110V Electrical Question

/ 110V Electrical Question #51  
I just got off the phone ... he's going to stop by tomorrow and trouble shoot this for me. Thanks I'll let you know the results.

Good choice. Now that I see the age of the equipment, and the troubleshooting you have done, it is time for the pros.

If it is a power company problem, the electrician will know pretty fast.

/ 110V Electrical Question #52  
I just got off the phone ... he's going to stop by tomorrow and trouble shoot this for me. Thanks I'll let you know the results.

I agree with Craig's assessment. I suspect your electrician will find either a loose or corroded neutral in the meter panel or an issue with the feed from the electric company.

You may want to consider upgrading the panel if the cost isn't too high since you're going to pay for the service call any way.

/ 110V Electrical Question #53  
I see a few problems with that panel that would concern me and with out actually being able to get a meter on it to check some of the connections, I'll echo what every one else has said, call a qualified electrician.

Don't play with fire (electricity) unless you know what you are doing.

/ 110V Electrical Question #54  
Do you think I should also call the power company to have them check there end?

For now, let the electrician do his job of troubleshooting it. If it's on the power company's end he'll let you know and you can proceed from there.

/ 110V Electrical Question #55  
It is unusual not to have a main beaker in the system

Is the panel a FPE panel? because they have been known to have problems.

I'm not 100% sure on the ground wire
I think I see one in the picture I marked up.

I would suggest you get some on in to change panel to a main beaker or add main breaker to it and have them diagnose and correct the problem

I still feel it is neutral/ground related or with the corrosion in the panel it could be the breaker connection on the buss
I would suggest you not mess with it with out being able to turn it off.

tom

Attachments

• 100_6190a.jpg
    100_6190a.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 100
   / 110V Electrical Question
It is unusual not to have a main beaker in the system

Is the panel a FPE panel? because they have been known to have problems.

I'm not 100% sure on the ground wire
I think I see one in the picture I marked up.

I would suggest you get some on in to change panel to a main beaker or add main breaker to it and have them diagnose and correct the problem

I still feel it is neutral/ground related or with the corrosion in the panel it could be the breaker connection on the buss
I would suggest you not mess with it with out being able to turn it off.

tom

Tom, The line that you marked ground is not the main ground that is the bare wire (neutral) to the well ...

Interesting that I see no good sized ground wire in the panel box HOWEVER there is a ground rod outside and a fairly good sized copper wire going into the bottom side of the meter box ... where it fastens in there ???? Shouldn't there be a ground coming out of the neutral bar to the driven in ground rod?

/ 110V Electrical Question #57  
Tom, The line that you marked ground is not the main ground that is the bare wire (neutral) to the well ...

Interesting that I see no good sized ground wire in the panel box HOWEVER there is a ground rod outside and a fairly good sized copper wire going into the bottom side of the meter box ... where it fastens in there ???? Shouldn't there be a ground coming out of the neutral bar to the driven in ground rod?

The ground could be tied in the meter socket but that isn't normal
but not having a main beaker isn't normal either either.

tom

/ 110V Electrical Question #58  
The ground could be tied in the meter socket but that isn't normal
but not having a main beaker isn't normal either either.

tom

Agreed, but not that uncommon for it's age. Either way, your electrician should advise you on what needs to be done to bring it up to current code and ensure that it is safe. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask for advice on his recommendations. You have at least three qualified electricians watching this thread and none of us have any reason to steer you in an unsafe direction.

/ 110V Electrical Question
Agreed, but not that uncommon for it's age. Either way, your electrician should advise you on what needs to be done to bring it up to current code and ensure that it is safe. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask for advice on his recommendations. You have at least three qualified electricians watching this thread and none of us have any reason to steer you in an unsafe direction.

Thank you to all ... I'll let ya know what he says, thought it would be late around 4:30 or 5 P.M.

/ 110V Electrical Question #60  
Thank you to all ... I'll let ya know what he says, thought it would be late around 4:30 or 5 P.M.

Works for me...

...here on the west coast, I won't even be off work yet.:D

Looking forward to hearing what he finds.