keltec 380t

/ keltec 380t
I gotta see one.. I don't see how it can be spaller thant he p3at.. which is the same frame as the p32.. uses the same 'fitted' holster and all..

soundguy

/ keltec 380t #22  
JB,
How did the Kahr compare size wise to the Keltec? The Kahr site makes it look like it's the smallest of all the mini-380's.

Post a review once you shoot it a bit.

I wasn't gonna do this but since you asked, get ready for a rant.

Bought on Monday, shot it on Thursday, got authorization number from Kahr to send it back to them on Friday, will be shipping it Fedex on Saturday. :(

First off, on size it's a little shorter in length, but a little taller, you can get 2 fingers under the trig guard, which makes it feel nice. Kahr fools around with the width, measuring just the slide, but that's not the thinnest part of the gun plus it has a slide stop, so not sure there. I think it's an ounce or so heavier.

The gun looks/feels great, I like Glock and it kinda looks like a glock. But I think they just tried to squeeze to much out of to little, of course due to consumer demand. I heard of some problems with Kel-tec and Ruger but all the reviews I found on Kahr were glowing almost flawless "you get what you pay for" was the theme. Well I said I didn't care about the price cause I thought I was getting something superior to the others but now feel pretty stupid for spending $565. for something maybe not equal to the others.

My review: Shot 225 rounds, the first 2 mags no problem, I thought wow that's good they say if your gonna have trouble it will show up right away. Well it was all down hill after that, shooting Fed and Rem ball ammo, 2 out of every three mags would have at least 1 failure some had 2-3 fails. The problems were both failure to feed and failure to fire, just 1 fail to eject, no stove pipe just didn't eject.
The f to fire was due to a very light primer strike, at first I thought it was the ammo but almost all the those rounds were put back thru and fired.

The feed problem was weird, looking at it you couldn't see what was up, it wasn't the ramp cause the round never got that far. You could clear it with a hard tap on the mag or a re-rack of the slide, no jams. on at least a couple of the feed problems the slide stop was engaged, I read reviews were the shooters said they had inadvertently engaged the stop but I know with my grip that's not the case. near the end I noticed the slide stop was just catching the slide, you couldn't see it moved but it was just enough, so that may of been alot of the feed problem I'm not sure. I tried 2 mags of Gold dot just to see if it liked the hotter ammo better but it still hung up.

Took it apart when I got home and didn't like what I saw the poly frame rail on the right side looked chewed up in a couple of spots, there is metal molded in at the front and rear but I didn't like the look of the plastic rail, also on the same side looks like a manufacturer defect, like a fissure right under the shoulder of the slide.
I already told them I don't want this frame back, which is alot of trouble for them since they don't reissue SN's like some companies do, would have to be a whole new transfer.

As of now I have no confidence in this gun, I find it hard to believe that the problems I experienced are unique to this one unit. so I'm not sure what to do now, If I could I'd just get my money back and start my search over. but I guess I'm gonna have to give them a chance as I don't have much other choice.

Worst thing is I traded in my PPK that I said I didn't like, starting to miss that especially now that I wont have any small pistol (except for a .25 mouse gun) for who knows how long :(

Sorry for the long Rant, but you did ask.

Attachments

• DSCN6616.JPG
    DSCN6616.JPG
    996.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN6615.jpg
    DSCN6615.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN6620.JPG
    DSCN6620.JPG
    975.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN6626.JPG
    DSCN6626.JPG
    899.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN6625.JPG
    DSCN6625.JPG
    912.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN6635.JPG
    DSCN6635.JPG
    805.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN6624.jpg
    DSCN6624.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
   / keltec 380t #23  
JD,
Thanks for the review. Hopefully, Kahr will make it right for you. Let us know how it turns out.

I also read reviews before I bought my Keltec 380. It seems like there's always good and bad reviews on everything. What finally swung me to the Keltec is that all of the range officers where I shoot carry one. I figure they must have some pretty extensive experience with the various offerings.

I only have 100 rounds through mine, so your review definitely proves out that more range time is needed.

/ keltec 380t #24  
For a small .380 and if you like the 1911, check out the Sig 238.

Personally, I think they might of hit a home run. Buddy actually bought one when I pointed it out to him and he loves it. However, honestly, I'm a little dissapointed with it's weight (to light for me comparing it to the Colt Mustang).

/ keltec 380t #25  
Nothing against 1911's it was my first love. Just don't think it's condusive to pocket carry in condition 1.
Can it be safely carried with hammer down and a round in the chamber, that way if you draw from a pocket you would just need to cock hammer. That might not be bad.

YouTube - Sig P238: Reference .380

/ keltec 380t
I guess now would be the right time for my range report on my p32 and p3at. Got an extended 11 rnd mag for the 32 and am shooting stock 6 mags for the 3at.

shot hollow point and fmj. total of 175 rounds.. and...... no issues. no jambs, FTF's or stove pipes... no ramp issues on the hollow points either.. which I sometimes expect.

extended mag on the p32 makes it unconcealable in any holster designed to conceal a small frame auto.. however.. it makes it fit the hand like a glove and shoot nice.. I reccomend the 11 rnd clip as the '2nd clip' for backup.. or the range clip.. etc.

paid about 285$ for each of them.. plus 40 for a fitted wallet style ( nfa legal ) holster.

soundguy

I wasn't gonna do this but since you asked, get ready for a rant.

Bought on Monday, shot it on Thursday, got authorization number from Kahr to send it back to them on Friday, will be shipping it Fedex on Saturday. :(

First off, on size it's a little shorter in length, but a little taller, you can get 2 fingers under the trig guard, which makes it feel nice. Kahr fools around with the width, measuring just the slide, but that's not the thinnest part of the gun plus it has a slide stop, so not sure there. I think it's an ounce or so heavier.

The gun looks/feels great, I like Glock and it kinda looks like a glock. But I think they just tried to squeeze to much out of to little, of course due to consumer demand. I heard of some problems with Kel-tec and Ruger but all the reviews I found on Kahr were glowing almost flawless "you get what you pay for" was the theme. Well I said I didn't care about the price cause I thought I was getting something superior to the others but now feel pretty stupid for spending $565. for something maybe not equal to the others.

My review: Shot 225 rounds, the first 2 mags no problem, I thought wow that's good they say if your gonna have trouble it will show up right away. Well it was all down hill after that, shooting Fed and Rem ball ammo, 2 out of every three mags would have at least 1 failure some had 2-3 fails. The problems were both failure to feed and failure to fire, just 1 fail to eject, no stove pipe just didn't eject.
The f to fire was due to a very light primer strike, at first I thought it was the ammo but almost all the those rounds were put back thru and fired.

The feed problem was weird, looking at it you couldn't see what was up, it wasn't the ramp cause the round never got that far. You could clear it with a hard tap on the mag or a re-rack of the slide, no jams. on at least a couple of the feed problems the slide stop was engaged, I read reviews were the shooters said they had inadvertently engaged the stop but I know with my grip that's not the case. near the end I noticed the slide stop was just catching the slide, you couldn't see it moved but it was just enough, so that may of been alot of the feed problem I'm not sure. I tried 2 mags of Gold dot just to see if it liked the hotter ammo better but it still hung up.

Took it apart when I got home and didn't like what I saw the poly frame rail on the right side looked chewed up in a couple of spots, there is metal molded in at the front and rear but I didn't like the look of the plastic rail, also on the same side looks like a manufacturer defect, like a fissure right under the shoulder of the slide.
I already told them I don't want this frame back, which is alot of trouble for them since they don't reissue SN's like some companies do, would have to be a whole new transfer.

As of now I have no confidence in this gun, I find it hard to believe that the problems I experienced are unique to this one unit. so I'm not sure what to do now, If I could I'd just get my money back and start my search over. but I guess I'm gonna have to give them a chance as I don't have much other choice.

Worst thing is I traded in my PPK that I said I didn't like, starting to miss that especially now that I wont have any small pistol (except for a .25 mouse gun) for who knows how long :(

Sorry for the long Rant, but you did ask.

/ keltec 380t
Nothing against 1911's it was my first love. Just don't think it's condusive to pocket carry in condition 1.
Can it be safely carried with hammer down and a round in the chamber, that way if you draw from a pocket you would just need to cock hammer. That might not be bad.

YouTube - Sig P238: Reference .380

if it's a sig with a decock..IIRC it should only fire with a triggerpull/hammer drop... that's why I own them..

safest loaded gun with no safety I've ever seen... deliberate fire.. or no fire..

soundguy

/ keltec 380t #28  
if it's a sig with a decock..IIRC it should only fire with a triggerpull/hammer drop... that's why I own them..

safest loaded gun with no safety I've ever seen... deliberate fire.. or no fire..

soundguy

Soundguy,
The P238 doesn't have the decocker like the others. It's controls mimic the 1911 (without the grip safety). I believe it's single action only like the 1911.

/ keltec 380t
IMHO.. if it doesn't have a decock.. it ain't a real sig...

pattern guns don't interest me as much.. though I know some companies use them to fill market need.

soundguy

/ keltec 380t #30  
Glad to hear your incident free range report soundguy, that's what you need to have confidence in what you carry.

No, the 238 doesn't have a decocker and it is only SA, I was thinking manual decock but that probably wouldn't be the best way to carry it.
The safety is not gonna trip to fire to easily, I felt them in the store they're pretty firm, but I still don't want to carry C& L in my pocket, definitely prefer DA now.

Watch those video reviews from Nutnfancy they're pretty good and he shows all the comparables.

I researched all the major players in the .380 market pretty thoroughly the past couple of weeks, though I guess it didn't help me make the best choice :Mad: spending 2X what the others cost and have such problems.

I composed a letter to Kahr today, I laid it on pretty thick and heavy about how disappointed I was with my new .380 and how maybe I should of bought a KT or Ruger.
Not sure what I want from them, get a perfectly functioning .380 back, get a refund, maybe send me a PM9 instead.

One thing I know for sure I still want a pocket pistol that I can count on.