Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England
Re: Garry \"Golfgar4\" Summers Visits New England

Good morning Garry,

Glad to see you got back safe and sound. I trust the remainder of your vacation trip out Boston way and back through Ohio was just as memorable as your time spent at Lake George and up in northern VT. It seemed like a nice 3 week jaunt, something Judy and I would like to do ourselves....but it will likely be on hold until Judy retires from teaching.

Sorry to hear your digi pics are not coming out for the first week of your vacation. Look forward though to seeing the rest of the pics from the remainder of your vacation. Looks like you had a swell time at the Shelburne Museum. From the pics you posted, it seemed like you pretty much had the place to yourself. I didn't see too many other people in the background.

We'll try to meet again at some point. Judy and I have been discussing taking an auto trip out west for 2-3 weeks. We were in Banff and Calgary, Canada a few years ago and enjoyed it out there so much we thought we'd like to get out there again....this time driving out. We thought we could leisurely drive through the midwest and up into Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and then veer north up into Alberta province. We would like to spend a week in Lake Louise before heading back east through the Canadian provinces. We'd certainly like to try to catch up with you and Jenny again if time and circumstances permit. Judy did regret not being able to make it. Sutton's brings back some special memories as that was the place we went to on one of our first dates. And while she can't fully relate, when I told her I had the opportunity to meet up with one of my tractor buds from TBN she was happy for me and hoped she could have made it since she also enjoys meeting new folks and making new friends. Fatigue and a long week at school, unfortunately, took its toll and....well, you know the rest of the story. Anyway, we'll certainly try to plan another get together at some point.

Well Garry, it's back to work for you and for me. Took part of last week off to work with by dozer operator in my hedgerow clearing operation. It went better than I expected and I got many more hedgerows cleared out than I expected with the one week's rental of the dozer. It's now time to get this additional acreage back into production after a 60-70 year hiatus.

Chat with you soon, my friend.

....Bob

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #22  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I trust the remainder of your vacation trip out Boston way and back through Ohio was just as memorable as your time spent at Lake George and up in northern VT. )</font>

Hi Bob,

The entire trip was absolutely fantastic. But nothing else we did could possibly have topped our time with you and the folks in Vermont. Being on vacation and seeing new and interesting things is always fun and enjoyable. But nothing can compare to meeting good, solid people that you know from the very first minute are exactly the kind of FRIENDS a person would always want as a friend.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( From the pics you posted, it seemed like you pretty much had the place to yourself. )</font>

Yes, the crowds were rather thin at the museum the day we were there. No complaints! We were able to stroll around the museum at our pace and take the time we wanted at the exhibits we were really interested in. I think one of my favorites was the Inn used for the stagecoach trips. Remember that one, with all of the weather vanes? I also enjoyed the large barn where all of the wagons and buggies were located. There was a group of school children (around 10 years old) that were on a tour, and the teacher had them by the Conastoga (?) wagon. She was describing it to them, and making them draw a picture of it as she talked. I was standing just behind 2 kids watching over their shoulders. I had to keep from laughing at their attempts at artistry! I'd bet their parents had a hard time figuring out what the drawing was that night! But they were obviously having a good time, and they were learning inmportant information too!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We'd certainly like to try to catch up with you and Jenny again if time and circumstances permit. )</font>

You just let us know anytime you might be out in this area. We'll make it work - somehow!

Good luck on your revitalization of the acreage you're working on. Some project pictures would certainly be nice so we can keep up with your progress! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll try to post the remainder of what pictures I do have tonight. I've got a meeting at church to deal with a very serious problem we're working on, so I hope I'll still be in the mood to do something once I get home. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But if not, I'll get to them tomorrow.

Until next time.....

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England

<font color="blue"> Remember that one, with all of the weather vanes? I also enjoyed the large barn where all of the wagons and buggies were located. </font>

I don't remember the stagecoach inn with the weather vanes. We were in a rush trying to see everything in one day and maybe we missed that one. Yes, the two barns with the coaches and wagons were very impressive. Largest collection of coachwork I've ever seen.....even better than Washington's Smithsonian. Another favorite was the old general store, the tool barn, the Ticonderoga, and the mansion house with the Monets and Rembrandts. I stood before those paintings for quite some time and couldn't quite figure why folks would spend millions of dollars to collect those pieces of art. Yes, they were impressive but I can't relate to the big $$ amounts these paintings go for at Sothby's. The 1950s house brought back memories. I recall a few items there that I actually used as a kid. One thing I couldn't figure out though was why there were no old farming implements on display. I would think this would have been a given in a setting like this.

<font color="blue"> Good luck on your revitalization of the acreage you're working on. Some project pictures would certainly be nice so we can keep up with your progress! </font>

I regret not having a digicam.......I could have gotten great shots of the dozer at work. But, I'll take 35mm stills of the land reclamation work and will try to post in one of these forums in next few weeks.

Take your time with posting the rest of the pics. No great rush on this. Quelling discontent amongst the brethern is more important.

Catch you later.

...Bob

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #24  
Re: Golfgar4 Back from New England

Well, 6 days ago I said I'd get more pics from our trip posted the next night! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif This is NOT the way to get back into the swing of things from a vacation! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I believe we had pretty much finished in Vermont, and we are now headed toward the Atlantic coast.

We decided to spend a couple of days in Portsmouth, N.H. and use it as kind of a base of operations and fan from there. On the way over to Portsmouth, we planned on stopping in Conway, N.H. and checking a scenic train ride that we'd seen advertised. To get there, we went through Jackson, N.H. What a beautiful drive through the picturesque town. The following pics show some a natural water way that goes through the area.

Attachments

• 334440-Jackson Falls #1.jpg
    334440-Jackson Falls #1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 77
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #25  

Here's another view of the beautiful scenery.

Attachments

• 334442-Jackson Falls #7.jpg
    334442-Jackson Falls #7.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 76
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #26  

Here's the best one that we took. Probably wouldn't have needed to look real far to find even better shots!

Attachments

• 334443-Jackson Falls #5.jpg
    334443-Jackson Falls #5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 75
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #27  

After stopping and staring at those views for awhile, and we continued up the scenic drive, and at the top of the hill we came across a really old inn. This is the eagle Inn, and is on the National Historic register.

Well, the wife has always wanted to stay at an inn like this, so we decided to give it a try. Fortunately they had a vacancy (actually, we got the last room available!).

Attachments

• 334444-Eagle Inn #2.jpg
    334444-Eagle Inn #2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 77
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #28  

She was very grateful that I agreed to stay there. I've never been a big fan of those older places. And from that standpoint, I was right. I have NEVER heard so many squeaks and creaks coming out of the floors and the beds. It seemed as if I even thought of turning over in the bed, it squeaked!

But this picture shows the real reason I agreed to stay there.

Attachments

• 334446-Eagle Inn #1.jpg
    334446-Eagle Inn #1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 78
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #29  

Here's a shot of the Inn from a distance. Very picturesque!

It was really a chore for me to get all the way out there and get that beautiful shot! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I don't if know many other wives that would appreciate the tremendous effort I had to put forth just to get a "Post Card" shot like that! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 334447-Eagle Inn #4.jpg
    334447-Eagle Inn #4.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 79
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #30  

Well, we did take the scenic railroad for a nice ride, and enjoyed the area around Jackson and Conway.

We then continued on to Portsmouth. Jenny wanted to get a hotel right down on the water, so we went straight downtown looking for one. I forget which one we stopped at, but when I heard they wanted $250.00 a night, I didn't forget which way the van was! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif We drove a little further inland and found a real nice motel that fit our budget.

The first morning we went back downtown to check out "all of those cute little shops"! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It was O.K. though, because Portsmouth has a lot of "interesting" characters walkng around. So I grabbed a cup of Green Mountain and watched everyone walking around.

This is shot of Market street.

Attachments

• 334450-Portsmouth Market St..jpg
    334450-Portsmouth Market St..jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 71