Giving meds to dogs

/ Giving meds to dogs
I'll have to try the nose trick. I can reach down and put a pill as far down as I can reach, then rub her throat to attempt to get her to swallow; feed her breakfast; and still find the pill on the floor a half hour later.

/ Giving meds to dogs #32  
Our old dog will practically let you do surgery on him without wincing. Pills are easy. I just pry his jaws apart (think old school lion tamer) and carefully slide the pills down his gullet. Mind you I prep this by saying the word "treat". That gets him drooling and a little more receptive. Afterwards I throw him an actual treat as a reward for tolerating my b.s. and not chomping my hand off.

/ Giving meds to dogs
I am retired from Veterinary practice. Had a couple of dogs with seizures and gave meds daily. Gave 1000's of dogs meds. If you can hide it in food, then that is the simple way. However, like most everything it takes practice and dog training. Dogs are fairly easy to give meds. (Cats can definitely be more challenging.) For the owner, get your pet comfortable with you checking his teeth, gums ect. Start simple, just holding their muzzle, pet them and give positive reinforcement. Graduate to lifting their lips, checking the teeth ect. Next begin to place your hand over the top of the muzzle with thumb and forefinger toward the front. I am right handed and I used my left hand over the dogs muzzle. Gently apply pressure on the top lips over the teeth. They will automatically begin to open their mouth. Easier to do with a dog with moderate to long muzzle but it will work for the pug or about any dog. (Try pushing your own check with your fingers and you will also open your mouth!) Now continue mild pressure and wrap the lips further over the upper teeth. Mild pressure, you don't want to cause pain or it will become a negative punishment rather than training. Even the most powerful jaw isn't going to bite their own lip and your fingers are protected because they will not bite themselves! With the other hand (left hand for me) place the pill as far back as you can in the mouth. (For practice, try a piece of bread or small treat.) Now release your pressure on the lips. Now your pet can close his mouth to swallow. One more very important aid. The same time you release the lips on the teeth, take the hand that just placed the pill in the back of the mouth and lightly but quickly rub their nose. 99% of dogs will automatically take their tongue and then lick their nose. When they lick, their nose, they will swallow and down goes the pill. Now give positive reinforcement and perhaps a treat. As you become good at this, the entire above process takes but 1-2 seconds. Dogs than get use to this will almost open their mouth as soon as you put your hand over their muzzle.

Just had to add 1 more comment. I tried the nose trick today; it worked great. This is good news to me as my dog just acquired 4 more daily pills for whatever's left of her life. Thank you for this valuable advice.