Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,623  
So what are people supposed to do when a controlled burn is needed?

No Kyle. For example, if that field across from you would be owned by a private citizen and the citizen gave a sizable contribution to have the VFD burn it. The fire jumps the street and burns your house. Your insurance will sue the person who started the fire and his employer. There is no defense for a VFD being involved in starting and trying to control a prescribed burn. Do they carry insurance for it? NO. The City will try to get out of it by saying the caption was bribed and the land owner will try to get out of it by saying he paid the VFD to be responsible and take the liability. . . See how messy this can get . . . .

Bird, a controlled or prescribed burning is an agriculture practice not a VFD function. There is a lot of liability and insurance involved. If the owner does it and does not follow all the guidelines a negligent, out of control burn could go criminal.

"Only one person (the fire boss) should be in charge of the burn. Identify who the fire boss is to prevent false alarms and unnecessary expense to the fire departments. This person must decide whether to burn and constantly re-evaluate fire behavior, ignition and control during the fire. Even after years of experience, there is always a need for concern and constant alertness. No prescription can be followed to the letter but must be adapted each moment before and during the burning. Before beginning the burn give final notification to volunteer fire departments, sheriff departments and neighbors. This cannot be overemphasized.

The landowner using prescribed fire is legally responsible. Arrange for liability insurance and involve neighbors in planning and executing the burn(s). Inform fire and sheriff’s departments. Proof of planning and use of accepted burning practices may be invaluable in negating charges of negligence if a fire escapes, resulting in a lawsuit. The Texas Air Control Board in Austin has specific regulations on when and under what weather conditions prescribed burns can be legally conducted. Obtain a copy of the regulations. It is the manager’s responsibility to have flagmen on highways to slow traffic if smoke obscures visibility. Generally, fires should move away from highways or houses with a good uplift of smoke. . . . .etc. etc."

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0196.pdf

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,624  
Looks like the next few days are not going to be to pretty .. Think this will be the last snap??

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,625  
Looks like the next few days are not going to be to pretty .. Think this will be the last snap??

I hope,we have to change a lot if stuff over so will run with warmer weather then have change back for the cold. I have to change back and forth too,lol

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,626  
I hope so, too. I'm like Foreman above, jump through hoops to "freeze proof" water lines, etc. every time it gets to 20's. I am not sure how cold it's going to get though. Forecasts are all over the board last few days.

And for what it's worth, I've seen a couple of flocks of geese heading north.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,627  
Them geese only made it to SE Oklahoma.. They was headed south this morning!!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,629  
Rain here ... Time will tell if there is morning ice!!!

Not that I'm concerned.. But .. The Jenny is ready ... Just saying

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,630  
41* when I got up this morning, and the front has come through and it's 36* and dropping. Has been raining most of the night, but we're just hopping that we don't get any frozen precip.

Charlie