Garage Vehicle lift

/ Garage Vehicle lift #1  

mark1

Gold Member
Tractor
Jinma 284,Jd GT235,345,Trac-Vac1080
Hi, Anyone had any experience purchasing and installing a lift, 2 post or 4 post in their garage?
Everytime I have one of my vehicles serviced I end up wishing I did it myself.I used to do just about everything myself but the last few years I find I'm usually to busy and have it done, just to find I need to finish it anyway, I have a very big garage (34x56) Just the floor is in need of repair, And getting on the floor jacking vehicles is no longer my favorite thing to do. I have hinted to my wife I needed to install a lift and she is OK with that. So what do you guys think? How do you anchor a 2 post? Symentrical or Asymetrical is best? how about 4 post? I just have a Buick and a Hyundai and a Silverado pickup so I would think 7-9000 lbs would do?

/ Garage Vehicle lift #2  
I have a 2 post Challenger 9000 lift (made in USA). The lift you buy should be Certified. You will need a good floor to anchor to. If your floor is only 3-4" it won't work. Have a professional assess and perform your installation. Since your floor needs repair have it repaired / replaced so it will support a lift. Check your local shops to see the brand of lifts they use and where to get them. Mine was installed for about $400. It is anchored to the floor with 8" long x 3/4" dia. anchor bolts. Most 2 posts sell in the $3-4000 range with Chinese lifts cheaper. I like the 2 post better than a 4 post drive on since everything is open underneath to change wheels for brake jobs etc. There are also 2 and 4 posts that are on wheels that can be moved around but I can't speak for them never having seen one.

/ Garage Vehicle lift #3  
A friend just bought a used scissors lift last week...looks much like this one and is rated @ 12,000 # capacity. He only paid $2100 for it delivered and it came with two lift tables. Needless to say it doesn't have the shiny on it anymore, but it was still certified when the dealership decided to upgrade.

Scissor lifts are nicer IMHO because you drive on them and lift the vehicle by the tires...no chance of a vehicle sliding off the side of them because of a lifting pad slipping. They are also inherently stable and simply sit on the floor, unlike a two poster which the manufactures have a spec for the concrete pad that they set on and are bolted down to. This pad is an absolute necessity with two posters. Four posters would also be inherently stable of course.

The drive on ramps can also serve as an infinitely adjustable-height work bench which can be advantageous at times and can also be used as a lift to transfer moderately heavy loads, something that can be manhandled on the level but too heavy to lift by hand such as a barrel of oil for example, from a truck box to the ground and vice versa. New these things are expensive but prices on used ones are reasonable.

rx40_lge.jpg

/ Garage Vehicle lift #5  
Bought used 2 and a 4 post lift. Installed them myself. Check out all the web sites for concrete floor requirements. Pictures of
install on my site. Each of them serves a different purpose.

/ Garage Vehicle lift #6  
Last summer I bought a 2 post BendPak lift. It's the type that's connected on the top. Over all I would say it's a good lift. I'm much more willing to do work on cars (change oil, rotate tires, etc.) than before. Not too hard to install. But I don't think I would install one on cracked cement.

I like the two post lift. It allows you to work on the wheels easily (think brake pads, tire rotation, shocks/ struts, ball joints, half shafts, wheel bearings, etc.). I bought a couple of Harbor freight adjustable jack stands to go with it (had to paint the horrible orange color blue to match the lift). I've used them to support a rear axle when changing leaf springs and to give the car more support when doing work where I'm pushing up or pulling down hard on the car. A cheap form of safety.

/ Garage Vehicle lift #7  
Hi, Anyone had any experience purchasing and installing a lift, 2 post or 4 post in their garage?
Everytime I have one of my vehicles serviced I end up wishing I did it myself.I used to do just about everything myself but the last few years I find I'm usually to busy and have it done, just to find I need to finish it anyway, I have a very big garage (34x56) Just the floor is in need of repair, And getting on the floor jacking vehicles is no longer my favorite thing to do. I have hinted to my wife I needed to install a lift and she is OK with that. So what do you guys think? How do you anchor a 2 post? Symentrical or Asymetrical is best? how about 4 post? I just have a Buick and a Hyundai and a Silverado pickup so I would think 7-9000 lbs would do?

The size of the garage is not important as the height in your choice. You can even install them outside of a garage. I wish I could installe one in mine but I only have a 13' ceiling :( I will have to get an outside lift instead.

/ Garage Vehicle lift #8  
The size of the garage is not important as the height in your choice. You can even install them outside of a garage. I wish I could installe one in mine but I only have a 13' ceiling :( I will have to get an outside lift instead.
If i had a 13' ceiling, I'd have one by now. When i build my garage/shop, i figured a 10 foot ceiling was good, especially for heating in the winter. If i had to build it again, 12 or 14 feet would be my choice.
I would get a 4 post with the center jack, to lift a vehicle off it's wheels, either front or back. Or have 2 center-jacks do do both ends.
With a 4 post hoist, i could keep a car in the air and store another vehicle/ stuff underneath. I could use it for working on my motorcycle/tractor/lawnmower or even use it as a workbench.
I'm not saying that one is better then the other.......a 4 post would be perfect for what i need to do with it.
A AMERICAN made hoist , FOR SURE! (since we don't make any in canada)
The 4 post a friend of mine has is not bolted down. It can be moved around.....another benefit of a 4 post

Last edited:
   / Garage Vehicle lift #10  

A 2 post or 4 post lift may fit in your garage. If you can install the lift where it won't interfere with the garage door 13' is all you need.
My lift is 12'9" to the top but I need space above it for the overhead door. My garage is 14' so I have plenty of room. Check the spec sheets on the lifts. some may be shorter than mine.