Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #11  
Re: Golfgar4 Back from New England

The resort we stayed at, which was appropriately named Smuggler's Notch, is a real nice family resort. It is definitely geared to winter activities, but they are making some real effort to tap into the summer type of activities also.

Here's a picture of the villa that we stayed in.

Attachments

• 332372-SN Resort #3.jpg
    332372-SN Resort #3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 94
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #12  

Here's a shot of the road that we drove up and down to get to the villa.

Pete (Boondox) had warned us that the road up the mountain was pretty twisty/turny and that sometimes trucks and motor homes got stuck. Well, he was right! I didn't get a picture of it becasue I was too busy turning the steering wheel back and forth. But it was a fun drive, especially at night! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 332378-SN Resort #2.jpg
    332378-SN Resort #2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 92
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #13  

We had a lot of great things to do, but didn't have the time to do them all. One of the absolute visits, though, had to to be to the Shelburne Museum, just south of Burlington. Bob had mentione it, so we went. Here are a few pictures from that day.

This first is of the main entrance, which is in the round barn.

Attachments

• 332380-Shelburne Barn.jpg
    332380-Shelburne Barn.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 94
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #14  

Here's a church that was located at the museum. All of the buildings were moved to their present locations from other areas.

Attachments

• 332382-Shelburne Church2.jpg
    332382-Shelburne Church2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 75
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #15  

They even moved the last boat that sailed on Lake Champlain. It's the Ticonderoga, and they built a rail line over two miles long from the lake to it's present location to get it there. I believe the year was 1953, and it took them almost a year to complete the project.

Attachments

• 332383-Shelburne Ti.jpg
    332383-Shelburne Ti.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 88
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #16  

Of course, no visit to Vermont would be complete without a stop in Waterbury, Vermont. That's the home of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream!

I can truthfully say that that was not the first time the wife and I blew our diets on our trip, but it was probably one of the most most fun!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 332385-B&J Garry.jpg
    332385-B&J Garry.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 85
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #17  

Toward the end of our week, we decided to take a little ride up a mountain in a gondola. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't recall the name of the mountain, but considering that there were a bunch of others around, I guess it doesn't really matter.

This first pic is of the chalet/restauarant at the top.

Attachments

• 332389-Ski Mtn. #4.jpg
    332389-Ski Mtn. #4.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 77
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #18  

Of course, there's always some smart alec around that thinks it's really funny to throw a snowball at the photographer while he's trying his best to capture the moment for posterity, all the while he's trying to keep from falling on his butt because of the ice he's standing on!

Attachments

• 332393-J\'s Snowball.jpg
    332393-J\'s Snowball.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 97
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #19  

The wife loved the ride up, but when we started coming down, at a rather steep angle, she wasn't so sure she like that!

Here's a shot looking down the slope to the bottom.

Attachments

• 332401-Ski Mtn. #10.jpg
    332401-Ski Mtn. #10.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 89
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #20  

I'm going to call it a night at this point. I'll try to finish with what I have left tomorrow evening. Got to get ready to re-enter the real world tomorrow morning. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif