keltec 380t

/ keltec 380t #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
normally I carry a sig P230 in .380 as my regular carry gun. when i need discreet carry I have been carrying a keltec 32 using a NFA legal semi-wallet-style holster. I like the small frame.. but know it us undersized as a personal defense round, Recently, keltec came out with a .380 using virtually the same frame as the 32.. my wallet holster fits a bit snug.. but fits.. now my backup gun and carry gun are the saem ammo.. I feel much better about that.

one sacrafice is ammo capacity.. the keltec 380 is like 5+1 ..

I need to get a spare clip for mine.. but the things are so new.. I usually only see 1-2 at shows.. or stores.. and no spare clips.

I've also seen an extended clip that adds 2 rounds to the magazine AND a place for a finger rest.. as most of you know this is a small 'palm' gun, and the average man probably hangs 1 if not 2 fingers off the grip. I'd like to find either a spare oem sized magazine.. or a spare extended mag.

anyone seen them for sale?

thanks

soundguy

/ keltec 380t #3  
Soundguy, I don't want to get into a head bucking contest with you but just to play devils advocate, why are you carrying a .380 as a primary self defence weapon.

I use to be a bit of a gun nut and from what I remember the .380 has pretty dismal ballistics. I personally wouldn't even want a .380 as a back up these days, not that I ever carried 2 guns at once, hardly carry 1 gun anymore.

They make all these small frame 9's now. I have a .380 ppk still like brand, bought it thinking it would make a good carry gun, never liked it, I'm gonna trade it for one of the small frame 9's. your giving up very little as far as concealment goes and gaining alot in stopping power. Kel Tec makes one of the smallest 9's out there.

/ keltec 380t #4  
Soundguy,
We think alike. I carry a Sig 230 as a primary. I also have a Sig 226 for occasional carry or "glove box" backup.

I recently bought the 380 Keltec for times when it must be small enough to fit in a front pocket. I have both the belt clip, a pocket holster, extended mag and a High Noon Holster "Bare Assets" IWB holster.

I don't buy the ".380 is not enough gun" mentality. A .380 is plenty of gun to stop someone within 5 yards. If I had my druthers, I'd carry a full size 10mm, but it's just not practical. The best gun to have if the chips are down and you're in serious trouble, is whatever one you happen to be carrying.

/ keltec 380t #5  
plenty of standard keltec 380 mags around. extended mags may grab clothing upon withdraw- practice the moves....I was a Sig P230 guy for yyears, then downsized to AMT backup .380 with wallet type holster. Still use AMT 380 and their.45 backup regularly. I bought Keltec .380 when introduced due to light weight and a decent wallet rig. Only a few boxes thru my Keltec after 2 associates had their Keltecs fail with broken parts. Factory fixed like new..we heard it was growing pains in their manufacturing, so please test this weapon hard before you rely on it.

/ keltec 380t
I don't carry both at the same time.. I have the p230 for when i have room to carry a medium frame and the keltec for when i really have no good means of concealed carry.

the p232 and p3at are pretty much the thinnes / smallest frame guns in that calibre that I have found. with the wallet holster, these guns literally print slightly rectangular and look like a walled.. slip intot he rear or front pocket all the way, even on short pocket jeans, so someone doesn't see the rear of the gun peeking out.. witht he shape o fthe holsters rounded edges, the draw is smooth.. no catching.. and really.. since most self defense is at close range.. if 6 shots of .380 hydrashock won't stop somebody.. then 9mm ammo likely wouldn't have made that much more of a difference.

I have carry rigs for some 45's.. but I've gotten tired of lugging something that weighs as much as a clay brick around inside my waistband,.. and as the 2nd rule of concealed carry goes.. if it's not comfortable to carry.. you will soon stop carrying it... if I'm accosted in a parking lot with my big strong hard to carry 45 in my car.. then it ain't doing me any good.

heck.. I've got a shoulder carry rig my .50AE fits into.. do I carry it? nooooo and I'm quite sure 1 shot would do it.. even if I just nick them...

I like the features of the sig p230/p232 good gun.. good company.. not too heavy.

the keltec is way light with a composite frame and metalic slide and bbl... weighs a couple more ounces than a wallet of similar size.

soundguy

Soundguy, I don't want to get into a head bucking contest with you but just to play devils advocate, why are you carrying a .380 as a primary self defence weapon.

I use to be a bit of a gun nut and from what I remember the .380 has pretty dismal ballistics. I personally wouldn't even want a .380 as a back up these days, not that I ever carried 2 guns at once, hardly carry 1 gun anymore.

They make all these small frame 9's now. I have a .380 ppk still like brand, bought it thinking it would make a good carry gun, never liked it, I'm gonna trade it for one of the small frame 9's. your giving up very little as far as concealment goes and gaining alot in stopping power. Kel Tec makes one of the smallest 9's out there.

/ keltec 380t
yep... in a knife fight.. I want to be the guy with the 'underpowered' gun. I don't care how much pcp you got in you.. or how big you are .. dot the I's and that's the end of ya.. don't matter if you are andre the giant or van dam.. unless you can do the matrix bullet dance.. the underpowered gun is gonna eat up a soft eye socket/ entrance to central processing unit..

I plan on getting a spare mag.. plus an extended mag for a 'if needed' situation after the main mag is empty.. just in case there are .. oh.. 7 of them.. :)

soundguy

Soundguy,
We think alike. I carry a Sig 230 as a primary. I also have a Sig 226 for occasional carry or "glove box" backup.

I recently bought the 380 Keltec for times when it must be small enough to fit in a front pocket. I have both the belt clip, a pocket holster, extended mag and a High Noon Holster "Bare Assets" IWB holster.

I don't buy the ".380 is not enough gun" mentality. A .380 is plenty of gun to stop someone within 5 yards. If I had my druthers, I'd carry a full size 10mm, but it's just not practical. The best gun to have if the chips are down and you're in serious trouble, is whatever one you happen to be carrying.

/ keltec 380t #8  
Have you seen the Keltec 9mm it is the smallest 9mm that I have ever seen if I were going to get another carry pistol thats the one I would get. You all would laugh if you knew what I carry for a concealed weapon. I a NAA Mini Revolver in 22Mag. 5 shot. I know if I left the house and knew that I was going to have to defend myself I would take a bigger weapon but I can the carry the NAA and you don't know its there or should I say its not a burden.

/ keltec 380t #9  
I totally agree with what you and gsganzer are saying. Any gun is better than none. Me and my buddy use to carry little Beretta .25's with the tip up barrels, I still have mine. we were skinny kids and couldn't conceal much more than that when wearing nothing but cut off jeans and a t-shirt or no shirt.

I can't find any gun that's comfortable to carry, that's been my dilemma all my life and like you said if your not comfy you'll leave it home or in the glove box etc.

The biggest draw back for me not carrying is having young kids, now young teenagers, "why does daddy have a gun" to much of a hassle with other kids parents or the in-laws.

The gun I'm most likely to reach for when I want to carry is a Glock model 27 that's their most compact .40 not small enough for a wallet though. I'll tuck it in my waist or use their light weight high rise belt holster and let a shirt hang over it. Also have the full size glock model 22, that's the gun I would want if I KNEW there was going to be trouble.

Never owned a Sig, I know they have a faithful following though. I've got a couple of guns I want to trade in so I should be able to walk out of the local gun shop with the latest and greatest for no out of pocket cost. I'll have to look seriously at the sigs but I doubt I'd ever buy another .380 unless I really fall in love with one.