progress on this job pretty much ended ....

Despite the sandy clay in this part of the Ranch being as dry and hard as a fire-brick, the trencher made short work of it, grinding thru the gravel pad at the barn and the hard earth beneath it and left a nice fine fill in its wake .... but barely a few inches below the surface a tangled mat of live roots as thick as my index finger and running almost a foot deep began to wrap themselves around the chain and drag it to a halt ....

I tried everything I could think of.... I went so slowly you could barely see the machine move, hoping the chain would grind the roots up .... I made multiple cuts, each a bit deeper than the last .... but no matter .... the smaller roots either stopped the chain entirely and killed the engine, or the larger one just laughed at the chains attempts to cut thru them and the machine would just sit there with the wheels spinning ...

Foo ...

After an hour of thrashing around and having barely 20 feet of trench to show for it, I decided to call it quits ... and after consultations with Precious Dafter, we decided to go to with the Alternate Plan ....

We loaded the trencher up and returned it to the Jubilee Feed Store, Tire Center and Hair Care Emporium (We Rent Stuff Too), and to their everlasting credit, they returned my full rental fee ... "Gee ... it worked just fine the other day ... "

Uh HUH....

So .... we spun by Good Neighbor Joe and borrowed his utility trailer (its GOOD to have neighbors!!) and headed off in the direction of College Station and my good friends at the Big Rental Yard ...

Precious Dafter said Joe was mumbling something about a wrench and breaking anvils with tack-hammers as we left ....

On the phone, Rental-Dude said he had just the thing .... a new hydraulic walk-behind machine with a 36" boom that sits on a pair of rubber tracks that you drive dozer-style ... and sporting a new chain with carbide inserts on the teeth for rocky ground .... all at popular prices....

Ok ... we'll give it a try ...

When we rolled up, the machine was waiting for us, and was as advertised ... the yard-crew had it loaded up on the trailer before I could get back from the office.

Tho I would have preferred to keep my trade local, if you have to go outside of the "Family", this is the way to do it ...

We drove back to TOGR and got unloaded ....

.... and the news was no better than before ...

Despite a more powerful engine and hydraulic drive, the new teeth and the rubber tracks, this machine did no better than the older mechanical beastie... the small roots still dragged the chain to a dead stop and the rubber tracks apparently worked against any progress thru the heavier stuff, as the lower ground pressure made them more prone to spinning than the wheels were ...

A second hour-long beating and I had another 20 feet of trench completed....

DOUBLE FOO....

So ... PD and I sat on the tail-gate for a water-break and took a moment to reflect on our predicament ... noted that the sky was clouding up for rains that were predicted to start any moment .... took stock of our options ... and seeing how our Primary Plan and Alternate Plan had been shot to pieces, it was time to deploy the Escape and Evasion Plan ...

I wonder where she learned to SWEAR like that ... must take after her Mother ...

We loaded up the now disgraced trencher and headed back to the Big Rental House ... it began to rain a few drops on us as we pulled into the yard, where the crew sprang into action again and had the machine unloaded before I could get back from the office ....

I walked around the yard with Yard-Dude and looked over their trencher fleet ... the five foot behemoth I had rented for the primary electrical conduit was slated to rent the next day, so it was out .... but they had two smaller ride-on units that were it's just a little lighter but equal in horsepower to The Big One, just a shorter boom at 48" ... half the price of the The Big One for a days rental and at 5,000 pounds I can haul it on my trailer and save $150 on the delivery fee ... so I put it on reserve for the day after Christmas ....

Apparently my micro-account is so good with these folks they did not require any cash or card up front and they only charged me for the few hours out on the small machine instead of a full day too ...

I need to get these guys more donuts ....

It was sprinkling lightly as PD and I left the Big Rental Yard and headed back to the Ranch ... we got a bite to eat on the way and mused over all the FUN we are having Ranching....

We spent a lot of time on the subject of "How To Know When To Stop Banging Your Head On The Telephone Pole...."

Yep ... someday Kid, all this'll be yours ...

We dropped off Good Neighbor Joe's trailer and made our "Thank You Neigbor" to a kind and generous man...

PD said Joe was now mumbling something about miracles happening every day, apparently in reference to getting his trailer back in one piece ....

Once back at TOGR I decided it would be best to roll up the cable and lock it up for the few days hiatus ... some of my less prosperous and more environmentally aware neighbors might not be able to stand the sight of all that recyclable aluminum laying around and removing temptation from the scene seemed a better option than me purchasing the rest of that reel of cable at the Big Supply House ...

PD expressed some trepidation at the thought of spooling the stuff back up, but I showed her a couple of tricks I learned backintheday while working with heavy cables on the dredges....

The kid is not at all afraid of hard work, but like her Dad, she feels there is no sense getting too emotional about it if you don't REALLY have to...

Like we said back in the old neighborhood...."If it ain't choking, bleeding or on FIRE, it ain't an emergency..."

We soon had a nice neat 6 foot coil wrapped up with baling wire, backed the tractor up to it and then tipped it up onto the box blade for easy transport

..... I should be able to drop it back on the ground right where we spooled it up in the corner and pull each end back out to its starting point .... by hand this time.....the plastic cover on this cable is slick as youknowwhatonadoorknob and slides easily over the ground ...and since I will be on my own on the return trip, so this will be a Good Thing ...

PD backed the tractor with the cable into the container like she'd been driving it for years and I had just snapped the lock on the door as the rain started falling in earnest ...

We skipped schmoozing the Pasture Posse ... Pancho was quiet and I could only imagine the mob were probably huddled up under a loafing shed or the trees... so we locked up and headed back to MIL and FIL's to clean up, have some supper and break camp.

It rained fairly heavily overnight, so breakfast was a more leisurely affair, and we said our goodbyes to the Grandparents then headed south soon after....

Precious Dafter and I took our usual route thru the countryside...she is as bad as me and her mother about taking back roads whenever possible....We talked about how the scenery was just as enjoyable under winter cover as it is during wildflower season ....

Yep....I like this Kid....she takes after her Mother....

It was a nice ride home, raining off and on throughout the trip, but otherwise no problems....as slow as I drive I am in no danger of losing control on a slick road ... my meandering pace drives the Girls MAD ....

We talked over all that had transpired and it turns out that Precious Dafter is a bit of a philosopher in her own right ... PD figured it was better in the long run that things went all wonky like they did, so she doesn't get any rosy visions of the whole "Adventures In Ranching" thing ....

Well....this trip was certainly a heck of a good lesson that is best summed up by one of my old Chiefs favorite adages ...

"When you find yourself in a hole, it is best to stop digging...."

We got home in good order, and after putting up my gear and having a Quality Moment with Precious Bride, I put some rib-bones PD and I saved from our lunch the other day to use thrilling our little Dog Pack ...

As far as the Pack is concerned I am their large and strangely furred Alpha Dog who goes off on long hunts and brings them pieces of my exotic kills ....

...or something like that anyway ...But I now have a responsibility to provide some dainty for the Pack at each return or risk their scorn....

"Dottie" AKA "The Grand Old Lady", is a Beagle / Jack Russell mix and frequently referred to by various nick-names such as "The Two Thousand Year-Old Dog" due to her advanced age, "The Indian Weather Dog" or "The Vibra-Hound" for her ability to predict weather changes by getting all weird when rain is headed our way ... she is as dumb as a bag of walnuts, but endlessly sweet natured...we got her and a long deceased littermate from the local SPCA when the Kids were young and rough and we sought durability rather than intellect in our pets ....

The older of the two Corgi's is "Fox", the product of champion parents and a fine example of the best temperament of her kind...she is a willful and intelligent dog that definitely knows anf follows the rules and is not afraid to enforce them if need be ... a creature who likes conformity, don't move anything in the house or backyard without her foreknowledge or you risk having to spend time explaining yourself to "The Dog of Law"...

Tho a runt and a dwarf with even shorter legs than is usual for her breed. she is fast as lightning and her favorite game is herding the other dogs or any people she can get to comply. She will greet you at the door with her favorite "Fetch" toy as soon as she has you trained properly...

Fox was supposed to be destroyed as a pup due to her dual status as runt/dwarf, but her owner at the time was quite ill herself, and could not bear to kill such an engaging little dog...

Fox will become the dominant dog on the Grand Old Lady's passing ...

Last and youngest but not least is "Stella", another Corgi who was adopted from the Harris County Animal Control shelter in Houston .... the Vet who spayed her said that for as young a dog as she was, to have as much internal scarring and bowed legs, she might have been a "Puppy Mill" dam who spent her life in a cage until she was either tossed out or escaped to be picked up on the street.....this dog took a lot of work on the Girls part to change her from a cowering bundle of shot nerves to the happy dog she is today....if all else fails the Girls can get into Heaven solely on that work alone....

Stella is now a happy and outgoing dog, but where Fox is pushy and domineering, Stella is gentle and submissive....that is until it is time to play "Chase / Herd" with Fox, when Stella delights in outrunning and outgunning the fatter, slower dog at every turn....if you are out in the yard with them all you have to do to set off the game is holler "RUN STELLA, RUN!!!!" and the fight is on....

Considering that the little dog probably spent a good part of her life in a small cage, the complete and utter JOY she shows in racing around the yard, bobbing and weaving as she avoids Fox is that much more poignant....

After the traditional Happy Dance, the Pack lined up for their goodies.....those nice soft pork ribs didn't last long....and I thought I could actually see Dottie smiling as she licked the last bit of grease off the floor as she and the Corgi's nose-patrolled for any stray pork-flavored molecules....

Precious Dafter was already headed out the door to spend a little Quality Time with her Chums and no doubt regale them at length with stories of her adventures...

... the Boy was deep into an online game and it seemed like a pretty good evening for Precious Bride and myself to share a glass or two of vino on the couch (...once we kick the Pack off of it....)

After a less than wildly productive trip, things were once again spinning in Greased Grooves ....:D

Attachments

• Old Trencher.JPG
    Old Trencher.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Laying Out Cable.JPG
    Laying Out Cable.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 303
Can You See The LIGHT?!
The Light at the End of the Tunnel -

Holidays at home are a GOOD THING...

Now this is not to say that I have not had some lovely holidays overseas....you will never view a holiday quite the same way until you spend one in a war zone or a ship at sea...but having your friends and family close at hand is WAAAAAAY BETTER...

As usual, I made most of the gifts I gave for Christmas....I baked lots of bread and my famous buttermilk pies, 'cause, as Marcel Johnson used to say, "...NOBODY DON"T LIKE PIE...."

The feasts were feasted and glasses hoisted, and eventually it was time to get back to work...

Monday started early....a quick "Goodbye" cup of coffee with Precious Bride and I loaded up and inland to College Station and the Big Rental Yard.

I rolled into the yard and the Yard Dudes fixed me up with the yellow trencher I had chosen, and after the requisite 5 minute "Dummies" operator class I was on my way to The Old Goat Ranch, arriving before just before noon...and after checking in with MIL and FIL I got on with it....

Unloading the Vermeer trencher was a snap....it is a very responsive and easy to control machine....I parked it by the Barn and got the Little Green Giant out of the shed....carefully packing the cable away was definitely the Right Thing To Do, and I had the cable unloaded and strung out in just a few minutes....

So it was now or never....

The Vermeer was a little too wide to follow the same path near the barn as the walk-behind trenchers, so I eased up between the trees as best I could and lowered the boom into the earth....

It was like cutting thru peanut butter.... :D

In a little over one hour, I had cut the entire length of the trench between the barn and the meter pole, by mid afternoon, all of the cable was resting at the bottom of the trench. I even remember to lace a length of conduit over the section that will run under the water line crossing....Precious Dafter will be proud....

Mounting the breaker box at the Barn and making the hook-ups came next, but it went as smoothly as the digging had, I had the Barn panel hooked up and the connection at the meter pole done with plenty of time to left over to return the trencher to the Big Rental House....

I plugged one of our $5,000 light-bulbs in to the outlet at the Barn and threw the breakers....

....and stepped back to admire the glow....

NICE....!!! :cool2:

I emailed a grainy cellphone photo of this small triumph to MIL & FIL, Precious Bride, Precious Dafter,Good Neighbor Joe and the Associated Press in celebration...

Precious Bride replied.... "Great! Now turn the **** thing OFF we have to save money..."

A perfect Ranch Wife....the woman is so cheap she makes me take my glasses off when I'm not looking at anything....

Right, no more time to stand around too long and bask in the glory, I had to get the trencher back to the Big Rental House....

As the boys in the Yard unloaded the trencher, one of them made a snarky comment about not having anything to fix this time....I promised to break something expensive next time thru...and wouldn't you know it....while unloading, they bent one of my trailer ramps...

HAH! About darned time somebody BESIDES ME broke something.....!

But these things are to be expected....at least while I'm around, anyway....so we flipped the ramp over on the concrete, backed the machine over it a few times and pretty well beat it back straight enough to slide into it's storage pocket, and we all got a good laugh out of it....

Good guys here....they need more donuts....

I beat it back to MIL and FIL's in time for a small victory supper....in recognition of this milestone on the road to becoming a Ranch....

The next morning was chilly and it seemed the fog hung on longer than usual....

The driveway at the ranch was a sea of white, churned into a swirling mass as my truck passed thru....I could see the Christmas lights on the meter pole as I rounded the turn into the house / barn clearing.....and saw that doe who kept me company all summer!

She didn't stick around for any lengthy visit....in a flash of white, she was gone...curls of mist marking her passage into the brush.....but it's nice to see she has survived the hunting season so far....I am hoping to enjoy her and her fawns again this spring....

Backfilling the trench was a cinch with the york rake....pushing half of the fill into the trench required less time than it took to lay the warning tape, which had to be pushed down thru all those danged roots with a hoe....but all in all, it was no big thing....and with the trench full and smoothed out, I can call this part of the Plan officially DONE....

The next big step the Plan is the water main....and with all I've learned about underground utilities thus far, I can guarrantee you one thing....NO MORE SMALL TRENCHERS.....Like the man said, We are GOING BIG or GOING HOME....

We are going to lay back and save up some cash for a couple of months....my preliminary estimate for the water main supplies is about $2,000, so add a contingency of $1,000 to that....and considering that it is getting a little wet up at the Ranch, this is a good time to tackle a few smaller projects and bank the financial fires until Spring.

And I have a few projects in mind...

Somebody mentioned the "Comfort Triad" a while back....WELLLLL.....I have just the thing....

T :D

Sorry about the lack of photos, Friends...

It looks like the Gnet Gnomes are at it again here in West Africa, and the photos seem to get stripped off of anything going thru our servers...

Hmmmmm......:mad:

I'll just have to post them when I get home...

T

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #194  
Terry, I've had 2 different buddies telling me of getting things made of metal stolen off their properties lately. 1 was in Robertson county and the other was over near Mumford (other side of Bryan from you).

Good thing you got neighbor Joe. Good neighbors are priceless.:thumbsup:

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #195  
Terry, there are lights that go off and then there are blinding flashes. I think your eureka moment with the big trencher was one of those thermo-nuclear brighter than day flashes.:D I can tell you that when it comes to trenchers, I've always found that to go as big as you can afford is the way to go. I've found that to be true with many other things too, but I'll spare you the embarrassing details and long windy story.;) I'll just say,"Great job!" and be done with it.:thumbsup:

Terry, I've had 2 different buddies telling me of getting things made of metal stolen off their properties lately. 1 was in Robertson county and the other was over near Mumford (other side of Bryan from you).

Good thing you got neighbor Joe. Good neighbors are priceless.:thumbsup:

Boy....you ain't KIDDING about the value of a good neighbor...

And what absolute Gems I have around me..."Good Neighbor Joe", "John the Goat Guy and Master of All Things Mechanical" and "Old Bob Cole - A Merry Old Soul"

As fine a group of folks as you could ever want...really helping us along on this project any way they can...

I pity the miscreant that runs afoul of any of them....

But the thieves aren't just working the countryside...the small city I currently call home has a serious problem with punks stealing copper and aluminum....to the point where they are stealing lawn furniture, ripping gutters, downspouts and siding off unoccupied houses and even ripping LIVE ELECTRICAL FEEDERS out of commercial buildings...

Lake Jackson Copper Theft Spree - KIAH

Even with copper going for $2.50 a pound you have GOT to be Nuts to going tinkering with a live service....

Just one more reason the head "up-dah-country"....

See you there! :D

Terry, there are lights that go off and then there are blinding flashes. I think your eureka moment with the big trencher was one of those thermo-nuclear brighter than day flashes.:D I can tell you that when it comes to trenchers, I've always found that to go as big as you can afford is the way to go. I've found that to be true with many other things too, but I'll spare you the embarrassing details and long windy story.;) I'll just say,"Great job!" and be done with it.:thumbsup:

The poets refer to those moments as "Epiphanies"....

I prefer to call them "PTF" episodes..."Palm to Forehead"...

I have no doubt that as the projects continue, there will be more of those...it's the price you pay to attend the College of Hard Knocks...

So....full 'net service is up today....for now at least....

I know the rules....here are the photos from the last post....

Attachments

• IMGP0132.JPG
    IMGP0132.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMGP0133.JPG
    IMGP0133.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMGP0134.JPG
    IMGP0134.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMGP0135.JPG
    IMGP0135.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMGP0146.JPG
    IMGP0146.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMGP0145.JPG
    IMGP0145.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMGP0144.JPG
    IMGP0144.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMGP0143.JPG
    IMGP0143.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMGP0147.JPG
    IMGP0147.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMGP0148.JPG
    IMGP0148.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMGP0149.JPG
    IMGP0149.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMGP0150.JPG
    IMGP0150.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMGP0153.JPG
    IMGP0153.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 199
   / An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #199  
Nice photos Terry. That trencher really did a great job and that sand looks like powder. I'd bet my next paycheck that those two trees in the first picture with the trench on each side will be a little stressed next year. I 2-sided a big postoak about 10 feet away with a trencher, and it was never the same after that. I ended up having to take it out last year because it was shedding big dead limbs over my driveway. I figured it was only a matter of time until one ended up on top of my car.:eek:

Nice photos Terry. That trencher really did a great job and that sand looks like powder. I'd bet my next paycheck that those two trees in the first picture with the trench on each side will be a little stressed next year. I 2-sided a big postoak about 10 feet away with a trencher, and it was never the same after that. I ended up having to take it out last year because it was shedding big dead limbs over my driveway. I figured it was only a matter of time until one ended up on top of my car.:eek:

Thanks J-man, I wish I had the time and effort back that the extra couple of hundred bucks on that job could have bought...

I am getting TOO OLD fer this stuff!!!:confused2:

I agree with you on those trees....come spring I'll give em a dose of fish emulsion at the dripline and hope for the best....they shade an area that I want to fence in as a "night pen" for the livestock so it would be a shame to lose them...

T -