Name Your Property

/ Name Your Property #21  
   / Name Your Property #22  
My wife and I purchased our place about 2 years ago. It is a ~120 year old 2 story frame house setting on 93 acres of partially wooded farm land. I am constantly finding new things that need repaired/replaced. I am thinking of calling it "The Pit", as in money pit.

Ed King

/ Name Your Property #23  
Interesting thread, in early 1990 I noticed an ad in the paper for bids on a 1932 two room school house on 1 1/3 acres of land. I decided to take a look and found the school house to be very well made and kept up. It is 40 X 40 with 12 foot ceilings and full basement. Long story short, we placed bid and came in second. The first place bid was rejected due to financial reasons so we ended up buying for 11,000 dollars. In the next 2 years we (wife and I) stripped down to studs, added three car garage, very large attached green house and laundry room for a total of 7000 foot home. Needless to say the basement is my pride and joy, a 40 X 40 work shop. Now we end up giving tours on Sundays to people who drive by who went to school there. We get between 2 and 10 each week. The front entry where the children entered has been retained as well as the outside appearance of a school. Naturally our place is called the old school house. The bank and I will each own this place for a long time.
Paul

/ Name Your Property #24  
well ... first we named the "hobby" 'cause I have a "thing" for quirky names.
So ... based on my surname and my spouses loves for all things miniature ... the "hobby" is called "dahlhaus miniatures". My surname is pronounced "doll" ... so - ignoring the spelling, the pronunciation is 'dollhouse" ... which suits miniatures, right?
So ... obviously we're living on Dahlhaus Farm.
Note that the "hobby" isn't miniature horses .... as I'm not sure when I'll get tired of saying no and end up with miniature donkeys, sheep, llamas, etc, etc. If you just say the word "miniature" - her eyes light right up!

/ Name Your Property #25  
We don't have a sign out or anything, but my wife (Stacey) and I (Steve) live on a small rise. Or last name is Hill. Obviously leading to...

Steve & Stacey's Hill

/ Name Your Property #26  
My wife mentioned that she caught a discussion on the Regis & Kelly show recently about the trend of naming one's home or farm. She noted that they were talking about registering the name; I guess, like a trademark. We have been calling our farm "Briarwood." On a whim, I typed "Briarwood" in a search engine and was surprised at the number of hits from hunting lodge to college and everything in between. Who controls a name? Should the name be registered somewhere? Could we be sued for something like trademark infringement?

JT

/ Name Your Property #27  
We don’t have a name for our weekend house but all of our friends call it the mountain. I think they picked it up from all the times we turned down weekend invitations when we were building the mountain house. I wanted to call it “Southern Comfort”, my wife thought that sounded a little to much like rural N. Georgia./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

I have an Aunt and Uncle who are retired Navy and call their place “Home Port”, I always thought that was cute.

MarkV

/ Name Your Property #28  
<font color=blue>"On a whim, I typed "Briarwood" in a search engine and was surprised at the number of hits from hunting lodge to college and everything in between.'</font color=blue>

Briarwood,

I bet Briarwood Gallery didn't come up, did it? My wife and I operate an art gallery out of our home that we have named Briarwood Gallery. We haven't registerd it or anything, because it's an off shoot of her interior design business. Besides running my tractor (once I get it /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif) after I retire, we want to open the gallery full time and have a regular store front. We've decided that anyone that owns something that has the name <font color=green>Briarwood</font color=green> in it will automatically get a 25% discount - IF they stop in /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif!

/ Name Your Property #29  
Pumpkin Village Settlement is the title on our deed so that's what we call it. When I was in the Navy I told everyone that I would go back and live in Pumpkin Village Settlement. Boy did they laugh!!! Guess who got the last laugh?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif The road we are on has the same name and we also have the old Pumpkin Village school house at the end of the road. For us it's our little bit of heaven!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Oh and yes we do grow several pumpkins every year to keep the gods happy!

/ Name Your Property #30  
We are still working on a name. The winner so far is "The Hundred Acre Wood" from Winnie The Pooh (our daughters favorite show). Sadly we only have six acres (but all wooded). After we found that large canine print in the driveway last weekend <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=rural&Number=119792&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=>Paw Print Link</A> maybe we should name it "The Scarey Wood" also from Winnie The Pooh.

Spence